W.A. prepper arrested

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

W.A. prepper arrested

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jun 2021, 11:21 pm

Looks on the surface storage issues and Owen gun parts.

But WTF, reloading manual and case preparation tools siezed. Talk about mountain out of a mole hill. Someone is desperate to look good in the media.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-11/ ... /100209390 :welcome:
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 7305
Victoria

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by boingk » 11 Jun 2021, 11:38 pm

Plans and parts for an Owen plus the barrel blanks look to be the most concerning. The media are doing what they do, blowing it out of proportion.

If you want to make a submachine gun, or any gun, regardless of what you think you're well outside of the legal contraints we operate under. Expect a knock at the door sooner or later.

I wonder what calibres he was licenced for?
Nil
boingk
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 446
Other

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Jun 2021, 12:09 am

Plans my hairy arse!!!!!!!!!! It is an exploded parts drawing from a LEGALLY available booklet by Ian Skennerton, one of his "Small Arms Identification Series" This has got to be the media beat up of the century, 3 unregistered guns (really? what, exactly?) 9 legal guns to call an "arsenal" by these wankers to horrify the plebs, God help any of you WA shooters with a dozen or more! Then a massive detailed list of totally legal to own (licensed shooter, remember) ammo and reloading gear to portray the man as some kind of gun mad murderer. If his storage wasn't up to spec, and he really did have 3 unregistered guns (which I have doubts about given the bulls**t of this press assasination) then he is for the high jump with nobody but himself to blame, but going on the paucity of honest, objective reporting and Police gobshite from this article I have strong reasson to doubt his guilt. NSC, anyone?
No1Mk3
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1329
Victoria

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by pomemax » 12 Jun 2021, 12:53 am

Is in illegal In WA to reload Ammo . I dont think so I buy most of my Dillon stuff from WA
funny thing you need gunpowder and dies to do that .
looks like he was licence to have a few cal ( firearms 9 legal ) and 3 in varying form what do they mean by that?
Do you have a limit of Ammo you can buy in WA remove the spent/blank 2500 ammo from that list he only has about half and its still less than 1000 rounds per cal .
I feel sorry for any shooter in WA
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1087
New South Wales

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by Tiger650 » 12 Jun 2021, 3:08 am

A barrel blank can be a vehicle axle, I once read that following WW2 high quality steel was scarce, surplus Bren Gun Carrier axles were found to be an excellent source of barrel material for fullbore target rifles.
The Owen Gun "plans" are just a straight up lie which will be accepted by the ignorant.
We have no friends, the best this bloke can hope for is an honest and unbiased Magistrate, they may also be thin on the ground.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 399
Victoria

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jun 2021, 3:28 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Plans my hairy arse!!!!!!!!!! It is an exploded parts drawing from a LEGALLY available booklet by Ian Skennerton, one of his "Small Arms Identification Series" This has got to be the media beat up of the century, 3 unregistered guns (really? what, exactly?) 9 legal guns to call an "arsenal" by these wankers to horrify the plebs, God help any of you WA shooters with a dozen or more! Then a massive detailed list of totally legal to own (licensed shooter, remember) ammo and reloading gear to portray the man as some kind of gun mad murderer. If his storage wasn't up to spec, and he really did have 3 unregistered guns (which I have doubts about given the bulls**t of this press assasination) then he is for the high jump with nobody but himself to blame, but going on the paucity of honest, objective reporting and Police gobshite from this article I have strong reasson to doubt his guilt. NSC, anyone?


Yep, just a parts drawing. And heaps of legally owned stuff listed as if it's illegal. Even empty brass.
I know the laws over there are "different" but huge beat up.

Not sure what this means.
"3 x unlicensed rifles (in various form)"
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 7305
Victoria

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 12 Jun 2021, 7:04 am

Let me get this straight, a casing is considered ammunition in WA? It is a piece of useless metal.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 152
Queensland

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Jun 2021, 10:10 am

G'day Communism_Is_Cancer,
Yes, in WA they equate empty cartridge cases to live ammo and require them to be secured just the same, strange but true!
No1Mk3
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1329
Victoria

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by Tristram » 12 Jun 2021, 10:48 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Communism_Is_Cancer,
Yes, in WA they equate empty cartridge cases to live ammo and require them to be secured just the same, strange but true!


Going off topic, but how do ranges in WA manage this? My local range had buckets full of spent 22 casings around the place. Surely WA ranges aren't locking spent rimfire casings
up?
Tristram
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 11
-

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jun 2021, 3:01 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Let me get this straight, a casing is considered ammunition in WA? It is a piece of useless metal.


Possession of brass and bullets in WA requires a firearm licence listing a firearm that can use them. They must be secured the same as ammo, and it is an offence to allow them to fall into the hands of somebody not licenced to possess them.
You also can't loan a firearm without the borrower first being co-licenced for that specific firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7904
Victoria

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by duncan61 » 12 Jun 2021, 3:16 pm

There is more to this.Why did a pile of police go to his house in the first place.I have lived here since 1967 and have had the police come out once for a safe inspection recently and they called and booked a time first
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1835
Western Australia

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by rc42 » 12 Jun 2021, 4:29 pm

Just to add that only re-loadable ammo is considered as being 'unloaded ammunition' so they don't care about .rimfire cases. There's also an additional advisory note from the police that states that they won't prosecute just for possession of used brass and there is an effort to get that particular bit of legislation adjusted. I'll see if I can find the reference to this that I saw some time ago.

This guy has been well and truly stitched up though, it looks like a few minor license infractions and most likely (pending release of further details) he just had possession of some non-serialized additional firearm parts which we all seem to collect as we replace or upgrade firearm parts. The amount of ammunition also looked pitifully low to me, I'd get through that in a couple of weeks. Add in his reloading equipment and the media have a log list of items that it's legal to posses, don't even get me started on possession of metal tubes, next thing will be any solid bar is a barrel blank that hasn't been drilled yet.

I've also downloaded parts diagrams for the firearms that I own so that I have a better idea of how they work and what might need replacing if they have problems, it's very concerning that this could be considered a plan to manufacture, it's like a continuation of the NSW precursor ban but without the overreaching legislation to go with it.
rc42
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 487
Queensland

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jun 2021, 4:43 pm

Rimfire brass is reloadable though, as lots of people in the US have been trying due to the recent shortages.
It used to be possible to buy primed rimfire brass also, for loading your own ammo.

And new firearms generally come with exploded parts diagrams in the user manual.


rc42 wrote:Just to add that only re-loadable ammo is considered as being 'unloaded ammunition' so they don't care about .rimfire cases. There's also an additional advisory note from the police that states that they won't prosecute just for possession of used brass and there is an effort to get that particular bit of legislation adjusted. I'll see if I can find the reference to this that I saw some time ago.

This guy has been well and truly stitched up though, it looks like a few minor license infractions and most likely (pending release of further details) he just had possession of some non-serialized additional firearm parts which we all seem to collect as we replace or upgrade firearm parts. The amount of ammunition also looked pitifully low to me, I'd get through that in a couple of weeks. Add in his reloading equipment and the media have a log list of items that it's legal to posses, don't even get me started on possession of metal tubes, next thing will be any solid bar is a barrel blank that hasn't been drilled yet.

I've also downloaded parts diagrams for the firearms that I own so that I have a better idea of how they work and what might need replacing if they have problems, it's very concerning that this could be considered a plan to manufacture, it's like a continuation of the NSW precursor ban but without the overreaching legislation to go with it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 7904
Victoria

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by womble » 12 Jun 2021, 5:22 pm

Dude is 72 years old. He’s not a “doomsday prepper”
Look at the guns they seized. Only thing he is prepping for is target shooting.
This guy is harmless, just a massive enthusiast. For some reason they take issue with that. And they portray themselves as having foiled a terrorist attack. These cops are just f*cking jerkoffs without a clue. Not all cops are bad, but some are complete imbeciles, case in point.
At 72 with a firearms licence in WA, that’s practically God status good citizen, come on this guy is no threat to anyone or anything.
Last edited by womble on 12 Jun 2021, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
womble
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 688
Victoria

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by womble » 12 Jun 2021, 5:37 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Communism_Is_Cancer,
Yes, in WA they equate empty cartridge cases to live ammo and require them to be secured just the same, strange but true!


It’s not strange it’s just plain dumb.
When was the last time someone was stabbed (poked ?) to death with a used casing. When was the last mass shell case poking massacre.
Fact is some laws are dumb.
womble
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 688
Victoria

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by Barbarian » 21 Jun 2021, 7:51 pm

I'm watching this one, I'm new to firearms collecting but thanks to family I've quite a library of reference material on old firearms that include more detail than the above mentioned diagram.

Unfortunately being lax in regards to storage requirements is a trend among older shooters that don't keep up with changes in the law, one of my own co-workers got stung with the same when he simply could not accept that his own home welded safe (Gent is a welder and an artist, thus quite eccentric) was in violation of the storage requirements, as he felt it was 'more secure' than the guidelines. Plates were all thicker than required, lock was quite hefty. But things like the position of the lock for the length of the door and his hinges were non compliant. Thankfully he only received a fine.

Hell I can remember when I was a young'un (I'm 28) that my local rifle range used an old double fridge to store spent .303 and .308/7.62 brass.

If you know an older shooter that needs a quiet word about his storage, please talk to them. Fudds, even ignorant ones, are shooters too.
Barbarian
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 10
Western Australia

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by ZaineB » 21 Jun 2021, 9:13 pm

youre still a "young'un"
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 315
Other

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by duncan61 » 21 Jun 2021, 9:17 pm

A shooter I know had a large collection and purchased the bank safe from The local Commonwealth bank when they relocated then built it into a basement and built a house on top of it and failed the safe test as it was not bolted according to the law even though it was near impossible to drill.True story
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1835
Western Australia

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by ZaineB » 21 Jun 2021, 9:24 pm

duncan61 wrote:A shooter I know had a large collection and purchased the bank safe from The local Commonwealth bank when they relocated then built it into a basement and built a house on top of it and failed the safe test as it was not bolted according to the law even though it was near impossible to drill.True story



I find that hard to believe, I have mine installed differently to the stated method provided by WAPOL, all you need to do is submit the setup as a non standard install, a vault would more than pass, especially when weight/size is considered.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 315
Other

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by boingk » 21 Jun 2021, 9:31 pm

Barbarian wrote:Unfortunately being lax in regards to storage requirements is a trend among older shooters... If you know an older shooter that needs a quiet word about his storage, please talk to them. Fudds, even ignorant ones, are shooters too.


This, 100%. I know of some really nice pieces, both practically and historically speaking, which have been taken by Police due to poor storage. Believe it or not, some still think leaving them in a locked cupboard is acceptable storage.

Basic advice - buy a commercial safe advertised for rifles. Tick off the few legal 'must haves' and you're good to go. Hell, I've got a basic ebay safe and its bloody brilliant for the money and ticks all the state requirements.

One thing a lot don't consider is bulk ammunition and reloading supplies - they need storage as well, varies by state but anything that can pop or burn generally needs securing. I'd highly recommend a large galvanised steel lock box from Bunnings or the like. Yes, like you see on the back of work utes. They come in a heap of sizes and vary from basic $50 chests up to bespoke chequer-plate wonders with multiple recessed locking points.

...wonder how this is going through the courts?
Nil
boingk
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 446
Other

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by duncan61 » 21 Jun 2021, 9:50 pm

ZaineB wrote
I find that hard to believe, I have mine installed differently to the stated method provided by WAPOL, all you need to do is submit the setup as a non standard install, a vault would more than pass, especially when weight/size is considered

My best mate was a close friend and I followed the story with interest.If the local police decide to give you a hard time they can to a point.The bank safe was failed for not being bolted down as required even though the house would have to be demolished to get to it.It was on the Albany Hwy between Kelmscott and Armadale and it was a walk in and all his reloading gear was in it as well.I agree with you that if you gave notice of your intention to build in a large bank vault for security it would receive approval but not so ibso facto
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1835
Western Australia

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by Faedy » 22 Jun 2021, 12:19 am

my safe isnt bolted down. and fully compliant. Mate has an ex gold safe, and its compliant as well..
177 Diana
177 Weihrauch
177 BSA
Ruger 22
C&H 22
C&H 17 HMR
Winchester 1892 32-20
Sauer 202 .223
Tikka t3x .223
Ruger .243
Lithgow 105 6.5 Creedmoor
Remington 7600 .308
Howa.300 winmag
Boito.410
Adler 12 ga
Miroku mk10 12 ga
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 137
Western Australia

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by duncan61 » 22 Jun 2021, 10:38 am

At a certain weight do they not need bolting?My story happened in the early 80s
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
User avatar
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1835
Western Australia

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jun 2021, 3:16 pm

duncan61 wrote:At a certain weight do they not need bolting?My story happened in the early 80s


Each state will vary I guess. But in Vic over 150kg doesn't need to be bolted.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 7305
Victoria

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by DaveZ » 22 Jun 2021, 5:53 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Each state will vary I guess. But in Vic over 150kg doesn't need to be bolted.


Qld is the same I think, unless you're keeping pistols in it, in which case I believe it needs to be bolted down regardless of weight.

When I did my gun safety course the instructor told a similar story about someone being done for keeping pistols in an old bank vault because it wasn't bolted down as per the rules. Not sure if that one is urban myth or not.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
User avatar
DaveZ
Private
Private
 
Posts: 69
Queensland

Re: W.A. prepper arrested

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 22 Jun 2021, 6:39 pm

Queensland only needs to be bolted for D,H and R firearms. For A,B and C it does not have to be bolted if the safe is over 150kg. You can apply for a commissioners permit for alternate storage arrangements, say for example you want to keep pistols in your 600kg safe that is not bolted.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 152
Queensland


Back to top
 
Return to Western Australia gun laws