Firearm storage

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Firearm storage

Post by starscream » 22 Dec 2018, 1:08 pm

Is it possible to have keep your firearms safe at a residential address that is not the address of the person with the firearms license? The reason why i ask is because i am 19 years old and still live with my father at the moment. I am about to get my firearms license but i would prefer to keep my safe at my mothers house (whom i visit every weekend) as it is in a much safer neighborhood and the house is well equipped with security screens, doors ect... compared to my fathers house which was broken into about 2 years ago, and again 3 years prior to that.

Is this an option or must it stay at the location of the person with the license?

Thanks.
starscream
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Firearm storage

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2018, 2:34 pm

starscream wrote:Is it possible to have keep your firearms safe at a residential address that is not the address of the person with the firearms license? The reason why i ask is because i am 19 years old and still live with my father at the moment. I am about to get my firearms license but i would prefer to keep my safe at my mothers house (whom i visit every weekend) as it is in a much safer neighborhood and the house is well equipped with security screens, doors ect... compared to my fathers house which was broken into about 2 years ago, and again 3 years prior to that.

Is this an option or must it stay at the location of the person with the license?

Thanks.

Not sure about WA, but it shouldn't be a problem. Ring Firearms and ask them about.

When I was in Perth I was burgled twice and they ignored the gun safe both times. I was called to attend a mate's place that was burgled while he was away and they ignored his safe as well. Both of our safes were inside built-in-robes that were opened by the burglars. Unless they've come equipped to tackle a gun safe I don't think you'll have a problem. But they may well spread the word and it might cause a targeted burglary at some point, so I would suggest a lockable door to conceal the safe if possible. Another mate of mine had a full-height roller door mounted in the end of his hallway with his firearms locked behind it, although that probably wouldn't comply under current security laws.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 22 Dec 2018, 3:39 pm

You will definitely need to contact Firearms Branch and find out. Schedule 4 of the Firearms Regulations isn’t very clear about it. When you complete the Storage Declaration it does ask if the storage address is the same as your home address. I suspect the answer will be no, unless your either of your parents are co-licensees. I may well be completely mistaken, hence the need to speak to Firearms Branch.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2018, 3:48 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:You will definitely need to contact Firearms Branch and find out. Schedule 4 of the Firearms Regulations isn’t very clear about it. When you complete the Storage Declaration it does ask if the storage address is the same as your home address. I suspect the answer will be no, unless your either of your parents are co-licensees. I may well be completely mistaken, hence the need to speak to Firearms Branch.

Here in Vic there doesn't have to be a licence holder at the premises you store your firearms at, they just can't have access to your firearms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 22 Dec 2018, 6:56 pm

Yes you can as long as you are the only person with the keys.I had a inspection on Friday and the point was raised by me as I have firearms at a separate address.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by starscream » 22 Dec 2018, 7:22 pm

That's good to hear. Thanks for the info and advice guys, cheers.
starscream
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by starscream » 07 Feb 2019, 8:49 pm

Just a follow up. Firearms licensing services have approved my firearms storage at a location other than my residential address today. Hopefully i'll be able to pick up my rifles soon.
starscream
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Mr48Volts » 07 Feb 2019, 9:06 pm

starscream wrote:Just a follow up. Firearms licensing services have approved my firearms storage at a location other than my residential address today. Hopefully i'll be able to pick up my rifles soon.

Nice one :)
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Browning XBolt .204 Ruger
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales