Converting Caliber

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Converting Caliber

Post by starscream » 07 Apr 2019, 11:44 am

I've been thinking about converting my .243 win to .260 rem when the time comes to change the barrel. The reason is simply better barrel life and a greater availability of match ammunition with the 260 rem. My question is how do i go about informing WAPOL and getting their approval? Is this a simple process of just getting my paper license updated or will i have to go through all the hassle of filing out all the forms like when i originally bought the rifle?

Thanks.
starscream
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Converting Caliber

Post by No1_49er » 07 Apr 2019, 1:19 pm

I appreciate that it's Sunday, but did you consider phoning WAPOL tomorrow and enquiring? I would have thought that if anybody knew, they would, and be able to advise the ins and outs of any legislated requirements.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2019, 1:36 pm

starscream wrote:I've been thinking about converting my .243 win to .260 rem when the time comes to change the barrel. The reason is simply better barrel life and a greater availability of match ammunition with the 260 rem. My question is how do i go about informing WAPOL and getting their approval? Is this a simple process of just getting my paper license updated or will i have to go through all the hassle of filing out all the forms like when i originally bought the rifle?

Thanks.

Down here, it's just a matter of emailing them and they'll alter the rego paper to suit.
Is it a viable change? Will your .243 feed belted cases? Is the bolt beefy enough to cut it out to fit the case head?
Is it not cheaper to simply buy a rifle and sell yours?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 07 Apr 2019, 2:16 pm

Have to agree with Bladeracer mate. By the time you bugger around getting the work done, it may be easier and cheaper (lots of variables I know) to sell and buy another of what you want.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by starscream » 07 Apr 2019, 2:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:Down here, it's just a matter of emailing them and they'll alter the rego paper to suit.
Is it a viable change? Will your .243 feed belted cases? Is the bolt beefy enough to cut it out to fit the case head?

I thought it would be a relatively simple process of just changing the barrel out since the .243 and .260 share the same parent case? I am no gunsmith by any means so i very well may be wrong. I've considered selling my rifle and buying another but i don't want to go through the process again.
starscream
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2019, 2:29 pm

starscream wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Down here, it's just a matter of emailing them and they'll alter the rego paper to suit.

I thought it would be a relatively simple process of just changing the barrel out since the .243 and .260 share the same parent case? I am no gunsmith by any means so i very well may be wrong. I've considered selling my rifle and buying another but i don't want to go through the process again.

You're quite right. I checked Wiki and they have a picture of a belted magnum :-)
My fault.
In which case, it may be as simple as barrel replacement.
Having moved from WA I fully understand you not wanting to go through their outrageously punitive, and expensive PtA process for a new firearm.
You would need to update the rego as you can't buy or possess the brass without a registered firearm. Unless you have another .243 you would also have to get rid of any .243 brass or bullets you have. You can neck the .243 brass up to .264, although whether that complies with the ludicrous laws you have their I don't know. Are you allowed to own .308 brass with the intention of forming it to a different chambering you own?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Apr 2019, 3:07 pm

Changing a .243 or .308 to a .260 is as difficult as having the barrel changed over (and headspaced correctly).

Mate has re-chambered a number of his .308's into .260Rem(I think 2 Tikka T3's, and a Rem 700), and loved the results.

As most people have said about re-sizing brass; ideally it's a better result to re-size up from .243, than down from .308.
This is supposed to be due to the donut that forms inside the neck of the .308 brass..
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 07 Apr 2019, 10:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
starscream wrote:

You're quite right. I checked Wiki and they have a picture of a belted magnum :-)
My fault.
In which case, it may be as simple as barrel replacement.
Having moved from WA I fully understand you not wanting to go through their outrageously punitive, and expensive PtA process for a new firearm.
You would need to update the rego as you can't buy or possess the brass without a registered firearm. Unless you have another .243 you would also have to get rid of any .243 brass or bullets you have. You can neck the .243 brass up to .264, although whether that complies with the ludicrous laws you have their I don't know. Are you allowed to own .308 brass with the intention of forming it to a different chambering you own?

Can he just add the .260 to the rego if he keeps the .243 barrel? Could it be registered as a .243 / .260?
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 07 Apr 2019, 10:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:
starscream wrote:I've been thinking about converting my .243 win to .260 rem when the time comes to change the barrel. The reason is simply better barrel life and a greater availability of match ammunition with the 260 rem. My question is how do i go about informing WAPOL and getting their approval? Is this a simple process of just getting my paper license updated or will i have to go through all the hassle of filing out all the forms like when i originally bought the rifle?

Thanks.

Down here, it's just a matter of emailing them and they'll alter the rego paper to suit.

I would have thought that this is not quite right, but is relatively straight forward:

Get the work done then submit a VP Form 1219, NOTIFICATION OF MODIFICATION TO CALIBRE
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2019, 4:41 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:Can he just add the .260 to the rego if he keeps the .243 barrel? Could it be registered as a .243 / .260?

I don't know, but being WA I would guess not.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 1Fatman » 08 Apr 2019, 7:13 pm

Pretty sure they will class it as a second rifle and make you go through the hoops as if you were buying a new one.
Best bet is to ring them first before you start work on it.
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by knowsnothin » 08 Apr 2019, 8:08 pm

1Fatman wrote:Pretty sure they will class it as a second rifle and make you go through the hoops as if you were buying a new one.

yep. property letter. therapeutic wait time. oh and $270 application fee
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 08 Apr 2019, 9:50 pm

1Fatman wrote:Pretty sure they will class it as a second rifle and make you go through the hoops as if you were buying a new one.

It is definitely classed as a new application. Here is the link to the FAQ on the WA Police website.

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/~/media/FA ... .pdf?la=en

The application fee will be about $190. Given the fee and process, it is worth considering the option of keeping the.243 and buying a separate rifle in .260. The firearms dealer will be able to advise you on what Firearms Branch would consider a valid need to add a .260 to your licence.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by starscream » 10 Apr 2019, 9:09 pm

cheers for the link. I think i'll just stick with my 243 and buy an additional 260 later on since it will be the same process.
starscream
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 13 Apr 2019, 6:51 pm

starscream wrote:cheers for the link. I think i'll just stick with my 243 and buy an additional 260 later on since it will be the same process.

I think that is wise decision. Giving up one firearm in the hope that Firearms Branch will approve its replacement has the potential to be a fraught undertaking here in WA. It appears to be a different story over east. It is what it is. It can’t be all beer and skittles living in WA.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws