Firearm import into Australia (and immigrating)

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Firearm import into Australia (and immigrating)

Post by LP88 » 18 Jul 2019, 6:43 pm

Hi all.

I am a South African in the process of hopping the pond to your side of the world. I shoot a fair bit here, and would like to continue the hobby when (if) I move myself and my family onto your shores.

I have done a lot of general research regarding your, somewhat prohibitive, gun laws. I am hoping some of you can provide some clarity for me...

I currently shoot a 5.56 AR15, an H&K P30 in 9mmp, a BulM5 in .45ACP, and a Winchester 94 in 30-30.

My understanding is this:
AR15 - no chance of ever landing it on your shores
P30 - Barrel too short to be legal
Bul M5 - bore too large (seems like a weird rule..)

Winchester - there is a chance... assuming I join a club and do all of your required proficiency training, undergo a probation period and maintain myself as a club member in good standing. this one has significant sentimental value, it was inherited and is a 200 year commemorative edition model 94 High Grade, I would really like to bring it with.

Can anyone confirm that the above is correct/correct my understanding of the situation?

Thanks,

Luke
LP88
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Re: Firearm import into Australia (and immigrating)

Post by Bruiser64 » 18 Jul 2019, 11:54 pm

Here is a link to the laws in Western Australia.

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/~/media/Fi ... .pdf?la=en

I would advise you to contact the Firearms Branch in the state you hope to live in. They should advise you of your options. You have 2 issues. You will need to be able to obtain a licence in your state. Then you will need to obtain an import permit from the Commonwealth government. You should be able to license a lever action 30/30 in Australia. I suspect it won’t be a quick process though.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 19 Jul 2019, 1:52 am

As Bruiser said it will depend a lot on witch state you are thinking of moving to,
If you can leave the fire arms in ZA its fairly easy to import your own fire arms when you have the required licencing it may take some time tho . might be better to sell all but the 30/30 and then when your able restock .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by LP88 » 19 Jul 2019, 4:50 am

Thanks guys.

Ideally it will be WA, with QLD as a second option. I can store the gun pretty much indefinitely here, so the time to get legal over there in Aus shouldn't be an issue.

Appreciate the advice.
LP88
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by 1886 » 19 Jul 2019, 11:54 am

The AR15 and P30 would be no go in all States.

If you choose WA the Bul M5 would be fine for Club Metallic Silhouette and I would assume also in other States.

The 30-30 would not be an issue once you get settled and make the appropriate contacts etc otherwise if you're not intending to use it for commemorative reasons you can register it on a collectors licence.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2019, 7:19 am

WA gun laws are the toughest here. QLD just a tad easier. I agree 30-30 will be no issue.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws