Deactivating an old Lithgow to keep as collectors item

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Deactivating an old Lithgow to keep as collectors item

Post by gregb » 06 Sep 2019, 12:31 pm

Does anyone know how to go about deactivating a Lithgow .70+ year old ..22 single shot rifle, so I can keep it as a collectors item (sentimental value) ?
I'm in Western Australia.
Cheers.
gregb
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Deactivating an old Lithgow to keep as collectors item

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2019, 2:00 pm

gregb wrote:Does anyone know how to go about deactivating a Lithgow .70+ year old ..22 single shot rifle, so I can keep it as a collectors item (sentimental value) ?
I'm in Western Australia.
Cheers.

Unless it's rooted, I wouldn't deactivate it. Can you keep it on Collector's licence in WA?

WA is probably different to reality-based places if you need to pay a gunsmith to it, and pay for a certificate of deactivation it could get ridiculously expensive.

In Vic, only the receiver is a firearm that would require deactivation, anybody can own the peripheral parts, but you need a licence to own even a deact receiver here.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 02 Jan 2020, 11:42 pm

I'm guessing this is the Lithgow sporting rifle, not a military trainer.
A collection of one firearm is legitimate in WA and sentimental reasons might (repeat might) qualify but if they don't you could justify it as an important part of our firearms history (Google "Smiley gets a Gun"). Ongoing fees apply but an historic rifle might be saved for future generations should anyone ever want to license it to shoot again. If it is a single shot Lithgow of the type I'm guessing it's probably worth, maybe, $50. The cost to deactivate and certify would be way more than its value.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by cflake » 03 Jan 2020, 9:34 pm

In vic, even a deactivated firearm still needs to comply with storage and handling regulations and it retains the same category and licensing requirements as it was when fully operational.

Since it's a cat A, it would be easier/simpler/cheaper to get a firearms license and buy a safe.

But to answer your question, you take the gun to a gunsmith and pay for them to weld the action and trigger group and cut or weld the barrel. You then need to pay to have the gunsmith store the firearm until you get a collectors license, which over here takes about 6-8 months. Then you have to buy a safe, put in a PTA and store the rifle in the safe. Same result, but it takes longer costs more and now you've destroyed it.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 1886 » 03 Feb 2020, 1:52 pm

gregb surely you must know according our brothers we have the worst firearms legislation in Oz so the correct info is as follows :D.

In WA you can have as many deactivated or replica firearms as you want and hang them on a wall.

They DO NOT have to be licenced or any info provided to Police or put in a safe etc.

So get a dealer to deactivate the Lithgo and hang it on your wall.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by 1Fatman » 03 Feb 2020, 5:44 pm

1886 wrote:
In WA you can have as many deactivated or replica firearms as you want and hang them on a wall.

They DO NOT have to be licenced or any info provided to Police or put in a safe etc.

So get a dealer to deactivate the Lithgo and hang it on your wall.

It is about the only law that we have that makes any sense :drinks:
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws