WAPOL Processing Time

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

WAPOL Processing Time

Post by N.Field » 17 Oct 2019, 2:15 pm

Does anyone have any idea of the current processing time for an addition to an existing licence in WA?

If it makes any difference, this is a Cat H addition with club support.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: WAPOL Processing Time

Post by Bombus1 » 17 Oct 2019, 2:40 pm

Submitted mine recently (Sept) for Cat B. There's the usual 4 week cooling off period and then they process. Once the 4 week was up, I got a "pre-approval"type letter asking me to confirm I wanted to go ahead and also provide the necessary evidence of gun safe installed. I submitted that 4 days ago and "they" reckon it should only be 1 week (2 max) before you get approval after that. Not sure on H class and what effect this might have (if any) and if you already have a WA licence for different Category?

Someone else might? Anyway...that's my current timeline.
Respect the process, Respect the Animal, Respect the Hunt
Bombus1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 17 Oct 2019, 5:22 pm

Was exact same question I was about to ask.

Shoudlnt be any cooling off period if for an addition - I asked at a dealer recently and they said about 6 weeks minimun current processing time in WA but not sure if they meant for orginal or for addition.

If anyone else has had an additonal processed recently would love to here ?

I submitted my additonal application yesterday for AB - will post here when its been processed.
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 17 Oct 2019, 6:23 pm

I licensed a .243 BRNO .22 Savage Hornet and CBC 12g shotgun on one application and it took 3 weeks.The firearms were my Mates who had had them seized on a domestic pile of poop and they currently reside at his sons house who installed a safe under my supervision and I have the keys.I have the shotgun and I actually purchased it new and gave it to my Buddy who has passed away now.The system is no where near as bad as some would have us believe and is much easier that the old way of going to the police for a permit then having to go back for the addition.Handguns no idea but the second .243 I put I needed a spare for culling roos no issue It is cool to have different rifles in the same chamber but if you want 5 rifles in bolt action .243 questions will be asked as the worry is you could hand them out to your mates and now you have a hit squad.Its a reason whether it makes sense or not the line in the sand has to start some where.You can have 30 lever rifles as long as they are not all the same.There is a lever club somewhere in the Northern suburbs I meant to go when I first had the lever .17 HMR but I lived in Roelands and it was a long way to go to plink at targets.You can put that as a reason for the 357 cos it would be perfect for that.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by N.Field » 17 Oct 2019, 6:58 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I have held a WA Firearms Licence for many years and it has included club use handguns in the past. I have maintained club membership but was unable to shoot for about 18 months due to illness and sold my gun but that issue is now resolved.

Currently I only have Cat A and B rifles. Anyway it will be interesting to see how it goes.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 17 Oct 2019, 7:14 pm

Do you go out Whiteman park.I checked it out recently.The reference to the levers and 357 were directed at pignmud I lost track of the thread I was on
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 17 Oct 2019, 7:21 pm

duncan61 wrote: The reference to the levers and 357 were directed at pignmud I lost track of the thread I was on

Cheers Duncan, year was given a bum steer around 2 leaver of different calibre not being approved.

All submitted now, just waiting for the magic permit to pick them up :roll:
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by N.Field » 18 Oct 2019, 7:17 am

duncan61 wrote:Do you go out Whiteman park.I checked it out recently.The reference to the levers and 357 were directed at pignmud I lost track of the thread I was on

I shoot at Narrogin.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 18 Oct 2019, 6:16 pm

Would be good to get update from someone who has submitted addition application recently.

From what I can see was averaging 3 weeks middle of last year in WA.

Last time I did one (but that was many years ago) was about 5 to 6 weeks.

Think all depends on their backlog at time.
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by starscream » 18 Oct 2019, 11:05 pm

Just got my additional approved today. Took 5 weeks from the time i submitted it. I've heard 5-6 weeks is typical right now. They seem to be a bit busy as my last one only took 2 weeks.
starscream
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 19 Oct 2019, 4:56 pm

starscream wrote:Just got my additional approved today. Took 5 weeks from the time i submitted it. I've heard 5-6 weeks is typical right now. They seem to be a bit busy as my last one only took 2 weeks.

cheers that's the info we were chasing

ill post when I receive mine and how long it took.
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Bombus1 » 21 Oct 2019, 2:45 pm

Bombus1 wrote:Submitted mine recently (Sept) for Cat B. There's the usual 4 week cooling off period and then they process. Once the 4 week was up, I got a "pre-approval"type letter asking me to confirm I wanted to go ahead and also provide the necessary evidence of gun safe installed. I submitted that 4 days ago and "they" reckon it should only be 1 week (2 max) before you get approval after that. Not sure on H class and what effect this might have (if any) and if you already have a WA licence for different Category?

*UPDATE* - got my license last week so all up 6 weeks give or take for a NEW LICENSE from go to woe. Not sure on additional license time though, sorry.

Picked up my new Howa .308 in stainless on the weekend. Adding a 4-12x50 Zeiss scope.

Next stop - deer hunting in Vic. Yew! 8-)
Respect the process, Respect the Animal, Respect the Hunt
Bombus1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Dirtyhands » 21 Oct 2019, 5:39 pm

Congrats on the Howa in .308 Bombus1, My farther is looking at the same rifle for the same task...

FYI for anyone else, my application to licence an additional firearm was just recently approved and also took 6 weeks to the day.
The guys I bought it off said aparently there's only 2 licencing officers currently in the center that can sign off on a licence and they were receiving up to 80 applicationsba day!! (Does sound like a bit of an exaggeration though)
Dirtyhands
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 21 Oct 2019, 9:49 pm

Bombus1 wrote:
Bombus1 wrote:Submitted mine recently (Sept) for Cat B. There's the usual 4 week cooling off period and then they process. Once the 4 week was up, I got a "pre-approval"type letter asking me to confirm I wanted to go ahead and also provide the necessary evidence of gun safe installed. I submitted that 4 days ago and "they" reckon it should only be 1 week (2 max) before you get approval after that. Not sure on H class and what effect this might have (if any) and if you already have a WA licence for different Category?

*UPDATE* - got my license last week so all up 6 weeks give or take for a NEW LICENSE from go to woe. Not sure on additional license time though, sorry.

Picked up my new Howa .308 in stainless on the weekend. Adding a 4-12x50 Zeiss scope.

Next stop - deer hunting in Vic. Yew! 8-)

thanks for update, nice rifle ! I'm taking a guess mine will be 4 to 5 weeks for addition. Heard was 6 weeks min and on here one processed in 5 weeks so backlog on way down by look
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by N.Field » 30 Oct 2019, 2:11 pm

N.Field wrote:Does anyone have any idea of the current processing time for an addition to an existing licence in WA?

I submitted this application at my local Post Office on 17/10/19 and received my new licence with the addition in today's mail (30/10/19).

The accompanying letter was dated 26/10/19 amounting to a total processing time of nine days.

Have to be happy with that !
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 01 Nov 2019, 1:25 pm

N.Field wrote:
N.Field wrote:Does anyone have any idea of the current processing time for an addition to an existing licence in WA?

I submitted this application at my local Post Office on 17/10/19 and received my new licence with the addition in today's mail (30/10/19).

The accompanying letter was dated 26/10/19 amounting to a total processing time of nine days.

Have to be happy with that !

Thanks for update. I suspect catagory H mabye handled by different department (Was long time ago) or some applications get flagged for further processing e.g. minor criminal record (I have one from 30 years ago which I allways declare on application - exceeding 0.08 - technically isnt a traffic one so supposed to declare)

My one was submitted bit over 2 weeks ago.
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 07 Nov 2019, 12:20 pm

My last apllication was around 5 months ago and it took around 9 weeks to come through, in saying this its the longest ive ever waited and have had a prrvious application turn around in under 2 weeks
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 12 Nov 2019, 8:53 pm

:shock: Mines 4 weeks to the day tomorrow... still not processed, feels like eternity
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 15 Nov 2019, 2:12 pm

Approved today checking online. Lodged Wednesday 16th October approved Friday 15th November (30 days)

Still have to wait for amended paper license to be sent out (hoping some time next week)

So I was on the money when first guessed would be 4 to 5 weeks.

Hopes this helps for anyone wondering time frame for addition application.

Mine was for Cat A and Cat B (2 rifles) with property letter support with an existing H class license for many years through club.
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by kb1 » 19 Nov 2019, 10:15 pm

260 remington took a full month as additional.
Got told couldnt have it due to already having 222. Typical crap from them making it hard.
They pull 2.2 million per year in application fees youd think theyd be more efficient.
Victoria a week and 30 dollars
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 19 Nov 2019, 11:41 pm

kb1 wrote:260 remington took a full month as additional.
Got told couldnt have it due to already having 222. Typical crap from them making it hard.
They pull 2.2 million per year in application fees youd think theyd be more efficient.
Victoria a week and 30 dollars

Bugger, was this recently ? Have heard of people having second similar caliber approved as ‘back up’ not sure if one scopes one not etc
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 21 Nov 2019, 3:37 pm

Paper license came today in mail for Cat A and B additions

Submitted 16/10/19, approved by checking online on 15/11/19, paper license recieved 21/11/19

36 days total - (5 weeks and 1 day) - which was what I expected.

Now for some fun plinking at the farm some weekend soon with my new bl-22 :)
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by glenn777 » 04 Jun 2020, 9:37 pm

For anyone interested in post gunshop shutdown application times I've just had my additional approved for a shotgun and centrefire in 8 days (which included a public holiday).

That is awesome! I'm wondering if the pressure from NSC is kicking them into gear?
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 05 Jun 2020, 12:40 am

Wtf they put a 260 and a 222 in the same category? That's like saying a .17 daisy air rifle is the same as a 22mag.

What justification did you give for the 222 and what did you then give for the 260? Because that's like them saying no to my 223 because I have a 270, it makes literally no sense.

I'd be appealing that in writing with Sgt Timms or someone else higher ranked there, that or you didn't do due diligence when you submitted your application
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by PekingDuck » 19 Jun 2020, 12:15 pm

Applied for original license on the 15th May 2020
Received email regarding form 22 and endorsement of proceeding with application on the 28th - 13 days into cooling off period.
Saw on the online portal application has been approved on the 12th June - on the 28th day of the cooling off period.
Paper license in my hands on the 16th June.

So, waited the absolute minimum days in the legislation for an original application - not bad!

Just waiting for the ID card so i can go pickup the rifle!
PekingDuck
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by minimike » 20 Jul 2020, 11:23 pm

PekingDuck wrote:Applied for original license on the 15th May 2020
Received email regarding form 22 and endorsement of proceeding with application on the 28th - 13 days into cooling off period.
Saw on the online portal application has been approved on the 12th June - on the 28th day of the cooling off period.
Paper license in my hands on the 16th June.

So, waited the absolute minimum days in the legislation for an original application - not bad!

Just waiting for the ID card so i can go pickup the rifle!

Might not need to wait for the ID card. I received my paper license last week and could collect my rifle using just that.
I think that if you wanted to buy ammunition from a different shop to where your rifle is then you might need paper and ID card.
minimike
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Stevoid » 17 Sep 2020, 3:02 pm

Anyone done an additional to their license recently? What’s the turnaround like?

Thanks!
Stevoid
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by roids78 » 23 Sep 2020, 4:42 pm

Stevoid wrote:Anyone done an additional to their license recently? What’s the turnaround like?

Thanks!

About two weeks for the application and 3-4 days to get the new paper in the mail. I got an additional done bang on 2 weeks about a month ago. I've put in for a new .22 and its gone over about 13 days now without anything on the portal.
roids78
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws