SSAA Benefits?

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: SSAA Benefits?

Post by Grandadbushy » 23 Apr 2020, 4:32 pm

G'day AC mate I somewhat agree with you but there is no reason not to have gun laws and several other things the same through out Australia the governing part can be similar as now as a Federation bit like the rail gauge was brought to standard throughout Australia , Banks, Doctors many things gun laws should be the same but on saying that the hunting side would be slightly different as we don't have the deer like down south and the seasons but I doubt that would concern a licence . I wasn't suggesting that the states should be one, only the gun laws for example you loose your car licence you can't get a licence from any other state as I hear it so they can unite on that front why not gun laws , but you have valid points there mate as far as the political parties, well they all would squeeze gun laws if it meant votes for them and yes labour did do as you've said but you've got to remember who and what political party brought in gun laws and lied through their teeth saying they wouldn't change them, so they're all as bad as each other just at different times. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Apr 2020, 5:21 pm

State and federal laws and who has the authority to do what. Is refered to as "powers" in the constitution.

See Part V – Powers of the Parliament of the Australian constitution.

It lists the powers on the commonwealth (federal) parliament.

What isnt listed there more or less falls to the States. Guns/firearms don't get a mention.

Get a pdf copy here. A bit of light reading. Lol

https://www.aph.gov.au/about_parliament ... nstitution
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 23 Apr 2020, 8:38 pm

I think the SSAA membership would be suffering severely, only for the cheap insurance policy they offer with membership. I hear they honour claims with minimal fuss, but I can't speak from experience. Make no mistake SSAA is driven by profit, and not much else.......
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Apr 2020, 8:52 pm

We don't have one standard railway guage in Australia
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 23 Apr 2020, 9:00 pm

Yeah, ok then my bad but I thought all gauges were brought into uniform in 1989 but I could be wrong or by the sounds of it I am ,thanks for pointing that out SH but how does the Ghan rail train go up the center through different states on one line ? So then I will have to get my facts right thanks again
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 23 Apr 2020, 11:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:State and federal laws and who has the authority to do what. Is refered to as "powers" in the constitution.

See Part V – Powers of the Parliament of the Australian constitution.

It lists the powers on the commonwealth (federal) parliament.

What isnt listed there more or less falls to the States. Guns/firearms don't get a mention.

Get a pdf copy here. A bit of light reading. Lol

https://www.aph.gov.au/about_parliament ... nstitution

The constitution grants very limited exclusive powers to the Commonwealth Government in section 52 but the number of exclusive powers is quite small - three.
On any of the matters listed in section 51 both the Commonwealth and the State may make laws however where there is any inconsistency the Commonwealth law takes precedence to the extent of the inconsistency - these are shared powers.. Anything not specifically mentioned is exclusively for the States - in theory.
Foreign affairs and international trade is one area which the Commonwealth has the power to make laws. By signing international treaties (for the protection of wilderness for example) the States are automatically bound by the terms of the treaty - that's why the Gordon below Franklin Dam never got built. It is the Commonwealth Government's way of extending their reach into areas that the authors of the Constitution never intended for the Commonwealth to have power.
Human rights, health, education, refugees, indigenous peoples, whaling, nuclear energy....any international agreement or treaty they sign automatically binds the states and the States can't make a valid law that is not consistent with the Commonwealth agreement. The original intent was to limit the range of areas that the Commonwealth could legislate. Successive governments and sympathetic High Court appointees have twisted it to the opposite position.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Apr 2020, 8:00 am

Thanks DJ. Must be 20 years since i read much of it.

Most people are completely ignorant of the part it plays in how we live.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 26 Apr 2020, 1:51 am

One observation I've made - it may not be accurate so please feel free to correct me - WA police, fisheries, park rangers, council rangers or anyone with any power at all start from an assumption that Joe Citizen is going to break the rules and said official is duty bound to uncover what you are doing wrong. They will search a car until a defect, however minor, is found, find a left over cartridge case from 10 years ago, whatever...
In my dealings in other states, the approach is quite different - they start from a base of "how can we help you to comply with the rules" rather than an automatic assumption of guilt.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MinuteofGoat » 01 May 2020, 7:04 pm

I have family relations who sit for election to state parliament on the simple basis that they control other party's votes. My relations are religious nutters and proudly say so. They don't ever expect to be voted in, but they know that they will get a few percent of the votes. They go to the major candidates and shop around with what they want. If the major candidate will promise that their religious based policy will get included, their preference votes go to that major candidate. If the major candidate is in a marginal seat, that is gold.

They do it knowing that they are basically controlling 100% of the population with 3% of the vote, and smile about it. I assume that's what is happening against shooters, And I think we need to make it work for us.

All we need is the right people to stand for election and be as shonky as everyone else already is.
MinuteofGoat
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Bill » 01 May 2020, 7:33 pm

What I find disappointing is there seems to be little to no vision for Shooters in Sydney, where is the Mission statement and their plans for the future ??

Whats the 5, 10 and 20yr goal for Indoor shooting faclities in the biggest market in Australia ??

Where is the plan for a new 100m AIR CONDITIONED 50 lane shooting centre for Sydney that can handle the future growth of the Sport and includes al; caibres upto 0.60 ??.

Right now I see nothing on there website, am I missing something here ?? :thumbsdown:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Western Australia gun laws