WAPOL Fees

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

WAPOL Fees

Post by Diamond Jim » 17 Apr 2020, 6:48 pm

A link to the WAPOL firearms fees just for the interest of our interstate colleagues. You may need to copy and paste the address into your address bar. It is eye-watering!

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/About-Us/O ... cence-fees
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Re: WAPOL Fees

Post by AussieCapitalist » 17 Apr 2020, 8:30 pm

Very expensive. My new QLD licence lasts for 10 years and cost me $461.15
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 19 Apr 2020, 4:01 am

We must renew annually - $3....$45, $48, $51, $53, $55, $58 - who knows what it will be next year.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Apr 2020, 5:36 am

G'day Diamond Jim,
Your fees are actually cheaper than Victoria if you own only 1 firearm in each category, for instance 1 centrefire rifle is $56/yr for you and $56.10/yr for me, handgun for you is $56/yr WA and 68.26/yr Vic, and collectors is $20/yr WA and $85/yr for Vic, much higher then yours. Where it falls down is adding more firearms, for us here a Permit for a new longarm, be it shooting or collecting is $9.20, and for a handgun, again whether shooting or collecting $53.20. The enormity of the charges over there would mean I could never build the collection I have, not to mention the additional charges for "Property Letters", etc. They seem to b doing their level best to price you out of owning multiple firearms for different purposes, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 19 Apr 2020, 11:56 pm

G'Day No1Mk3,
Just to clarify, in WA the $58 per year covers all the firearms on a licence. I own several classes (A, B etc) all covered by a single annual fee. What our fees do achieve is they encourage people to add several firearms with a single application to "average down" the fee over several firearms. It actually achieves the opposite effect to what they want. If you are paying $188 to add an air rifle why not buy that shotgun as well and the centrefire you've been wanting. It costs no more.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws