WA Property Letter For Multiple Calibres

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: WA Property Letter For Multiple Calibres

Post by glenn777 » 27 May 2020, 12:54 pm

Personally I'm lucky in that I have family who own large farms and friends also, so have no trouble getting a property letter from multiple sources.
I'm sure farmers do do it especially for inner city folk who want rec/hunt/shoot licences, most gun shops will provide you a letter for a price.
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 27 May 2020, 2:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
glenn777 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Don't you have to buy a new property letter for each rifle every year?

No, it's a one off with the gun application.
You can have one property letter for multiple guns if it's big enough. I got 3 in my first application just to save in the initial ($280~) cost!

In that case I don't see why Police have any interest in how many times you'd attend the property.

Do you actually shoot on that property or is it still just a cash cow for property owners selling letters for firearm applications?

In regards to my mates mess, it appears the police were being opportunistic - rather than targeting specific questions...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Troyus » 27 May 2020, 6:43 pm

Any luck with the original question on multiple guns on one letter? Local gun shop can only do one gun per letter to buy.
I want to co- license a few of my old mans guns so I can take them out. One of them is a .22 he bought for me when I was 10 or 12.
Last edited by Troyus on 28 May 2020, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troyus
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 28 May 2020, 12:16 am

Well of course they can, they can even list calibres as "any" which leaves the door wide open, however it will then depend on property size and type of vermin/pests.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 May 2020, 12:31 am

glenn777 wrote:Personally I'm lucky in that I have family who own large farms and friends also, so have no trouble getting a property letter from multiple sources.
I'm sure farmers do do it especially for inner city folk who want rec/hunt/shoot licences, most gun shops will provide you a letter for a price.

Yes, I know, but generally you are only buying the letter, not the right to actually go and shoot on that property
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 28 May 2020, 11:07 am

Who buys letters anyway, lame as... Get out off the couch and meet people and network. Why rely on something that is essentially on the chopping block as we speak?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by MinuteofGoat » 28 May 2020, 11:06 pm

I haven't heard of anyone baking asked to justify a .30 cal outside of this post. Thankfully! I have to wonder why wapol targeted him for an answer. They aren't the friendliest bunch, but usually they don't ask unless you do something out of the norms, or have a huge cannon.

As for the original question about multiple calibres, they need to have a need. A 308 with a heavy barrel and stock is very different to a stalking 30-06. A friend has two 308s, one is a pump Action. Wapol asked about it, he said the pump is for rapid follow up shots for pigs, the other is for long range shots. They had no problems with that.
MinuteofGoat
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 28 May 2020, 11:09 pm

Ziege wrote:Who buys letters anyway, lame as... Get out off the couch and meet people and network. Why rely on something that is essentially on the chopping block as we speak?

I cannot fathom “buying” letters...it makes a complete mockery of the system...wanna a gun mate? Here I’ll print and sign this for $300 but I don’t want you actually using the property...only the letter.
Maybe that’s why my mate got called Re his firearms - perhaps wapol are looking at the insane process..don’t know.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by MinuteofGoat » 28 May 2020, 11:28 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Ziege wrote:Who buys letters anyway, lame as... Get out off the couch and meet people and network. Why rely on something that is essentially on the chopping block as we speak?

I cannot fathom “buying” letters...it makes a complete mockery of the system...wanna a gun mate? Here I’ll print and sign this for $300 but I don’t want you actually using the property...only the letter.
Maybe that’s why my mate got called Re his firearms - perhaps wapol are looking at the insane process..don’t know.

The letter system is stupid, but it's what wapol basically come up with. If they don't like it then too bad, let us use club membership like other states do.
MinuteofGoat
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 29 May 2020, 12:06 am

WAPOL would never allow club justified firearms to be used for recreational hunting, if you use club endorsement in WA your firearm will never be legally allowed to use on private land for recreational hunting.

The letter system is stupid and it's not legislated either, which is just the cops acting above the law which is in itself illegal in essence as they are not there to make up rules but to follow those put in place by ELECTED members of parliament, not non elected bigots.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Troyus » 29 May 2020, 3:03 am

Hard for someone with no guns, no license to convince a random farmer you are a great guy, great shot and please give me a letter to run around with a gun on your property.
Troyus
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by AussieCapitalist » 29 May 2020, 7:53 am

TassieTiger wrote:

Well its the same in QLD but instead of buying your letter from a farmer like in WA you just buy it from the shooters union or SSAA because being a paying member of those clubs is a genuine reason to buy guns.

Thats why I hate the mandatory pistol shoots. Its just a scam to make make the SSAA more money. .
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 29 May 2020, 7:58 am

in QLD they give you rec use and sports use on your licence you just need to prove a genuine reason for one and they give you both. Most people just join the SSAA and use that as their genuine reason because proving a genuine reason for rec use you must provide property address and details.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by glenn777 » 29 May 2020, 10:47 am

TassieTiger wrote:Maybe that’s why my mate got called Re his firearms - perhaps wapol are looking at the insane process..don’t know.

You know what that might be it, the 'letter' he used for his rifles might be getting flagged on WAPOL's end as a 'bought' letter as there's probably a million other applications for the same farm and they're trying to weed out who actually shoots on the farm and who loopholed it..
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2020, 10:55 am

glenn777 wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Maybe that’s why my mate got called Re his firearms - perhaps wapol are looking at the insane process..don’t know.

You know what that might be it, the 'letter' he used for his rifles might be getting flagged on WAPOL's end as a 'bought' letter as there's probably a million other applications for the same farm and they're trying to weed out who actually shoots on the farm and who loopholed it..

Which would be fine...if only loopholes were illegal.
What they need to do is change the law if they're not happy with it, then enforce that law, not make stuff up themselves.
Last edited by bladeracer on 29 May 2020, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 29 May 2020, 11:01 am

Thats what I find annoying with he term loophole when people think its a bad thing. A loophole is simply using a law or regulation to its full potential. Like how losers complain about negative gearing like its some loophole for the rich. Negative gearing is available for all to use equally.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2020, 11:07 am

AussieCapitalist wrote:Thats what I find annoying with he term loophole when people think its a bad thing. A loophole is simply using a law or regulation to its full potential. Like how losers complain about negative gearing like its some loophole for the rich. Negative gearing is available for all to use equally.

Yep, if it's not a _legal_ alternative then it's not a loophole :-)

If our laws were written in fairness to all and so as to be understood by everybody we wouldn't need to look for loopholes.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by glenn777 » 29 May 2020, 12:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:
glenn777 wrote:

Which would be fine...if only loopholes were illegal.
What they need to do is change the law if they're not happy with it, then enforce that law, not make stuff up themselves.

100% agree, but this is WAPOL we're talking about look what they're trying to do to Ella Valla station.
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 29 May 2020, 5:01 pm

Troyus wrote:

Hard for someone with no guns, no license to convince a random farmer you are a great guy, great shot and please give me a letter to run around with a gun on your property.

Perhaps, but I do know it's on the chopping block so I wouldn't be sitting cozy if I was someone that relied on such a weak loophole. Very easy for them to remove your genuine need when they can verify that 2000 shooters couldn't possibly be on the same property. Not to mention the exaggerated pest species that are more often than not on those letters. Which is something else WAPOL are starting to get s**ty about. All in all its a very bad idea to rely on one... As for your complaint in regards to my last comment, sure but networking and joining a club are all options
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by AussieCapitalist » 29 May 2020, 5:05 pm

People need to buy their own properties out in the scrub. So they can be self sufficient. Have all the genuine reasons you need.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 29 May 2020, 9:00 pm

That's exactly what I did here in the S/West of WA.
Bought a farm just for shooting on. I've got zero interest in farming it.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by glenn777 » 29 May 2020, 11:00 pm

Faedy wrote:That's exactly what I did here in the S/West of WA.

Legend.
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Troyus » 29 May 2020, 11:44 pm

Faedy wrote:That's exactly what I did here in the S/West of WA.

Can I get a letter please? :)
Troyus
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bibendum » 30 Nov 2020, 5:22 pm

Property letter is not proof you will shoot on the property but simply showing a place that you have permission shoot.
When WAPOL ask "Do you go there", respond with "Yes" if they ask when, you say "Soon" if they ask "How many times" you politely say "It doesn't matter as that is not a requirement of the act".
They cannot forte you to provide more information as they act does not require it.
There is no requirement to prove you are using your guns. They cannot take them from you if you don't use them enough unless the licence is a club or location restricted condition.
They can however take them if the property owner revokes permission.
-------------
Western Australia
-
177Air - 22Air - 22WMR - 17HMR - 22LR
22H -223R - 243W - 6.5CM - 270W - 308W - 310Cadet - 303Brit - 38/357 - 30-30W - 45-70G
12G - 410G
45BP - 58BP
32SW - 9mm -38sp - 357M - 44M - 45Sch
bibendum
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 30 Nov 2020, 6:41 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Thats what I find annoying with he term loophole when people think its a bad thing. A loophole is simply using a law or regulation to its full potential. Like how losers complain about negative gearing like its some loophole for the rich. Negative gearing is available for all to use equally.

Precisely, Only had this convo with a mate yesterday, I've never once had an issue with anyone investing and creating wealth, after all we are on Fiat currency, its literally limitless, me creating wealth doesn't take a permanently finite amount away from someone else, the idea that rich people are hoarding money at the expense of everyone else is the dumbest s**t perpetuated by lazy, "bare minimum", entitled, unmotivated, unionized, slack, wet fish handshake lamewads in society, it like all other means of wealth generation that is covered by legislation, is there for everyone to exploit, not just wealthy.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bibendum » 02 Dec 2020, 5:13 pm

BTW -
308WIN Humane destruction of Feral Dogs using frangible 125-135gr HP projectiles out to 200m.
30-06Spr Humane Destruction of Large Feral Pigs using 180-200gr Partition projectiles out to 300m.

Two examples of genuine needs as required by the Act.
-------------
Western Australia
-
177Air - 22Air - 22WMR - 17HMR - 22LR
22H -223R - 243W - 6.5CM - 270W - 308W - 310Cadet - 303Brit - 38/357 - 30-30W - 45-70G
12G - 410G
45BP - 58BP
32SW - 9mm -38sp - 357M - 44M - 45Sch
bibendum
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 02 Dec 2020, 5:30 pm

bibendum wrote:BTW -
308WIN Humane destruction of Feral Dogs using frangible 125-135gr HP projectiles out to 200m.
30-06Spr Humane Destruction of Large Feral Pigs using 180-200gr Partition projectiles out to 300m.

Two examples of genuine needs as required by the Act.

Precisely, this

same reason why when I do an "addition" its not stacked with 10 different pest species, each firearm for a set task..

nicely put bibendum
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 02 Dec 2020, 9:11 pm

I would think that when the WA Firearms Act was enacted back in 1974, the expectation was that a property letter showed you had a place to shoot or hunt legally. I doubt anyone thought of buying and selling property letters and this a relatively new thing.

So I suspect its to do with letters giving approval to shoot but the gun owner never being allowed to actually shoot there. Add hundreds of letters for the same property and no wonder they are clamping down. The genuine need or reason (always get confused which is which) becomes a farce.

These letters may reduce the legitimacy of proper letters. So the question is when people get licenced but dont have anywhere legit to shoot, what do they do?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 02 Dec 2020, 9:36 pm

animalpest wrote:I would think that when the WA Firearms Act was enacted back in 1974, the expectation was that a property letter showed you had a place to shoot or hunt legally. I doubt anyone thought of buying and selling property letters and this a relatively new thing.

So I suspect its to do with letters giving approval to shoot but the gun owner never being allowed to actually shoot there. Add hundreds of letters for the same property and no wonder they are clamping down. The genuine need or reason (always get confused which is which) becomes a farce.

These letters may reduce the legitimacy of proper letters. So the question is when people get licenced but dont have anywhere legit to shoot, what do they do?

They harp on endlessly at people who do......

on forums, facebook, gun clubs, bbq's etc etc etc...

I personally don't see a reason for the letters, I mean its redundant for me cos I have umpteen places to get letters from as well as writing them for myself.

I don't understand anyone who buys a gun to "hunt" with literally nowhere to do it, shows a lack of foresight and awareness if you ask me. Being completely green to hunting, knowing nothing about hunting and doing it effectively or more important safely, harping on at people who have been doing it as long as they can remember. Not saying they shouldn't get into the sport, just thinking there are much better ways to get involved and at the same time instill some confidence in people's minds of them being safe to take into a live fire situation.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Citori » 18 Jul 2021, 1:07 am

Firstly do not assume for one minute that if Wapol want to take away your guns they care how genuine or legitimate you are.
It is fully legal to sell property letters and 2 well known hunting properties in W.A do it, all the law requires is permission to hunt on a property. They sell you that permission and then you can book a shoot there if you want to later on. What this does is leaves the door open for you to hunt if you want to, because if you licence through club membership you can never go hunting, Wapol won't let you. So many shooters probably get open licences this way then shoot at a club most of the time anyway.
Make no mistake, if Wapol could disarm all of us tomorrow, they would, and they wouldn't give a s**t what any of us think.
Truth of the matter is you should be able to start shooting .22lr at a club on a club licence. Then change your licence later on and get a 308 and shoot pigs on a property. But here in W.A that is not possible.
Ridiculous we should be making the laws weaker, not stronger!!
Citori
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia gun laws