WA Property Letter For Multiple Calibres

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

WA Property Letter For Multiple Calibres

Post by Jacky_Boy » 17 May 2020, 5:34 am

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new 308 and a 30-06 and I was wondering if anyone knows of any farms or ranches that will do a property letter for multiple calibres? The only ones I've found, charge per calibre and obviously it adds up pretty quick.

Just trying to save some money, buy registering 2 rifles at the same time.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Jack
Jacky_Boy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: WA Property Letter For Multiple Calibres

Post by 1Fatman » 24 May 2020, 2:28 pm

The chance of getting a 308 and a 30-06 are slim as the licensing department will question why you need 2 rifles of very similar performance and why one rifle will not do the same job as the other. You will need to have a very good reason to get it past them. Good luck with it.
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 24 May 2020, 7:51 pm

1Fatman wrote:The chance of getting a 308 and a 30-06 are slim as the licensing department will question why you need 2 rifles of very similar performance and why one rifle will not do the same job as the other. You will need to have a very good reason to get it past them. Good luck with it.

One rifle with a heavy barrel for target use/spotlighting and the other a lightweight rifle for carrying? Should be no problem if you can get the letter/s.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Faedy » 24 May 2020, 10:36 pm

I reckon you will have to pay for each calibre.. I did lol. But you shouldnt have any issues getting those couple. Just give plenty of good reasons, dif proj weight and bc, each gun set up for different range etc etc. I got 243, 308 and 6.5 creedmoor and 300 win mag. Everyone said Id never get the 308 and 6.5 creedmoor allowed....
through no issue
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 24 May 2020, 10:48 pm

They're being more nazi-esque than ever with larger guns, even had a mate get knocked back for a 270 with a 2000 acre letter, they basically said to him that they now consider that and bigger stuff "big game" calibres now, and aren't gonna be licensing them for any old thing anymore. So whilst you might license them as separate use firearms, don't be surprised if they go and slap you with conditions, which would suck, my first guess is that you won't get them both. Maybe get a 30-06 for spot and stalk and a 6.5 or 270 or 243 or something for spotlighting.

Blind them with science, but remember the more people bulls**t them the sooner they will cotton on and just get more restrictive
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by JimmyS » 24 May 2020, 11:15 pm

Wow, how does it work for you guys over in WA?
Here in Vic, it's generally pretty open to anything, does WA not like you having more than one 30-06?
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 25 May 2020, 10:44 am

WAPOL don't give you anything you can't prove you NEED, so having more than 1 of any category B firearm is a very exhaustive process in a lot of cases and requires a lot of bulls**t on part of the applicant to convince them to approve it, another issue is "like" calibres so, for example, if you have a 270 and decide you want to have a 6.5x55 as well they will most likely tell you to hand in your 270, hence why I am not 100% convinced old mate will get his 308 and 30-06, he would be better off buying the more capable of the two (30-06) because he will be stuck contradicting himself why he needs each one.

You can have multiple firearms across category A,B or in a single category, you can have multiple calibres, but it's the convincing WAPOL that you genuinely need each and every one and how all the others dont/can't do the job, his reasons the 308 can't and can will contradict the 30-06 I'm sure.

Honestly can't see why anyone would want a 308 if they have a 30-06, but then I wouldn't have either lol,

Spotlighting in WA isn't likely to warrant anything bigger than a 270 if they are made to think about it too much, and even then on small game/varminting they will need other info like shooting in canola stubble etc.

The property letter is a conundrum too, the game listed, acreage, location of the property, how long that primary producer has known the applicant, and calibres listed by the property owner all come into play.

They're not quite slamming the door on 30-06, at the moment if you want to buy big, energy is the enemy, if the standard ammo for your chosen calibre has more energy at 300m than a standard 180gn 300winmag has at the muzzle then you're likely going to be s**t out of luck, some pollies over here saw American sniper and for some reason they all think that a 300win can take the eyes out of a guy from 2.1km with a severe dust storm blowing in. But in saying all that they are getting stiffer on 30cal Firearms.

Just the hot tip too with gun store pieces of paper to allow you to make your purchase that also cost you some money, they're already looking to ditch that loophole. So brace yourself if you have a bang stick based on one of those
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2020, 12:09 pm

I have a friend north of Perth who shoots - and he is confirming Similar to Zierge above.
He has a 30-06 and a property near Granville to shoot on, he said he received a phone call re his rifle / shooting practices (how many times he’d been shooting, what he was hunting, etc) and WAPOL then followed up with the land owner to confirm what my mate had said...unfortunately - my mate exaggerated his attendances on the property (he was worried because he had only been twice in a year) and he now faces losing his 06 at best, his licence at worst...

Personally - I don’t think it’s any of wapols business and old mate should have told them so...but they seem to be cracking down on .3’s in particular
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by AussieCapitalist » 25 May 2020, 7:10 pm

I find WA and its laws so bizarre. A 30-06 is not a big calibre, it just a normal old calibre as far as I am concerned. A big calibre would be 50BMG in my eyes. In QLD cat A firearms do not need a genuine reason and even though Cat Bs do you can pretty much have as much as your wallet will allow. Do not talk to the police on the phone or in person. Consult with your legal advisor before any discussions take part.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by glenn777 » 26 May 2020, 2:14 pm

And then even more bizarre we can have 50bmg and 338lapua (albeit probably a pain in the arse to obtain) where as QLD can't am I right?
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by AussieCapitalist » 26 May 2020, 2:38 pm

glenn777 wrote:And then even more bizarre we can have 50bmg and 338lapua (albeit probably a pain in the arse to obtain) where as QLD can't am I right?

338 Lapua you can get in QLD I have one.

50BMG is classed as cat R which is the same cat as machine guns and grenade launches. So it is prohibited to own unless it is inoperable. So any caliber smaller than 50BMG is legal in QLD. Need some .499 on the market. :D
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 May 2020, 4:05 pm

How would QLD consider
416 Barrett, 460 Steyr...or maybe cheytac 408 ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 26 May 2020, 5:52 pm

Well - just got from phone from my ole mate in Perth, who just had a visit from a police officer who was there to confiscate his rifles (30-06 and pws .22) and suspend his licence - they have advised they are going to do an Investigation into the declared reasons for owning and a recorded statement he gave over the phone pertaining to how many time’s he had gone shooting on the property aligned with his licence...fmd. Less than 24 hours after the initial call...

He told me this would happen and I said no way - surely they can not be so anal...they seem to be applying a version of cat H type laws in this instance...understandable that my friend was upset, so it was not the time to reinforce not to talk. But a reminder to all of us - even inert and passing conversations can sometimes lead elsewhere...

I asked ole mate to contact NSC - but I’m not convinced he will judging by his demeanour...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2020, 6:04 pm

Get him onto Karrie Louden or Ross Williamson.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 26 May 2020, 7:47 pm

TassieTiger wrote:How would QLD consider
416 Barrett, 460 Steyr...or maybe cheytac 408 ?

Legal to own under a CAT B licence if you have a genuine reason such as sports use or rec use. QLD law only bans 50BMG.
Attachments
catr.PNG
catr.PNG (128.11 KiB) Viewed 14995 times
Last edited by AussieCapitalist on 26 May 2020, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by glenn777 » 26 May 2020, 7:47 pm

I'm not passing judgement or accusing your mate of anything but has he had any run-ins with the law or had any other issues firearm related?
Just seems odd they're targeting him for a fairly normal caliber at 30-06, I mean if it was 338lap or something similar I would kind of understand why they would be kicking up a stink even though I don't agree with it.
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by AussieCapitalist » 26 May 2020, 7:52 pm

Sorry about your mate Tassy Tiger. I hope he can fight this in court as he may have been under duress during the conversation or something. This is why I urge people never to trust police. They are not your friend. Do not feed them any information before you seek legal advise.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 26 May 2020, 7:52 pm

Yeah the less they pay attention to you the better, I will probably buy a 45cal soon, haven't decided on what one, maybe just a good old 45-70, but after that I'm gonna sit tight on what I have unless something comes along that is revolutionary and I just HAVE to have it, lol, but yeah as ol mate said just before, never talk to cops, they aren't taking to you to have a harmless yarn, and they're always looking for people to pin for whatever they can, if a cop is talking to you, they're on a fishing expedition, don't take the bait, you have a right to silence and they are legally bound to not be able to make assumptions based on that silence
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 26 May 2020, 7:55 pm

No Glenn, my mate deano is as straight laced as they come. The problem is he exaggerated his attendances - so effectively lied to the police, never a good idea. The other problem is that he is so laid back, he will take this in his stride and say oh well - those shooting days were fun, pass me a beer and that will be that...he won’t fight it, he doesn’t see or care for the bigger picture.
It’s strange that he got the call in the first place...but for others licence holders, forewarned is foreArmed...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by glenn777 » 26 May 2020, 7:57 pm

Also it seems odd that while yes you do need a property letter for each gun you own at application, you don't need to submit a letter for each farm you visit you just need verbal or written permission of the owner (so I believe).
So he may be shooting at one of these other properties and barely get around to the farm on his original application. It just seems crazy to me are they going to start implementing minimum farm shoot requirements like pistols?
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by AussieCapitalist » 26 May 2020, 8:01 pm

TassieTiger wrote:No Glenn, my mate deano is as straight laced as they come. The problem is he exaggerated his attendances - so effectively lied to the police, never a good idea. The other problem is that he is so laid back, he will take this in his stride and say oh well - those shooting days were fun, pass me a beer and that will be that...he won’t fight it, he doesn’t see or care for the bigger picture.
It’s strange that he got the call in the first place...but for others licence holders, forewarned is foreArmed...

See, he probably is a nice bloke and he thought he was doing the right thing talking to the police without seeking legal advise. As a fit and proper person I do not condone lying to the police, however I am an advocate of people seeking legal advise before talking to the government. Purely for the fact that it could have long standing repercussions. He may not be able to get a passport if he has firearm related charges and if he does America and some other countries will not allow him to enter with that on his record. Fire related charges may bar him from owning firearms for a long time.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 26 May 2020, 8:04 pm

I wish WA was like QLD where you just join a gun club and as long as you are a paying member of that club than that is your genuine reason to buy firearms. Or get a property letter or own a property. None of this sneaky stuff that WA is doing.

That's why so many people just join the SSAA because purely being an SSAA member( as well as many other clubs) is a valid reason to buy firearms.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by glenn777 » 26 May 2020, 8:32 pm

WA is the California of Australian gun laws.
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 26 May 2020, 8:57 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:No Glenn, my mate deano is as straight laced as they come. The problem is he exaggerated his attendances - so effectively lied to the police, never a good idea. The other problem is that he is so laid back, he will take this in his stride and say oh well - those shooting days were fun, pass me a beer and that will be that...he won’t fight it, he doesn’t see or care for the bigger picture.

See, he probably is a nice bloke and he thought he was doing the right thing talking to the police without seeking legal advise. As a fit and proper person I do not condone lying to the police, however I am an advocate of people seeking legal advise before talking to the government. Purely for the fact that it could have long standing repercussions. He may not be able to get a passport if he has firearm related charges and if he does America and some other countries will not allow him to enter with that on his record. Fire related charges may bar him from owning firearms for a long time.

He is a top bloke, but too carefree really...what ever will be will be kinda thing. I’d hazard a guess he will lose his licence without charges, wapol got what they wanted, no point going further - but hey, I was wrong on this to start with so who knows. They even took his scopes on the rifles - I told him he should demanded to remove them as they aren’t registered items...sigh.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Jacky_Boy » 27 May 2020, 6:22 am

Well s**t boys, I didn't think it would be such a big deal, but now I'm reconsidering getting both.
I actually found a property near me in Albany that will do multiple calibres for a fair price on the one letter. If I had to choose, I would go the 06 as it gives me more options. It's still a heard choice though as the 308 has a nice short heavy barrel. It's tempting to try and get them both through as I would genuinely use them for different purposes. I'm buying the rifles from over east though, so they'd be sitting in limbo in a WA gunshop while I get the paperwork sorted.
What happens if one doesn't get approved, do you just get the gunshop to sell it for you and lose out some coin?
Jacky_Boy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by AussieCapitalist » 27 May 2020, 7:19 am

TassieTiger wrote:
He is a top bloke, but too carefree really...what ever will be will be kinda thing. I’d hazard a guess he will lose his licence without charges, wapol got what they wanted, no point going further - but hey, I was wrong on this to start with so who knows. They even took his scopes on the rifles - I told him he should demanded to remove them as they aren’t registered items...sigh.

Well hopefully they dont pursue a court case. Dont put it past the police mate. A firearms conviction will be good for their resume.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 27 May 2020, 11:13 am

Jacky_Boy wrote:Well s**t boys, I didn't think it would be such a big deal, but now I'm reconsidering getting both.
I actually found a property near me in Albany that will do multiple calibres for a fair price on the one letter. If I had to choose, I would go the 06 as it gives me more options. It's still a heard choice though as the 308 has a nice short heavy barrel. It's tempting to try and get them both through as I would genuinely use them for different purposes. I'm buying the rifles from over east though, so they'd be sitting in limbo in a WA gunshop while I get the paperwork sorted.
What happens if one doesn't get approved, do you just get the gunshop to sell it for you and lose out some coin?

Not really wanting to tell ya what to do but, if I were you I'd buy the 30-06 or a 300win then get a 6mm to 7mm of some sort, as well as a .224 cal of some sort. As well as a shotgun and rimfire, that's basically the standard WA kit lol, cops won't frown on much of that, the 30-06 will need pigs or bigger and 300win will need big game, deer upwards.

Cheers
Last edited by Ziege on 27 May 2020, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 May 2020, 11:20 am

Don't you have to buy a new property letter for each rifle every year?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by glenn777 » 27 May 2020, 11:48 am

bladeracer wrote:Don't you have to buy a new property letter for each rifle every year?

No, it's a one off with the gun application.
You can have one property letter for multiple guns if it's big enough. I got 3 in my first application just to save in the initial ($280~) cost!
glenn777
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 May 2020, 12:18 pm

glenn777 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Don't you have to buy a new property letter for each rifle every year?

No, it's a one off with the gun application.
You can have one property letter for multiple guns if it's big enough. I got 3 in my first application just to save in the initial ($280~) cost!

In that case I don't see why Police have any interest in how many times you'd attend the property.

Do you actually shoot on that property or is it still just a cash cow for property owners selling letters for firearm applications?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Western Australia gun laws