WA License Wait time

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

WA License Wait time

Post by Skytrouper02 » 15 Oct 2020, 5:52 pm

Hey guys iv recently applied for my gun licnese I'm half way through the 28 day wait does Western Australia have a PTA after the cool off period do we have to do a permit to acquire if someone could let me know thanks
Skytrouper02
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: WA License Wait time

Post by Faedy » 16 Oct 2020, 8:33 pm

normally takes about another 14 day - if you have your receipt from post office, you can go to firearms website, and see how far advanced your application is.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Skytrouper02 » 16 Oct 2020, 9:43 pm

Okay thanks for that mate I will have a look at the receipt hopefuly its not months like iv seen most peoples posts on here thank you for the reply
Skytrouper02
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Skytrouper02 » 16 Oct 2020, 10:46 pm

Skytrouper02 wrote:Okay thanks for that mate I will have a look at the receipt hopefuly its not months like iv seen most peoples posts on here thank you for the reply

can you link me to where i can find the license tracker
Skytrouper02
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Diz » 21 Oct 2020, 3:23 pm

I’ve gone 3days over cool of period and haven’t heard anything yet, do the send a letter or email about proceeding or form 22?
Diz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 23 Oct 2020, 10:49 am

youre just gonna have to be patient man, if you bug them trust me they will put yours on the bottom of the pile again. the system in WA is nothing like other states, there is no PTA

you will have to wait for your license to arrive in the post and you had better have retained that receipt from the post office because your license is not valid without the receipt attached.

the 28 day cool off means your file sat, unread and untouched, for 28 days. if its a few days past that that means that MAYBE its been looked at for the first time in the last few days, this precedes background checks, and confirming storage, references/property letters/club endorsements, after that time they will decide if you are granted a license.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Skytrouper02 » 23 Oct 2020, 10:00 pm

Oh okay well the post office sent my license application off but I got a receipt for getting the photo taken the fee of the application and stuff so hopefuly they printed two receipts and ones with the application
Skytrouper02
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 23 Oct 2020, 10:07 pm

the receipt they gave you when you paid for it to send it off is the receipt you need to keep
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Skytrouper02 » 23 Oct 2020, 10:11 pm

Okay yes iv got that receipt man sorry I'm new to all this but its good to learn so when they decide to start doing my license if I get accepted will they send out the letter to see my safe installed properly etc and I include the receipt and send that back to them
Skytrouper02
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 23 Oct 2020, 10:16 pm

Skytrouper02 wrote:Okay yes iv got that receipt man sorry I'm new to all this but its good to learn so when they decide to start doing my license if I get accepted will they send out the letter to see my safe installed properly etc and I include the receipt and send that back to them

Did anyone give you a storage statement/affidavit/declaration to fill out? you need that and you need to take pics of the safe installed properly, photos of the area its installed in, hold a tape measure up to the 50mm washers used with the 1/2" or 12.5mm dyna bolts or equivalent fixing, Ensuring that they can see you have somewhere separate to store your ammunition.

any other questions dont hesitate to ask. there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Skytrouper02 » 23 Oct 2020, 10:24 pm

Okay mate cheers and nope nothing like that just yet so iv got a week left till iv completed the 28 days iv already brought my safe iv paided for the license at the post office and got the photo taken and then they sent my application off along with my mums application as she's going for her a/b too so a week later the weapons&licensing rang her asking if her pobox is correct and rang the land owner who is allowing us to shoot our rifles on his farm to make sure we are legitimate etc
Skytrouper02
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 23 Oct 2020, 10:26 pm

yeah sounds like its all motoring along then. Just get that safe installed if its not already also, separate licenses means separate safes, just a heads up.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Skytrouper02 » 23 Oct 2020, 10:45 pm

Yeah mate all good got 2 safes for us mines staying at my nanas where I live and mums at her house also our guns are on hold at the gun shop already paid off so fingers crossed we get approved thank you for your help mate
Skytrouper02
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 23 Oct 2020, 10:47 pm

roger that, hope ya all sorted soon bud
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Skytrouper02 » 18 Nov 2020, 11:31 am

Hey mate after 5 weeks I got accepted received the storage statement in the mail emailed the photos etc and they've sent my license should get it next week
Skytrouper02
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 6:35 pm

well done champ, welcome to the club so to speak. (I hate clubs lol)
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by kb1 » 18 Jan 2021, 2:22 pm

wtf is the go now its 6 to 8 week for an additional licence ,
do you guys know that wa is tking in over 2 million dollars in application fees annually.
if this is true its mental.
also these high calibre selected from police to be on there hit list , 28 nosler and so on.
since when did the police make up our laws ?
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Skytrouper02 » 29 Sep 2021, 1:25 am

Hey mate my additional took 3 weeks for a single shot 12g I'm I'm WA
Skytrouper02
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by westaussie » 04 Nov 2021, 12:14 am

Applied for an CAT B addition on Saturday, the estimate I got from Claremont Firearms was 2-4 weeks so I'll post updates on how it goes.

Somewhere between 15th - 29th November I guess
westaussie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by 1886 » 05 Nov 2021, 1:24 pm

I had a Cat B addition last month which took 9 days.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by westaussie » 26 Nov 2021, 11:05 pm

westaussie wrote:Applied for an CAT B addition on Saturday, the estimate I got from Claremont Firearms was 2-4 weeks so I'll post updates on how it goes.

Somewhere between 15th - 29th November I guess

Cat B addition submitted on Oct 30th, Approved on Nov 17th, In the mailbox Nov 24th.

18 business day turnaround.
westaussie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Amityville » 29 Aug 2022, 4:24 pm

Application for WA licence submitted 15th online and via postshop
Physical Letter "received" 2 weeks after it was sent on the 25th July
Licence approval received in physical letter 14 August
8Week turn around in WA - Not bad!
Amityville
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Green » 25 Nov 2022, 10:37 am

Just a little update to the wait times in WA.

17th October - New license Cat B submitted at local PO.
3rd November - Received a email asking for a more detailed explanation for Genuine Need replied the same day.
15th November - 28 days are up, called the firearms inquiry line for status up date which they had confirmed they had posted out the Form 22 (Storage Stat Dec) on the 10th.
16th November - Received Form 22 completed and emailed back that same day.
18th November - Checked online status which stated “Approved - The application is completed by Licensing Service and is Approved”.
24th November license arrived in mail.

38 days
Green
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by colin.rac » 25 Nov 2022, 8:48 pm

Green wrote:Just a little update to the wait times in WA.

17th October - New license Cat B submitted at local PO.
3rd November - Received a email asking for a more detailed explanation for Genuine Need replied the same day.
15th November - 28 days are up, called the firearms inquiry line for status up date which they had confirmed they had posted out the Form 22 (Storage Stat Dec) on the 10th.
16th November - Received Form 22 completed and emailed back that same day.
18th November - Checked online status which stated “Approved - The application is completed by Licensing Service and is Approved”.
24th November license arrived in mail.

38 days

That's fairly quick, just submitted for an original license today, hope it doesn't get rejected, $377 is very steep for a license :lol:
colin.rac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Green » 27 Nov 2022, 8:20 am

colin.rac wrote:That's fairly quick, just submitted for an original license today, hope it doesn't get rejected, $377 is very steep for a license :lol:

Yes I must say I was very surprised as well but they know we will pay it.
Green
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Law.au » 06 Dec 2022, 4:13 pm

lodged cat B original on the 4th of November still haven't heard anything and the online portal is saying no records contact licensing service and I did last week the lady said its in early assessment stage whatever that means ? my cooling off period is well over
Law.au
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by colin.rac » 24 Dec 2022, 9:28 pm

They seem to be pretty quick, well towards the end of the year anyway. Went to my local post office on November 25, got a letter in the mail dated December 16th (21 days after submission) that states "I advice that preliminary inquiries into your application suggest that it will be approved. However before further consideration is given to the matter it is a legislative requirement that the 28 day cooling off period has elapsed, this occurs on the 23/12/2022." With this letter was the form 22 many of you I'm sure are familiar.

Does this mean my application is set in stone approved? I would assume it means a such, just spent a pretty penny on a brand spanker of a gun safe.
colin.rac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by colin.rac » 15 Jan 2023, 12:30 am

Approaching 60 days of wait time for my original licence. Received a pre-approval letter on the 24th of December, submitted completed form 22 on the 31st, now 14 days later, nothing yet. Rang up to confirm they received the form 22, which they have. Seen as quick as 2 days for form 22 approval. Not sure what's taking so long. I did sign the intention to proceed form with the date being the 24th, and the form 22 witness statement on the 31st, that may be causing some issues.
colin.rac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 15 Jan 2023, 11:56 am

Probably short of staff over Christmas.
Patience grasshopper
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by colin.rac » 15 Jan 2023, 9:11 pm

animalpest wrote:Probably short of staff over Christmas.
Patience grasshopper

I'm trying, just want to finally take home and refinish my little Stirling!

Got some big plans for the stock on that thing, going with the ol' Rit dye trick.
colin.rac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws