Old gun safe

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Old gun safe

Post by Bigsim » 29 Oct 2020, 4:49 am

So I'm looking at starting my license process and already have a gun safe installed from before my old man passed, would I be able to use this safe in my application although I don't have any receipt for it?
Bigsim
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Old gun safe

Post by JohnV » 04 Jan 2021, 11:43 am

You don't need any receipts or proof of ownership the Police are not interested in that .
You have to check if the safe locking and instillation meets your states regulations .
If there is no guns in it then you could go to the Police and ask for an inspection and then see if it passes . If not then you will know what to change .
Some very heavy safes don't require bolting down .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by pomemax » 04 Jan 2021, 12:48 pm

WA has some regulations we dont have in eastern States

. Statutory Declaration
Under the Firearms Regulations 1974 11A (1),

"a person entitled to possess firearms or ammunition of any kind is to ensure that the firearms or ammunition are stored in accordance with this regulation".

In compliance with this regulation, a Firearms Licence applicant is required to submit a statement detailing their proposed storage facilities to the WA Police Force.

This statement, (Statutory Declaration Form 22) will form as part of the Firearms Licence application process and the declaration is to be provided on request prior to finalisation of the licence assessment. (See 11A and 11C of the Firearms Regulations 1974).

Failure to comply would result in refusal and/or revocation of Firearms Licences.

It should be noted that the declaration is to include supporting evidence that adequate and safe storage had been installed i.e. receipt from installer and/or photograph of the cabinet in situ with anchoring and/or fixing points.

Tips to remember when considering storage facilities:

Be mindful of the location for firearm/ammunition cabinets! Do not place them at obvious locations where it is easily identified. A garage IS NOT a recommended location!
Be mindful of anchoring and fixing bolts when installing firearm storages or containers.
Consider installing a security alarm to cover the cabinet/storage/container location.
taken from WA firearms storage
https://www.police.wa.gov.au/About-Us/O ... ms-storage
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 04 Jan 2021, 12:52 pm

JohnV wrote:You don't need any receipts or proof of ownership the Police are not interested in that .
You have to check if the safe locking and instillation meets your states regulations .
If there is no guns in it then you could go to the Police and ask for an inspection and then see if it passes . If not then you will know what to change .
Some very heavy safes don't require bolting down .

This would be ok in NSW but WA stands for "W eired A lltogeter when i come to firearms regs like used brass is still classed as ammo???
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by gherkin » 06 Jan 2021, 5:17 pm

I put in an application about 5 weeks ago with a safe that is 20 years old for which I do not have receipts. All I did was make sure it satisfied the criteria and then took heaps of photos of it to support the application showing each of the criteria were satisfied. My application was approved today.
gherkin
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 20 Apr 2021, 11:21 pm

JohnV wrote:If there is no guns in it then you could go to the Police and ask for an inspection and then see if it passes . If not then you will know what to change.

I seriously doubt that WAPOL would perform such a check and give you the all clear. If at some future time you were robbed WAPOL would be checking to see that your safe and installation complied and "signing off" on your installation would potentially put them at risk and maybe give you a loophole.

In all cases it is the responsibility of the licensed firearm owner to ensure they comply. WAPOL sees their job is to catch you and prosecute you when you slip up - they are not there to help you comply.

I think it is a very Western Australian attitude by anyone with authority - Police, Shire Rangers, Fisheries Officers, Transit Guards, Park Rangers, you name it - in WA they automatically approach everyone with the assumption "I know you are trying to break the rules and I'm going to catch you and punish you." In other states I've noticed a different attitude - more like "How can I point you in the right direction and help you stay within the rules?"

It even translates to road signage "Speed cameras in use" vs "Road safety cameras in use". It's a sublte difference but significant. One is about catching you breaking the law, the other is about making the roads safer.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Apr 2021, 9:51 am

Yeah but isn't everyone in W.A a bit sketchy??? :sarcasm:

My younger brother has lived in W.A for over 25 years, he is involved in cranes, rigging and scaffolding. All of his mates that I've met have been a bit dodgy, or is that just that industry? :unknown: :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 01 May 2021, 10:34 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:Speed cameras in use" vs "Road safety cameras in use".

Different name same cameras. At least in WA they don't hide their intention, the cameras are there to catch speeders. No different to any other state, but they at least WA won't hide it :sarcasm:
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 May 2021, 6:42 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Yeah but isn't everyone in W.A a bit sketchy??? :sarcasm:

My younger brother has lived in W.A for over 25 years, he is involved in cranes, rigging and scaffolding. All of his mates that I've met have been a bit dodgy, or is that just that industry? :unknown: :lol:

Yes, its the industry.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Western Australia gun laws