Firearm from Vic to WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Firearm from Vic to WA

Post by InisBineest » 23 Nov 2020, 8:50 pm

Can anyone explain to me the process to get a firearm sent from Victoria to WA?
My dealer here says they use Aus post, but the receiving dealer informs me that this is against Aus post rules and that the firearm could be seized if discovered... Can anyone enlighten me on this? Am I hearing porkies somewhere? Or is my dealer less scrupulous than I otherwise believed:(
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Firearm from Vic to WA

Post by Ziege » 23 Nov 2020, 8:53 pm

call a store and get the real deal, follow what the WA dealer says.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 23 Nov 2020, 8:57 pm

As Ziege says.
Australia Post was not approved to carry firearms in WA but that has changed. Your dealer is simply out of date with their info
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2020, 9:08 pm

InisBineest wrote:Can anyone explain to me the process to get a firearm sent from Victoria to WA?
My dealer here says they use Aus post, but the receiving dealer informs me that this is against Aus post rules and that the firearm could be seized if discovered... Can anyone enlighten me on this? Am I hearing porkies somewhere? Or is my dealer less scrupulous than I otherwise believed:(

Call or email the dealer in WA that your dealer is shipping the firearm to, they will know exactly what you need to comply with.
If the WA dealer is telling you this, I would suggest using a different dealer.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 23 Nov 2020, 9:38 pm

animalpest wrote:As Ziege says.
Australia Post was not approved to carry firearms in WA but that has changed. Your dealer is simply out of date with their info

https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/ausp ... -guide.pdf

Page 27 of 49

"D5.2 – Firearms, weapons and ammunition
While Australia Post does not absolutely prohibit the lodgement of firearms and
firearm parts in the mail, Australia Post and senders must comply with relevant
legislation in each state/territory.
To comply with Western Australian legislation, Australia Post only permits the
carriage of firearms using the Parcel Post Secure Accept and Collect product
which is available in selected retail outlets in WA."

I suspect you may be right in that the WA dealer may have out of date information, as that is from the Aus Post website under their dangerous goods guide
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 26 Nov 2020, 7:31 am

Final word from WAPOL is that firearms CANNOT legally be brought in via Auspost. Yes, it happens, but no it isn't legal. According to WAPOL
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 26 Nov 2020, 7:41 am

InisBineest wrote:Final word from WAPOL is that firearms CANNOT legally be brought in via Auspost. Yes, it happens, but no it isn't legal. According to WAPOL

It would be interesting to see that in writing from WAPOL...did you ask them for a reference to the law...?...I would...
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2020, 12:12 pm

InisBineest wrote:Final word from WAPOL is that firearms CANNOT legally be brought in via Auspost. Yes, it happens, but no it isn't legal. According to WAPOL

They gave you this in writing referencing the relevant law?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 26 Nov 2020, 3:23 pm

The other question is what method do they recommend?
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 26 Nov 2020, 8:55 pm

WAPOL restricted transport so badly that country dealers couldnt get firearms or ammuntion to them at all. Big scream about it for months.

That has now changed. For dealers anyway. But the average firearm owner cannot just send ammo or firearms through Aus Post.

I order firearms from other states fsirly regularly and dont have an issue with transport from dealers.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by InisBineest » 27 Nov 2020, 8:06 pm

cz515 wrote:The other question is what method do they recommend?

They did send me a list of recognised carriers, I can post it here later as I'm typing off my phone.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bibendum » 30 Nov 2020, 5:10 pm

Australia Post can carry firearms in WA but with very strict conditions. Only certain branches can handle them and the cost is prohibitive.
Just get your local dealer to sort TNT transport. Should cost about $100.
Then once it hits WA the dealer here will charge a fee (around $200) and supply you with a Serviceability Certificate.
-------------
Western Australia
-
177Air - 22Air - 22WMR - 17HMR - 22LR
22H -223R - 243W - 6.5CM - 270W - 308W - 310Cadet - 303Brit - 38/357 - 30-30W - 45-70G
12G - 410G
45BP - 58BP
32SW - 9mm -38sp - 357M - 44M - 45Sch
bibendum
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by InisBineest » 01 Dec 2020, 8:27 pm

InisBineest wrote:
cz515 wrote:The other question is what method do they recommend?

They did send me a list of recognised carriers, I can post it here later as I'm typing off my phone.

wa.png
wa.png (194.2 KiB) Viewed 3112 times

Sorry for crappy quality, but that was from WA Licensing services
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 01 Dec 2020, 8:33 pm

bibendum wrote:Australia Post can carry firearms in WA but with very strict conditions. Only certain branches can handle them and the cost is prohibitive.
Just get your local dealer to sort TNT transport. Should cost about $100.
Then once it hits WA the dealer here will charge a fee (around $200) and supply you with a Serviceability Certificate.

I did hear something of that sort, but "Serviceability Certificate" is not something I stumbled on as i was trying to figure all this out. And TNT are good... if your dealer has an existing account with them (none near me did).

From WA police, no firearm can be legally brought into the state via Aus Post. Aus post can handle them (with conditions as you described) within the state, and i think can send them out of the state, but it can't receive them from out of state lines. That all said, by many accounts it seems to happen anyway, AND i contacted the WA police via several different lines. One didn't know, one said it was fine, and two said what I quote above.

As for what Aus post say, i called the same line 4 times, got a different answer each time. I'm not sure if they know their right foot form their left, but from what I can tell, there is an INTERNAL memo that they quote, saying that they cannot bring firearms into WA... This in spite of their public document stating they can.

The long and short of this is i'm not even going to attempt to send one there until WA sort their crap out. Sorry WA, but your system is more whacked than most:(
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Barbarian » 01 Dec 2020, 8:40 pm

I just had a CTR sent from a dealer in Vic to my LGS here in WA, wasn’t any hassle at all and it took around two weeks.

My LGS will charge me approx $100 for the transfer and certificate when I head in next time, went pretty smooth.

I do know the interstate gun shop will require the dealers I’d and details but that is easily acquired via a phone call.

I’m fairly certain it was sent via TNT
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by cz515 » 02 Dec 2020, 6:12 am

Thanks innisbeast
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Western Australia gun laws