Licence Application Genuine Need Test

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Licence Application Genuine Need Test

Post by DJCoopes » 21 Apr 2021, 4:37 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm at a bit of an impasse on my Licence Application. ON the WAPOL website
(https://www.police.wa.gov.au/About-Us/O ... categories)
it states that for Category A firearms (I'm specifically getting a U/O 12g Shotgun) you do not need to present a Genuine Need, yet on the online HTML application it states that the Genuine Need box must be filled. Should I just put "N/A" or do I need to find a Genuine Need?
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Licence Application Genuine Need Test

Post by Larry » 21 Apr 2021, 4:46 pm

Well first thing would be to answer the question why you want a firearm and where and for what are you going to use it. Once you have an answer to that it is easier to give you the wording for a need. In WA it is not as straight forward as in other States
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by DJCoopes » 21 Apr 2021, 9:22 pm

Larry wrote:Well first thing would be to answer the question why you want a firearm and where and for what are you going to use it. Once you have an answer to that it is easier to give you the wording for a need. In WA it is not as straight forward as in other States

That is covered in the box above it, being the Relevant Reason (Recreational/Hunt/Shoot). So recreational shooting then? (clay target maybe?)
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by G-Swiss » 21 Apr 2021, 9:27 pm

Website seems a bit unclear about genuine reason vs genuine need. I think genuine reason is the starting point, genuine need refers to if you already have one but want another/higher power/category (I’m no lawyer tho). As Larry said, define your use, define your reason, go from there.

Get it on an open license if you can, much more versatile (and cheaper long term) than club only. Vermin control such as rabbits and foxes at close range? Source a property to shoot on, or a commercial letter from Kalbarri with the intention of going up there to shoot and you’re away.

G
G-Swiss
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Diamond Jim » 29 Apr 2021, 12:11 am

Genuine reason is about why you want a firearm - recreational hunting/shooting, club competition, feral animal control on agricultural property, security work etc.
Genuine need is about why you need this particular firearm - e.g. if you are shooting feral pigeons around farm buildings you might "need" an air rifle, .22LR or shotgun but you would be hard pressed to justify a .300 WinMag. If you were hunting camels on a 150,000Ha pastoral lease then you might need a .338 Lap.Mag. but could be hard to justify an air rifle.

I need a shotgun for control of moving vertebrate pests at close range (<60m or so)
I need a .rimfire rifle for economical marksmanship maintenance and small pest control to 100m
I need a small bore centerfire for small feral animal control out to 250m or so.
I'm sure you get the idea.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws