Current wait times

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Current wait times

Post by mar6874 » 30 Apr 2021, 4:20 pm

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any additions to their licence recently and if so how long did it take?
I’m coming up to 4 weeks at the moment and on the tracker all I see is pending...

Thanks
mar6874
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Current wait times

Post by bah! » 01 May 2021, 8:29 pm

Got one in and you're a month ahead of me. Claremont Firearms said 6-8 weeks presently
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mar6874 » 03 May 2021, 11:48 am

Hopefully hear something soon then.
Thanks.
mar6874
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Diznuts95 » 06 May 2021, 2:14 pm

Been 35 days for me and still just says in progress from day one but haven’t heard anything, for an additional btw
Diznuts95
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Diznuts95 » 06 May 2021, 4:07 pm

Do they email you with additional or do they just send letter ?
Diznuts95
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bah! » 21 May 2021, 7:49 pm

I got a call yesterday about some minor issue. They said soon(ish?), and no holdups.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by teddyn » 28 May 2021, 5:57 pm

I recently put in for an additional CAT H, was in progress the following day, just shy of a week in and now it says its on hold?

"In Progress - On Hold Awaiting Information From Applicant
The application is being currently put On Hold. Licensing Services (LED) will resume processing once all the information requested from the applicant is received."

Never had this issue before with an additional, anyone able to shed some light on this? I've also received zero correspondence from anyone?
teddyn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Grumpy » 29 May 2021, 10:58 am

Diznuts95 wrote:Do they email you with additional or do they just send letter ?

No email, they just sent the letter 2 days after showing approved on the net. My cat A upgrade took 22 days.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bah! » 29 May 2021, 4:16 pm

Cops reckon mine is done but in the mail since last week. I live rural so quite possible, that would mean about a month to add a centrefire rifle
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bah! » 02 Jun 2021, 8:39 am

Mine arrived yesterday so that makes it a month.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Sherlock » 02 Jun 2021, 9:34 pm

Addition approved 12 working days,should be in mail next few days
Sherlock
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by DJCoopes » 03 Jul 2021, 2:45 pm

I put in my original licence application about two weeks ago, where do I find the application number to enter to check status on the online portal?
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Grumpy » 03 Jul 2021, 5:15 pm

DJCoopes wrote:I put in my original licence application about two weeks ago, where do I find the application number to enter to check status on the online portal?

You’ll find the application number at the top of your Australia Post receipt.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 03 Jul 2021, 9:16 pm

LOL a mate just got his approval in 3 days for a 45-70 lever gun on a store bought letter too
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by DJCoopes » 16 Jul 2021, 1:19 pm

Grumpy wrote:
DJCoopes wrote:I put in my original licence application about two weeks ago, where do I find the application number to enter to check status on the online portal?

Thanks mate, i got the receipt but it still has the error message "No records found - contact Licensing Services on 1300 171 011". should i remove the 2021 prefix or the FIRZ suffix?
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by N.Field » 24 Jul 2021, 11:53 am

I submitted my application for an addition for club purposes on 20/7/21 and it showed as approved on the WAPOL website this morning - 24/7/21.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stevoid » 20 Aug 2021, 5:40 pm

Lodged mine on the 10th and got approved on the morning of the 17th. Still no post today (20th) which I’m a bit annoyed at, the bloody gun shop is closed on mondays
Stevoid
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by ChrisPer » 23 Aug 2021, 10:38 am

DJCoopes wrote:
Grumpy wrote:

Thanks mate, i got the receipt but it still has the error message "No records found - contact Licensing Services on 1300 171 011". should i remove the 2021 prefix or the FIRZ suffix?

I got that message and when I called it turned out that it had been approved and was in the post. But here's an idea: The message tells you to call them, so call them and let them find out what it means. Its there because they don't want you waiting for something which is glitched but they don't know it.
ChrisPer
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by westaussie » 23 Aug 2021, 1:07 pm

Stevoid wrote:Lodged mine on the 10th and got approved on the morning of the 17th. Still no post today (20th) which I’m a bit annoyed at, the bloody gun shop is closed on mondays

Same issue - new license, approved on the 18th, still nothing in the post on the 23rd
westaussie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Stevoid » 25 Aug 2021, 12:19 am

westaussie wrote:
Stevoid wrote:Lodged mine on the 10th and got approved on the morning of the 17th. Still no post today (20th) which I’m a bit annoyed at, the bloody gun shop is closed on mondays

Same issue - new license, approved on the 18th, still nothing in the post on the 23rd

It turned up yesterday (yay!) and got my new addition today. Bit sad when it took just as long 6 days to post it 15 kilometres…..
Stevoid
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by westaussie » 25 Aug 2021, 12:29 pm

Finally arrived this morning - 25th August.

Approved on 18th August - so six business days to post it and arrive. Metro area
westaussie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Bazz » 08 Sep 2021, 12:22 pm

Hi All,

Lodged some additions on the 17th August, approved on the 2nd September, letter in the mailbox on the 7th.

Not counting the day I lodged, that's 15 business days from post office to mailbox. Had a change of address in there too so possibly could have been marginally shorter. Perth metro.

Bazz
Bazz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by StanChen233 » 29 Sep 2022, 4:59 pm

Got approver last Friday (23/09) and still nothing in my mailbox today (29/09).
StanChen233
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by StanChen233 » 11 Oct 2022, 11:34 pm

StanChen233 wrote:Got approver last Friday (23/09) and still nothing in my mailbox today (29/09).

Received paper licence 03/10, and identification card 10/10.
StanChen233
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by b066y » 24 Oct 2022, 11:14 am

What's involved in the approval process? For the amount of time it takes and cost, I hope it's a thorough vetting process and not just a cash grab.
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Barbarian » 29 Oct 2022, 5:44 am

b066y wrote:What's involved in the approval process? For the amount of time it takes and cost, I hope it's a thorough vetting process and not just a cash grab.

Its a cash grab, plain and simple. PTA's in other states cost less than 1/3 of a license addition here - not even counting the Original license application costs.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Green » 29 Oct 2022, 8:45 am

Submitted new application on 17/10/22 now 16 days left remaining of the cool off period. Will keep you posted.

Side question, considering I have a clean record and I have a letter to shoot on 180,000 hectares and I’m only applying for a .223 is it wise to go ahead and purchase/install safe? Or just sit tight.
Green
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by b066y » 04 Nov 2022, 1:19 pm

Barbarian wrote:
b066y wrote:What's involved in the approval process? For the amount of time it takes and cost, I hope it's a thorough vetting process and not just a cash grab.

Its a cash grab, plain and simple. PTA's in other states cost less than 1/3 of a license addition here - not even counting the Original license application costs.

Well if it's a cash grab, the least they could do is move it along faster. How many applications could they possibly be processing that'll take them weeks to approve additional application. Very average. High cost and poor service. Gotta love monopolies.
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Toadstool » 20 Jan 2023, 4:45 pm

DJCoopes wrote:
Grumpy wrote:

I submitted an application just before christmas for another firearm of the same licence cat I have. Today its 4 weeks since doing so and I've had this message "No records found - contact Licensing Services on 1300 171 011." whenever I track the progress.

Called today to make sure it's all okay and they received it at least. The lady said it's not with an assesor yet, so hasn't even been looked at lol. Said they are only up to November.

Such a bad system where they can't update the licence tracking. A simple 'Application received, in queue for processing' would save people calling and wondering.

The cost is absolutely insane for how long they take. I wouldn't mind if it was a reasonable $50 application for an additional firearm and they take a couple of months. But $256 is a rort. That price should be a priority processing price like for passports.

But really im in no hurry and just wanted to know my application was received, as do most people I assume.
Toadstool
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by NorthWester » 27 Jan 2023, 5:53 pm

I submitted an application for an additional Cat A firearm (Shotgun) on the 13 Jan 23.

So far the status portal is just saying it's in progress and they'll contact me if they need any more info.

In Progress
The application is being processed by Licensing Services (LED). You will be notified if any further information is required from the applicant or on completion of application processing.

Based on the above post by Toadstool re they are only up to November it looks like the Christmas period created a backlog, or perhaps a rush on people trying to license new or additional firearms before any further amendments to the act that might make it even harder to get a firearm in WA.

Found an interesting letter online from a few years ago addressing a petition from Michelle Roberts. Lots of topics discussed.

https://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/Parliament/petitionsdb.nsf/($all)/B7C97594AA13BE284825856D00320584/$file/27768384.pdf

Possibly a bit out of date now (April 2020), but it stated the following:

Licence Processing
The WA Police Force advise that, in the normal course of events, an application for an
original licence should take no more than sixty days and for an addition of a firearm to
an existing licence no more than thirty-five days.

The Firearms Act 1973 requires a mandatory cooling off period of twenty-eight days
in respect of an application for an original licence. The practical result of this
requirement is that determination of an application for such a licence cannot
commence until the expiration of this cooling off period.
In the experience of Western Australia Police Force, delay can often be attributed to
an applicant not initially having the required information at the time of lodging their
application

So based on this I'm definitely looking at a few more week until I get the approval. :(
NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Next

Return to Western Australia gun laws