Different calibres - apply now, buy later?

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Different calibres - apply now, buy later?

Post by Mystyler » 06 Jun 2021, 11:31 pm

Hello all,

I've got a question regarding getting calibres listed on my Property Letter, and when I can purchase a firearm in said calibre.

Example:
I get my storage sorted, apply for my licence, have a Property Letter with two different calibres listed (e.g. .22LR and 12G) and WAPOL say yep, go and knock yourself out. Do I then have to buy a firearm in the listed calibres *now*, or can I wait a bit for finances to recover by buying a rifle now and a shotgun later? Or vice versa.

I'm going to eventually need both, and would rather stuff around as little as possible and not have to apply twice.

I hope that example makes it easy to understand what I'm trying to do. Thanks for any help.
Mystyler
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Different calibres - apply now, buy later?

Post by animalpest » 08 Jun 2021, 5:23 pm

You will need to apply for your licence with that calibre and with a rifle already picked out. You need to supply the firearm details ( including the s/n, make, calibre etc) on your application.

If later you want the shottie you have to go through the whole process all over again. And pay for the application all over again.

In WA there is no "pre-approval" process available.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 08 Jun 2021, 7:50 pm

Firstly if you want to get more than one caliber firearm do them all as part of the same application as that will incur the same costs as just one firearm also as animal pest has stated, you will need to have already purchased the firearm, its more a case of that individual firearm (serial number) that is being licensed as opposed to you yourself being licensed, you are merely being vetted and declared fit and proper to possess it.

order of sorting the application is more so: -

goto gun shop and pass the safety awareness test

buy gun aka get serviceability certificate

do firearms license application online and pay at auspost. attaching the serviceability certificate and proof of passing safety awareness test.

buy safe, preferably some brand that wapol will likely be familiar with and install as per the act/reg to the very best of your ability

take photos of the install showing a measure next to the washers used on the dynabolts as to prove that the safe is installed as per required.

fill out safe storage declaration and submit to firearms branch either by email or in writing (I would do both because theyre useless)

then its wait 28 days cooling off before they will process your application upon the end of those 28 days, not before, they may even call and ask if you still intend on pursuing the application

wait to be vetted and your reasons for wanting/needing the firearm are verified,

once the application is complete and approved wait as much as 3 weeks for their slow ass system to mail out your license,

once you have the license make sure you attach the proof of payment to it to make sure its valid,

goto your gun dealer that you purchased the firearm or brokered the firearm through and collect it.

this is exactly the procedure and is nothing like QLD, VIC, NSW etc etc.

Further info that has seemed to be a common theme due to the nature of the law:

If you have a criminal history even if it was more than 5 years ago or even more than 10 years ago make sure to disclose it on the application as if it is omitted the chances are it will just result in the cancelling/disqualification of your license in the future and confiscation of your firearms and ammunition with no compensation. things that would be applicable are past drug use or possession charges, restraining orders, police orders, public intoxication, indecent assault, common assault, drink driving, domestic violence offences/history of police attending home/etc, online harassment/cyber bullying, sex offenses etc etc etc need I say anymore... these can all be things that vary in severity and some people find themselves with a criminal label even though their actions were relatively benign or it was a once off event with no intent. thusly if you have had a history (obviously dont bother applying if you are a crim), then disclose it from the beginning, a lot of men and women get restraining orders and so forth slapped on them, after 5 years it is fine to apply for a license however not disclosing it might be grounds for disqualification later on.

hope that helps.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Mystyler » 27 Jun 2021, 5:16 pm

animalpest and ZaineB,

Firstly, let me apologise for the late reply. I was sent around the country by work shortly after asking the question, and haven't had the time to sit down and digest what you wrote.

Second, thank you for your replies. It's as I feared. What an inefficient system. Well, at least for us. I'm fine with being vetted, but surely there is a simpler way.

And about the crims, don't worry, they've already got their grubby mitts on what they want, most likely unbeknownst to Mr. Plod. :thumbsdown:
Mystyler
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 27 Jun 2021, 10:50 pm

yes cops have their heads in the sand over that tho, as well as all the ministry cabinet of WA and the greater federation, as far as they are concerned crims obey all their laws.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Return to Western Australia gun laws