Ammo and safe question

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Ammo and safe question

Post by antisense » 31 Jul 2021, 1:32 pm

G'day brains trust.

I have a .223 in one safe and a 12G and .22 in another separate safe. Is it legal to store .223 ammo in with the .22 and shotty and vice versa or is there a blanket rule that no ammo regardless of calibre can be stored in the same box with any firearm regardless of ammo/firearm calibre?

Many thanks
antisense
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Ammo and safe question

Post by animalpest » 31 Jul 2021, 8:43 pm

You can store any ammo that is for one of your licenced firearms in any safe that is separate from your guns.

The ammo is stored in what is really a separate safe. Mixing all the ammo together is perfectly legal.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 31 Jul 2021, 9:04 pm

The answer is no. You can't store guns and ammo in the same compartment.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jul 2021, 9:19 pm

antisense wrote:G'day brains trust.

I have a .223 in one safe and a 12G and .22 in another separate safe. Is it legal to store .223 ammo in with the .22 and shotty and vice versa or is there a blanket rule that no ammo regardless of calibre can be stored in the same box with any firearm regardless of ammo/firearm calibre?

Many thanks

No, the law makes no distinction as to the type of ammo, _no_ ammunition of any kind can be stored with a firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by antisense » 31 Jul 2021, 10:32 pm

Ok thanks all. Thought that might be the case... Time to get a new safe..
antisense
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 31 Jul 2021, 10:59 pm

Maybe the rules are different in your state but in Vic, any locked box will do for ammo. So a toolbox, pelican case etc. No need to buy a safe just for ammo.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jul 2021, 11:29 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Maybe the rules are different in your state but in Vic, any locked box will do for ammo. So a toolbox, pelican case etc. No need to buy a safe just for ammo.

You just beat me to it. In Vic tool box is fine. But he is in WA. Maybe as the local police
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 01 Aug 2021, 3:38 am

G'day antisense,
Storage of ammo in your State is controlled by The Firearm Regulations 1974, specifically Reg. 11A, sub.8, which states no ammo may be stored in a container in which a firearm is stored (note it does not specify caliber at all) unless it is in a container that is fixed so that it cannot be removed, ie: an in-built ammo locker. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 01 Aug 2021, 11:59 am

I store my ammo in an old switchboard, it's just a metal box with a lock. You could even use a wooden cupboard with a lock. Don't over think it, it just needs to be secured stored separately from guns.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 01 Aug 2021, 12:08 pm

yoshie wrote:I store my ammo in an old switchboard, it's just a metal box with a lock. You could even use a wooden cupboard with a lock. Don't over think it, it just needs to be secured stored separately from guns.

Except in WA, where ammo, brass, bullets, etc require the same security as firearms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ChrisPer » 01 Aug 2021, 2:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:
yoshie wrote:I store my ammo in an old switchboard, it's just a metal box with a lock. You could even use a wooden cupboard with a lock. Don't over think it, it just needs to be secured stored separately from guns.

Except in WA, where ammo, brass, bullets, etc require the same security as firearms.

Also, powder and black powder have their own regs: https://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Black-powder-propellant-powder-18581.aspx
ChrisPer
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Aug 2021, 5:23 pm

WA allows cat C for IPSC but has all the other crazy laws.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 05 Aug 2021, 7:58 pm

OP question, this is why I have more safes for ammo than guns. cheers.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Return to Western Australia gun laws