Semi-Auto Air Rifles in WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Semi-Auto Air Rifles in WA

Post by DecaHex » 09 Aug 2021, 5:49 pm

Heyo, are semi-auto air rifles like the Crosman semi-auto or the Evanix Speed legal on Cat A in WA?
Enthusiast of meme guns
DecaHex
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Semi-Auto Air Rifles in WA

Post by bladeracer » 09 Aug 2021, 6:15 pm

DecaHex wrote:Heyo, are semi-auto air rifles like the Crosman semi-auto or the Evanix Speed legal on Cat A in WA?

Are they genuinely semi-auto?
My Ruger 10/22 .177 is a revolver action.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ChrisPer » 10 Aug 2021, 5:16 pm

I have owned a couple of Crosman 1077s. No licensing grief over the action, just over wanting two the same for teaching kids.
ChrisPer
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Aug 2021, 5:37 pm

ChrisPer wrote:I have owned a couple of Crosman 1077s. No licensing grief over the action, just over wanting two the same for teaching kids.

Yep, the 1077 is the basis of the Ruger, not semi-auto, a circular magazine revolved by the extraordinarily heavy trigger pull, but can also shoot it by cocking each shot manually.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ChrisPer » 11 Aug 2021, 11:27 am

Manual cocking on a 1077? I wish.

I got the accurizing sleeves - two of them each barrel - some extra magazines, Leapers bugbuster scopes. Tried cheapo red dots but they were not any good.
Spent a lot of effort on a jamming problem which I found in the end was caused by using flat-nosed target pellets. Turns out they don't index the cylinder magazines very closely and you need hunting pellets for reliable function.

One thing I didn't like was that unlike the Ruger 10/22 there is no ejection port to look into the chamber and clear it. However, since it is a revolver action the cylinder OUT is an effective safety mechanism.

Great fun though! I know where there are two for sale with all accessories.
ChrisPer
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 11 Aug 2021, 11:57 am

I really like the 10/22, very accurate and great fun :-)
Much easier to shoot it well than my gas-strut springer.
I get smaller groups with the 10/22 with a non-magnified red-dot than I get with the Crosman and 24-power scope. It takes a lot of practice to consistently shoot well with a Springer.

The pellets are fired directly from the magazine, so removing the magazine makes it safe even when it's cocked. I'll have to see if it's possible for it to fire if a pellet did get lodged into the barrel and the magazine removed. The last few shots of CO2 can push the pellet a millimeter or two in the magazine, but I've not yet had one move forward enough to get stuck between the magazine and barrel, or had any stop in the barrel. Maybe it has a safety device that vents the gas if it drops too low to effectively fire a pellet? I have extra mags for it, but I find the pellets get loose if the mag is left loaded for several hours. You really need to load them just before shooting.

Genuine semi-autos use either a spring ratchet or vented air pressure to index the magazine for each shot, the trigger just operates the firing valve.

I have another 5000 pellets en-route to do some more testing very soon. So I'm spending time practicing with the Springer now.

ChrisPer wrote:Manual cocking on a 1077? I wish.

I got the accurizing sleeves - two of them each barrel - some extra magazines, Leapers bugbuster scopes. Tried cheapo red dots but they were not any good.
Spent a lot of effort on a jamming problem which I found in the end was caused by using flat-nosed target pellets. Turns out they don't index the cylinder magazines very closely and you need hunting pellets for reliable function.

One thing I didn't like was that unlike the Ruger 10/22 there is no ejection port to look into the chamber and clear it. However, since it is a revolver action the cylinder OUT is an effective safety mechanism.

Great fun though! I know where there are two for sale with all accessories.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Aug 2021, 12:06 pm

Regarding the jamming, you need to seat the pellets into the magazine flush. If they are proud even .001" they will drag heavily during indexing.

My Ruger works just fine with flat-nose target pellets, shooting very good groups with RWS Hobby in particular.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ChrisPer » 13 Aug 2021, 10:13 am

Interesting! I didn't even know about the Umarex Ruger 10/22 airgun. If I were to buy one now, I would get a PCP but I just can't come at that much money.
ChrisPer
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 Aug 2021, 3:32 pm

ChrisPer wrote:Interesting! I didn't even know about the Umarex Ruger 10/22 airgun. If I were to buy one now, I would get a PCP but I just can't come at that much money.

I bought it purely for nostalgia as my first rifle was the 10/22 when I was a kid.
But it's been surprising good fun, and very accurate.
Well worth the $320 it cost me :-)
https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=11982#p203469

I believe Cleaver are still the only importer, Frontier Arms seems to have no interest in selling these in Australia.

PCP doesn't interest me at all, just can't be bothered messing with the tanks and filling and such, on top of the large costs.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Western Australia gun laws