Multiple Firearm additions

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Multiple Firearm additions

Post by Crankbro » 14 Aug 2021, 1:56 am

G’day , I’m just wondering is there any issue in applying for multiple caliber firearms in succession ? I spend a lot of time in Central WA and am learning certain calibre are good and not good for certain vermin . I’ve got my .223 and a .22lr so far within 3 months and want to apply for a .308 or. creedmoor . Do the authority’s see this as suspicious or is it accepted that I want another caliber straight after being approved for another ? Taking down the long distance wild donkey or pig seems to be an issue and pretty un-ethical with a .223 at the moment . Any help would be greatly appreciated
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22lr
Remington 700 ADL .223
Franchi Horizin .308
Adler b230 12g
Crankbro
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Multiple Firearm additions

Post by MontyShooter » 14 Aug 2021, 12:20 pm

All states are different but here in Vic you would be fine unless you are buying perhaps 3 of the same calibre.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 14 Aug 2021, 12:51 pm

Nothing in any state or territory in this federation states how many firearms you can maximally own(exceptions can be made for cat C or D). As long as you can justify the legal requirement for genuine reason then you are compliant.

you use the word "authority’s" like they are some form of self governing king. The only authority is the relevant firearm laws that have been passed by state parliament.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 14 Aug 2021, 4:07 pm

I put in 2 application for 44 magnum pistol at the same time, as long as you can justify them, no problems.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 14 Aug 2021, 4:40 pm

MontyShooter wrote:All states are different but here in Vic you would be fine unless you are buying perhaps 3 of the same calibre.

I haven't had any difficulty with multiple rifles in the same chambering.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ChrisPer » 16 Aug 2021, 1:56 pm

In WA multiple applications either together or in a short time are normal. You just need to explain your genuine reason in the terms that lets the relevant coppers keep thir jobs if they approve you.
ChrisPer
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by ChrisPer » 16 Aug 2021, 1:59 pm

you use the word "authority’s" like they are some form of self governing king. The only authority is the relevant firearm laws that have been passed by state parliament.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Not effectively true in Western Australia.

The Commuissioner of Police is the ultimate authority here, and the politicians are unable to get better behaviour from the Police.
ChrisPer
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 01 Sep 2021, 9:06 pm

Be aware that each application for an additional firearm/s is $221 whether it is one rifle or many. Add the cost of a servicability certificate if required. It would be smarter to work out what firearms you want/need and pay the $221 fee only once for multiple firearms.
Last edited by Diamond Jim on 02 Sep 2021, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Sep 2021, 9:11 pm

yoshie wrote:I put in 2 application for 44 magnum pistol at the same time, as long as you can justify them, no problems.

Need two 44 mags because I have two hands :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 02 Sep 2021, 1:47 am

WA is "special".
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 02 Sep 2021, 7:05 am

A PTA costs $221 in WA? Ouch.
It's like $8 in Vic.
Do you at least get your money back if you don't buy a gun?
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 02 Sep 2021, 7:17 am

sorry couldn't resist. They will probably just think your a homo if you get a creedmore that's all :sarcasm:
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Diamond Jim » 02 Sep 2021, 7:49 pm

MontyShooter wrote:A PTA costs $221 in WA? Ouch.
It's like $8 in Vic.
Do you at least get your money back if you don't buy a gun?

Sadly, no. The process is reversed in WA compared to normal states. We don't have a PTA but, rather, every gun is treated as a separate licence (although they are all listed on one bit of paper).

Here, you go to a gun shop and pay for the firearm. Then you apply online and do all the checks through Australia Post where you pay the fee. Then WAPOL decides if it is going to grant you a licence. If they decide not to grant the licence, you are refunded only part of the fee. Australia Post keeps their "processing" part of the fee. In the process you never have direct contact with the licensing authority (WAPOL).

After you've bought it and taken it home, if you decide that the gun is unsuitable, you destroy it somehow (back the ute over it?) or just want to change like for like you have to go through the whole process again with new fees, application, property letter, Aus Post etc.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws