FIREARMS AMENDMENT BILL 2021

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: FIREARMS AMENDMENT BILL 2021

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Nov 2022, 2:48 pm

If i lived in WA I'd be carefull to keep screen shots of that WA Police policy. But policy is not law and can change on a whim.

However looking at the definition (which would be argued in court) I'd suggest we do not manufacture.

We recondition, or perhaps reassemble the manufactured components.

Resized_Screenshot_20221123-153830_Samsung_Internet.jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20221123-153830_Samsung_Internet.jpeg (187.88 KiB) Viewed 8897 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Nov 2022, 4:52 pm

Dont hold me to this, but just looking elsewhere. Info suggests:

You will NOT be able to:
Adjust your trigger
Change a stock
Undergo any "repairs"
Replace parts.
Possess drawings of firearm parts etc.

You will only be able to:
Carry out manufacturers recommended maintenance.

Poiice will NOT need a warrant to search your premises or remove materials, parts, firearms etc if they "suspect" you of illegal activities.

Well, I guess on principle alone they can expect fewer tourists from East Coast.

Sounds stupid in addition to fukd to me.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2022, 5:04 pm

Yep, there are a lot of amendments throughout the Act and Regs.
https://www.legislation.wa.gov.au/legislation/prod/filestore.nsf/FileURL/mrdoc_45612.pdf/$FILE/Firearms%20Act%201973%20-%20%5B06-h0-00%5D.pdf?OpenElement
https://www.legislation.wa.gov.au/legislation/prod/filestore.nsf/FileURL/mrdoc_45628.pdf/$FILE/Firearms%20Regulations%201974%20-%20%5B09-q0-00%5D.pdf?OpenElement

Oldbloke wrote:Dont hold me to this, but just looking elsewhere. Info suggests:

You will NOT be able to:
Adjust your trigger
Change a stock
Undergo any "repairs"
Replace parts.

Poiice will NOT need a warrant to search your premises or remove materials, parts, firearms etc if they "suspect" you of illegal activities.

Well, I guess on principle alone they can expect fewer tourists from East Coast.

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 23 Nov 2022, 8:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
NorthWester wrote:Re: Reloading.

WAPOL have this on their FAQ's regarding the new amendments...

Will reloading ammunition constitute manufacturing ammunition?

Personal firearm licence holders have always been allowed to reload ammunition for firearms listed on their licence for personal use. They cannot reload ammunition for calibres not on their licence and cannot reload ammunition for supply or sale to others.

There has been no change to the existing policy position that would prevent a personal firearm licence holder from continuing to reload ammunition for their own personal use.

Is policy valid in law?

No.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by NorthWester » 24 Nov 2022, 2:20 pm

You will NOT be able to:
Adjust your trigger
Change a stock
Undergo any "repairs"
Replace parts.

It also looks like if we had changed out stock out previously (i.e. dropped in a MDT Chassis) then we might need to get a modification permit retrospectively. Opens up a whole can of worms. What if you brought a secondhand rifle and its stock had bene changed previously, but that wasn't apparent to you (not talking about obvious stock changes) or even perhaps it has a replacement trigger. You might not be aware of such and then may contravene the law if ever inspected. A whole minefield here...
NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Boundry Rider » 24 Nov 2022, 3:19 pm

NorthWester wrote:

You will NOT be able to:
Adjust your trigger
Change a stock
Undergo any "repairs"
Replace parts.

It also looks like if we had changed out stock out previously (i.e. dropped in a MDT Chassis) then we might need to get a modification permit retrospectively. Opens up a whole can of worms. What if you brought a secondhand rifle and its stock had bene changed previously, but that wasn't apparent to you (not talking about obvious stock changes) or even perhaps it has a replacement trigger. You might not be aware of such and then may contravene the law if ever inspected. A whole minefield here...

You need a serviceability certificate to sell a rifle. The dealer will recognise that the MDT wasn't as the rifle was originally licensed and then your sale is neutralized. You won't get a serviceability certificate, and you'll need to get a permit to modify as well to continue to own the rifle as modified.
The legislation doesn't excuse firearms already modified. Everything is now at WAPOL discretion.
As said before if they decide to prosecute, you are unable to be found not guilty on these issues as they're clearly an offense in the amended act.
WA LAFO are screwed on all fronts at all levels.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Western Australia gun laws