FIREARMS AMENDMENT BILL 2021

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: FIREARMS AMENDMENT BILL 2021

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2022, 4:12 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Mar 2022, 4:33 pm

How convenient
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 01 Apr 2022, 12:35 pm

This is a new narrative from the police that until now have respectively distinguished between people doing the right thing and criminals when it comes to firearms.
They are targeting law abiding gun owners. Intentionally demonising them, as is the local media.
It smells funny. It smells like special fried rice or dim sims.
Maybe those pushing this new agenda are getting kickbacks from big investors.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 01 Apr 2022, 1:12 pm

womble wrote:This is a new narrative from the police that until now have respectively distinguished between people doing the right thing and criminals when it comes to firearms.
They are targeting law abiding gun owners. Intentionally demonising them, as is the local media.

Seriously? He had multiple magazines loaded and the gun was not kept safe. And he stole the firearm. That is not a law abiding citizen by any stretch.
And you really think that those pushing this agenda are getting kickbacks? As in corrupt payments?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Apr 2022, 2:43 pm

Ummm, I think what womble was referring to was that the owner who's rifle was stolen has now been charged. The victim if you like.

But then he did just leave it in his car. Not a safe.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 01 Apr 2022, 2:53 pm

Moreso referencing wapol and media .
Bloke who left a firearm in his car was a victim of theft.
Bloke who stole a firearm should be locked up.
Black and white as that.
None of this grey, improper storage enabled a thief bull crap.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by noneyabussiness » 01 Apr 2022, 3:18 pm

even referencing him as " the victim " .. so if i have one of my firearms locked in my car for whatever reason, and it get stolen, does that mean I'm liable to prosecution?? its insane!!
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by womble » 01 Apr 2022, 3:28 pm

animalpest wrote:
womble wrote:This is a new narrative from the police that until now have respectively distinguished between people doing the right thing and criminals when it comes to firearms.

Seriously? He had multiple magazines loaded and the gun was not kept safe. And he stole the firearm. That is not a law abiding citizen by any stretch.
And you really think that those pushing this agenda are getting kickbacks? As in corrupt payments?

I think its entirely possible. We dont have a watchdog. We know the chinese invest heavily in influencing our politicians, our media, and even our social media.
I’m just looking for reason behind civil disarmament, who stands to benefit the most.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Apr 2022, 5:20 pm

The laws aren't working.. we need more laws.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by dnedative » 01 Apr 2022, 5:20 pm

Not sure that argument would fly here, have quite clear memories of when a police officer left his loaded service issue pistol on the backseat of his unlocked car overnight and it got pinched and when another one left his in a bag on the floor of Mcdonalds and it ended up in the hands of the Banditos who did offer to sell it back for about $15,000. Heard stories about pistols falling onto the road getting into cars, falling off police on motorbikes, magazines falling out and people finding them.

If they want to say shooters f*** up every now and then and have a crack then it goes both ways.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 01 Apr 2022, 5:43 pm

Something seems off about the stolen rifle, the report said that there was no damage to the vehicle and is worded to imply that the theft hadn't been reported since the previous week as they had to 'track him down' to ask, but the underlying bias is too great to be sure.

The mention of the new act seems odd too, I'd have expected that all of these things be in place already, I'm fairly sure they already are in other states:

"The new Act will give police the power to refuse an application in the name of “community safety” and revoke gun licences from people deemed to be “not fit and proper”.
Other proposed reforms include strengthened training requirements, giving police the power to take guns from those convicted of serious domestic violence, and enhanced security and storage rules."

In fact, the earlier quote from the police themselves confirms part of that.
"“Obviously we don’t leave firearms in cars unsecured and there’s clear legislation that firearm owners will be aware that they need to store and secure firearms at all times,” he said."

I suspect that media are just being told that 'sensible' reform is taking place whilst in reality it already is in place and over the top draconian new laws are going to be steamrolled through. As there are only 89,000 licensed shooters spread over the whole of WA it's clearly not enough for politicians to care about their votes given their overwhelming ALP majority in the state.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 01 Apr 2022, 5:58 pm

89,000 in a population of 2,7 million.
It’s concerning and it’s targeted discrimination against a minority group.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Apr 2022, 8:24 pm

dnedative wrote:Not sure that argument would fly here, have quite clear memories of when a police officer left his loaded service issue pistol on the backseat of his unlocked car overnight and it got pinched and when another one left his in a bag on the floor of Mcdonalds and it ended up in the hands of the Banditos who did offer to sell it back for about $15,000. Heard stories about pistols falling onto the road getting into cars, falling off police on motorbikes, magazines falling out and people finding them.

If they want to say shooters f*** up every now and then and have a crack then it goes both ways.

Police armouries being robbed, cops tackled during riots and rolled for their piece, a particular Daewoo shotgun handed in during 96 ending up in the hands of Martin Bryant, a police firearm left in a public toilet, AFP Pistol and ammunition stolen from vehicle, gun and taser stolen from hotel room... the list would actually be massive.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tomotron » 01 Apr 2022, 9:50 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
dnedative wrote:Not sure that argument would fly here, have quite clear memories of when a police officer left his loaded service issue pistol on the backseat of his unlocked car overnight and it got pinched and when another one left his in a bag on the floor of Mcdonalds and it ended up in the hands of the Banditos who did offer to sell it back for about $15,000. Heard stories about pistols falling onto the road getting into cars, falling off police on motorbikes, magazines falling out and people finding them.

Police armouries being robbed, cops tackled during riots and rolled for their piece, a particular Daewoo shotgun handed in during 96 ending up in the hands of Martin Bryant, a police firearm left in a public toilet, AFP Pistol and ammunition stolen from vehicle, gun and taser stolen from hotel room... the list would actually be massive.

The Port Arthur AR-15 being an ex-VICPOL SOG rifle handed in during a 1987 Victorian buyback by a military rifle club member iirc.
Attachments
67352039_403083073891360_1191207491623452672_n.jpg
67352039_403083073891360_1191207491623452672_n.jpg (116.58 KiB) Viewed 20587 times
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by DJCoopes » 02 Apr 2022, 2:58 pm

niteowl wrote:Basically you can have whatever you want

This statement is false.
We can't have "Military Appearance" firearms such as the WFA1, SP-15, MPR308, Yarra Sheila, etc
The 7615 is banned for no reason
Cat D is significantly harder to get than in states such as QLD
Crossbows are completely illegal, same with Suppressors
No barrels less than 16.5" (unless its a cat H)

As a side note, there is also no crown land hunting which is really sad, and detrimental to our environment
.22LR Lever
.30-30WIN Break
12G Break
12G Bolt
==============
Glory to Australia!
-John Williamson
DJCoopes
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by geoff » 02 Apr 2022, 5:10 pm

womble wrote:Moreso referencing wapol and media .
Black and white as that.

He might have been subjected to crime and had his possessions stolen but he's hardly a victim, he's a frickin moron who deserves no sympathy

If you leave a rifle in an unlocked car in a metro suburb for a couple of days, with loaded magazines, you're a lowbreed who doesn't deserve their licence in our current climate.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ash_hendo » 02 Apr 2022, 9:22 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
geoff wrote:[We can put aside the glaring issue that cops shouldn't write the laws, they should enforce them...

:clap: it's probably a constitutional validation... if it's not, it should be.

As much as I appreciate the Police keeping our society safe and its generally a hard job, I do feel their contribution to law making should be the same as ours, ie making suggestions to politicians. To allow them to write laws directly would be very scary. Too much temptation to get rid of due process. The old days of search warrants etc, although slowing down police, did protect freedoms and stopped people living in fear of the authorities.
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Apr 2022, 9:33 pm

geoff wrote:
Black and white as that.

He might have been subjected to crime and had his possessions stolen but he's hardly a victim, he's a frickin moron who deserves no sympathy

If you leave a rifle in an unlocked car in a metro suburb for a couple of days, with loaded magazines, you're a lowbreed who doesn't deserve their licence in our current climate.

Your right not very smart. But if you forget to lock your front door and goods are stolen you are a victim. So same IMO.

What's the bet the thief gets a lesser punishment though.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 02 Apr 2022, 10:05 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
geoff wrote:
Black and white as that.

Your right not very smart. But if you forget to lock your front door and goods are stolen you are a victim. So same IMO.

What's the bet the thief gets a lesser punishment though.

I'll argue with you on plenty of other things but we are in complete agreeance there

Potentially violent offender on a firearms charge, already out on bail....
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Barbarian » 02 Apr 2022, 11:14 pm

DJCoopes wrote:

This statement is false.
We can't have "Military Appearance" firearms such as the WFA1, SP-15, MPR308, Yarra Sheila, etc

As a side note, there is also no crown land hunting which is really sad, and detrimental to our environment

For sure I'd have put myself down for a MPR308 if I knew it wouldn't be a waste of my money even trying to get it.

Its one reason I was hopeful the review of the act carried out a few years ago might have been beneificial as it found that there was no practical reason for the prohibition of 'millitary appearance' firearms.

I know the plod cited public safety and inciting fear, but in the same statement they said that officers take every report involving firearms with the same severity. So it doesn't matter if my rifle looks black and scary or if it's an old single shot .22lr

The only time people are going to see a black rifle is if its being carried from your car to the firing line, your car to the gun shop (if your not at least putting a gun sock on it if you don't have a rifle bag, get one. Your rifle probably came with a calico bag ffs.) in both cases it'll be in your bag/case - when your out hunting? Your on private property full stop, everyone who needs to know is aware that you are on that property or you are likely alone. (As mentioned above, we can't hunt on crown land here)
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by niteowl » 02 Apr 2022, 11:36 pm

DJCoopes wrote:

This statement is false.

I did say basically. OK you can't have some "military" looking items, but they are looks only, they don't do anything for you except satisfy fantasies. You can have the same calibres. People claim you can't have more than one of a calibre, garbage, you can't have more than 4 firearms, garbage, firearm licenses are hard to get, garbage. So what is it you really want? What is the real requirement you have for Cat D??
No crown land hunting, what bush do you live under? I admit it is not just open go for everyone, but there is a lot around if you bother to look.
I assure you all the above is available.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 03 Apr 2022, 11:23 am

No Cat D available in WA.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Tomotron » 03 Apr 2022, 11:49 am

animalpest wrote:No Cat D available in WA.

The 2016 LRC report addressed this and it recommended to allow Cat D for professional hunters AND primary producers like the eastern states.
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by geoff » 03 Apr 2022, 3:01 pm

niteowl wrote:
DJCoopes wrote:

This statement is false.

I did say basically. OK you can't have some "military" looking items, but they are looks only, they don't do anything for you except satisfy fantasies. You can have the same calibres. People claim you can't have more than one of a calibre, garbage, you can't have more than 4 firearms, garbage, firearm licenses are hard to get, garbage. So what is it you really want? What is the real requirement you have for Cat D??
No crown land hunting, what bush do you live under? I admit it is not just open go for everyone, but there is a lot around if you bother to look.

Yeah alright bro, go and try and get yourself on some of those crown land culls. I double dog dare you. It's a purple circle and if you've not beeon one of the boys for 20 years you aint got a chance in hell if taking a firearm on public lands.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by niteowl » 03 Apr 2022, 3:52 pm

geoff wrote:
niteowl wrote:
DJCoopes wrote:

This statement is false.

Yeah alright bro, go and try and get yourself on some of those crown land culls. I double dog dare you. It's a purple circle and if you've not beeon one of the boys for 20 years you aint got a chance in hell if taking a firearm on public lands.

Been doing it for over 20 years and still doing it. It is not out of the question even for others. No purple circle, too many people find it is not an automatic thing with a casual enquiry, and carry on about purple circles !
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by niteowl » 03 Apr 2022, 3:58 pm

Like I said, "what is your real requirement to have Cat D?"
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 03 Apr 2022, 5:42 pm

niteowl - umm.. professional culling? :sarcasm:
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by noneyabussiness » 03 Apr 2022, 6:09 pm

niteowl wrote:

Ill put a scenario forward...

coming up on a mob of 30 pigs out whoop whoop eastern WA, now currently you would fire off a round and you would get 1 maybe 2 ( 3 if no cover and a good shot ) , if you had a semi " cat d " you would more likely get 3 to 5 ( or more )... if we had access to a suppressor you could probably get the whole 30 lol.. considering the enormous pest problem we have here in Australia it would be incredibly beneficial... so as long as properly vetted ( the laws are already in place) it would actually be a good thing..
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 03 Apr 2022, 7:23 pm

Shooting pigs from a helicopter with a bolt gun with them on the run doesnt work
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 03 Apr 2022, 8:13 pm

niteowl wrote:

I don't discuss job/contracts/work on a forum, or with people I don't know. I have real requirements but as I am not in government any more, WA law makes it more than difficult.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia gun laws