No more personal shipping of components in WA?

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

No more personal shipping of components in WA?

Post by bladeracer » 08 Dec 2021, 11:59 am

Just noticed a new message on Rebelgunworks.com.au homepage.
1182021125541.jpg
1182021125541.jpg (46.53 KiB) Viewed 7897 times

Last time I examined the Act, it specified components as anything propelled from the firearm, so technically would not include brass. But knowing WA, until somebody actually sues them over it I'm sure they'll keep charging people over possession of empty brass.

Any WA members been getting knocked back ordering bullets online?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: No more personal shipping of components in WA?

Post by geoff » 08 Dec 2021, 3:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Yes - I am getting knocked back repeatedly at the moment. Very painful.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Dec 2021, 7:16 pm

geoff wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

That sucks.
Must be about time somebody set up a freight forwarding service I reckon.
What exactly would the offence be for receiving bullets without going through a dealer? The transporters are exempt from requiring a licence while handling bullets or firearms (not ammunition), the consignee is licenced to possess them in WA, the interstate person sending them doesn't require any licence to possess them, so I can't see any issue at all.
I'm not aware of any actual law prohibiting importing brass or bullets from interstate into WA. There are laws prohibiting importing brass and bullets into any state from outside of Australia though.
Perhaps this is something dreamed up within the industry to allow dealers to charge for their service?
Perhaps something is happening behind the scenes requiring WA dealers to track sales of components now, without any legal grounds?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Dec 2021, 8:05 pm

Do people eat with their fingers in WA?

I mean, kitchen knives are surely banned, or at least need to be registered and a licence to hold.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 08 Dec 2021, 9:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
geoff wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

That sucks.
Must be about time somebody set up a freight forwarding service I reckon.
What exactly would the offence be for receiving bullets without going through a dealer? The transporters are exempt from requiring a licence while handling bullets or firearms (not ammunition), the consignee is licenced to possess them in WA, the interstate person sending them doesn't require any licence to possess them, so I can't see any issue at all.
I'm not aware of any actual law prohibiting importing brass or bullets from interstate into WA. There are laws prohibiting importing brass and bullets into any state from outside of Australia though.
Perhaps this is something dreamed up within the industry to allow dealers to charge for their service?
Perhaps something is happening behind the scenes requiring WA dealers to track sales of components now, without any legal grounds?

If you check out the Cleavers website, they are effectively using a dealer as a freight forwarder for lack of a better term. He's not even a regular storefront dealer he's some obscure dude that sells vintage BP pistols lol

Seeing your post here explains why all the QLD based dealers I used to shop online with have put the wall up to us recently. I have a pending order with an online retailer in another state and hopefully that gets fulfilled before any of this malarkey starts there.

I don't think there's any behind the scenes voodoo going on, this is just standard WAPOL practice of making the law up as they go and not just enforcing it. Firearms licencing at WAPOL just about consider themselves to be a Cabinet position of the state gov these days and not just public servants :roll:
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 09 Dec 2021, 9:10 am

Heard on the "grapevine" this could easily include sex toys. NO 9mm dildo's for WA.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by MtnMan » 09 Dec 2021, 7:49 pm

I know a bloke in WA who's first name is Mark that needs a dildo considerably bigger than that!!
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 11 Dec 2021, 1:57 pm

Must have some highly paid ex OH&S advising them is my guess.

Mark McGowan eliminated the virus and never really shut down :drinks:
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Tilb004 » 12 Dec 2021, 9:46 pm

geoff wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I'm getting projectiles from projectile warehouse with no worries to WA
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by geoff » 13 Dec 2021, 12:38 am

Tilb004 wrote:
geoff wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Unfortunately they're out of stock for the particular projectiles I'm after, but I've had great experiences with them in the last yes. WAPOL probably browse these forums so they can no doubt expect an email like Rebel got :roll:
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2021, 8:57 am

Tilb004 wrote:
geoff wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Good to see somebody sees how nonsensical the situation is. An email from a Policeman is not law.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 15 Dec 2021, 11:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Good to see somebody sees how nonsensical the situation is. An email from a Policeman is not law.

Most dealers don't have the balls to stand up tho. If Mr Plod emails them, they'll tuck their tail behind their legs and fall in line.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by moopere » 24 Dec 2021, 6:28 pm

dpskipper wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Most dealers don't have the balls to stand up tho. If Mr Plod emails them, they'll tuck their tail behind their legs and fall in line.

Whilst this is absolutely true, we shouldn't collectively direct any real anger or frustration at dealers for this type of thing.

In my view the reality in Australia for a long time, across the board not only with gun law, is that those in power or those who have been delegated to enforce on behalf of that power, have been abusing us for ages. No one seems to care whether an edict is lawful, they just do whatever it is that forwards their own agenda. Law be damned, theres no hope of any meaningful ramifications to pursuing their own line of thought in this way, none whatsoever. The last couple of years, and particularly 2021, have made this abundantly clear.

What we in Australia actually need is an energetic nationwide representative body. No, the SSAA is not that body. We need the equivalent of the NRA in the USA. A body that is funded by interested people, and that should be all of us, who will actively pursue illegal activity by state and federal bodies through the high court of Australia, setting precedent law as they go along their way. The threat alone of such a well toothed beast would actually keep most of the worst offenders in line - because successful challenges set legal precedent and that can work directly against activist office holders plans and wishes for years.

Individuals, including individual dealers, clubs, etc, just get hammered into oblivion if they stick their heads above the parapet. Its no wonder that none do. Who's got the hefty $ required to push back against egregious local enforcement that will almost always take years and end up in the supreme court of a state? A national body, drawing funding from members in all states would have that financial clout and a singular purpose in life - stop and/or repeal terrible law.
moopere
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by dpskipper » 29 Dec 2021, 7:58 pm

What a well articulated pipedream you have! :sarcasm: :drinks:
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by moopere » 30 Dec 2021, 2:33 pm

dpskipper wrote:What a well articulated pipedream you have! :sarcasm: :drinks:

Even as I wrote it I realised I was dreaming :P

Still, I'm glad we're talking about such stuff. The more talk the more thought (hopefully), and we all collectively should be thinking about such stuff when we get an opportunity to affect outcomes, like, for example, elections.

I note that WAPOL (and other state POL's) make 'suggestions' which are not based in law, that then are quite often acceded to simply because to not do so invites informal targeting. Its a form of agenda creep. Before you know it, we're being restricted by conformity thats miles away from actual law.

We Australians are particularly susceptible to this as, despite how it seems sometimes, we're not actually a nation of 'Karens'. 'She'll be right mate' is an old saying that still holds sway for the most part. We're not usually that quick to shirt-front someone who encroaches on our personal space (freedoms). Our goodwill in this sense is easily abused.
moopere
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by brett » 10 Jan 2022, 11:32 pm

its called the NSC ! they are starting small but definately fighting hard for us all. sign up and support them now!
brett
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by dhv » 11 Jan 2022, 10:24 pm

brett wrote:its called the NSC ! they are starting small but definately fighting hard for us all. sign up and support them now!

:allegedly:
dhv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Western Australia gun laws