Shipping Firearms to WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Shipping Firearms to WA

Post by N.Field » 14 Dec 2021, 9:30 am

I just located a new rifle in QLD that I haven't been able to source from any dealers in WA. The QLD dealer has informed me that to get the rifle to WA he has to send it to another dealer (unidentified) in Brisbane who will then arrange for it to be shipped to Perth Arms & Armour (PA&A) located in the Perth Metro area.

I understand, based on info at this link, that PA&A then bill me for the shipping cost from Brisbane

The cost of getting the gun to Brisbane will be $40 and, In addition to the QLD to WA freight charge, I assume a QLD dealer will charge some sort of handling fee as will PA&A. Then there is the cost of getting the thing from PA&A to my dealer in regional WA, if that's permitted. If not, then I will need to travel to Perth to get the serviceability certificate (unless PA&A will post/email it to me) and then again to collect the gun once (if) WAPOL approve the application.

As I see it I'm up for the following costs:
1. Purchase price of the rifle
2. Shipping from regional QLD to Brisbane
3. Handling fee charged by the shipping dealer
4. Freight charge Brisbane to Perth
5. Handling/storage fee by PA&A
6. Shipping cost from Perth to my dealer, if allowed
7. My dealer's fees
8. If 6 doesn't apply, my costs for travel to Perth at least once to collect the gun, assuming PA&A will post out or email the serviceability certificate.
9. The WAPOL charge for adding the gun to my licence - $221

I'm currently waiting to hear from PA&A regarding the likely cost of getting the gun here and whatever arrangements/costs apply after that.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Shipping Firearms to WA

Post by geoff » 14 Dec 2021, 10:51 am

There is no need for the middle man step. A QLD dealer is absolutely able to deal with your WA dealer direct. The question remains whether they will or not.

It can go straight from Timbuktu Guns QLD to Nowhere Arms WA. I would encourage the seller to pursue this. Ask for their local dealers details and speak to them directly.

If it's something you absolutely 200% can't get here then sure, but this has really gotta be worth it. I bought a Ruger #1 from QLD shipped to Perth and that was a ~$100 prospect, circa early 2020. I can't remember the name of the dealer used, he was a mate of the seller, some cerakote guy in the northern Brisbane suburbs.

Edit: I'm 99% certain this is the dealer who transferred my Ruger, if it helps:

http://www.protectivecc.com.au/for-sale/

He did a good job packaging my gun and it was sent pretty quick.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Dec 2021, 11:07 am

G'day geoff,
Are you sure the rural Qld dealer has access to WA interstate freight services? I know Victorian dealers who do not. If they send interstate they ship to another, larger dealer who does their shipping for them. N.Field may be in the same position in which case his choices may be limited. Best bet may be to ask a WA dealer to find the rifle he wants as that would probably work out cheaper.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 14 Dec 2021, 1:06 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day geoff,
Are you sure the rural Qld dealer has access to WA interstate freight services? I know Victorian dealers who do not. If they send interstate they ship to another, larger dealer who does their shipping for them. N.Field may be in the same position in which case his choices may be limited. Best bet may be to ask a WA dealer to find the rifle he wants as that would probably work out cheaper.

I'm buying from The Barn in Oakey QLD. It's been impossible to locate the particular rifle here in WA.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by geoff » 14 Dec 2021, 2:10 pm

Have you asked your local dealer if they can arrange for the freight? Typically the sending dealer does but it might be an option to avoid the extra layers.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ob1 » 14 Dec 2021, 3:50 pm

Do a Google search for

LSF93 Approved Commercial Carriers

and you will find a PDF listing approved carriers into WA.

For transfer between dealers within WA search for

Parcel Post Secure Accept and Collect
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by cz515 » 15 Dec 2021, 6:12 am

All I can say is, while Melbourne had the most lockdown in the world, but I am sure as hell glad I don't live in WA. It's just ridiculous what you guys have to do.

Good luck with your quest mate
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Western Australia gun laws