Caravan firearm storage in WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Caravan firearm storage in WA

Post by Asiseefit » 28 Jan 2022, 8:28 pm

Gday All, new to the forum and being a licensed shooter.
Has anyone come across alternative storage in a caravan
I spend 6 months a year in it travelling and working pastoral properties
Asiseefit
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Caravan firearm storage in WA

Post by JohnS1976 » 04 Feb 2022, 7:43 pm

I asked licencing about similar question when I was traveling up north. You can either 1. put it into storage at firearm shop and pay $30 a month and just go in to get it when you want to shoot. Or 2. carry it with you at all times and say you are "travelling". Technically if you are traveling, you have to have the firearm with you at all times and have it out of sight and your license on you. This blew my mind, cause technically it means you can just drive around all day with your gun, which I actually did for 2 months.
Weeee
JohnS1976
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2022, 8:01 pm

Asiseefit wrote:Gday All, new to the forum and being a licensed shooter.
Has anyone come across alternative storage in a caravan
I spend 6 months a year in it travelling and working pastoral properties

Not recently but I lived in a caravan in the Kimberley 30 years ago, I just bolted a steel toolbox to the chassis under a bed.

When I travelled back to Perth in 2015 living in the bus I bolt a rifle safe into the bus
If you live in the van you shouldn't have problems. If you are merely travelling you will want to have some reason to have your firearms with you, written permission from a property owner in the area, local club membership or competition entry, and be aware that if your firearms are licenced for club use you can't use them on private property.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 05 Feb 2022, 12:16 pm

The locked box under a bed is a good plan.You obviously wish to have the firearm with you 24/7.I was a kangaroo shooter in the Gascoyne and was stopped coming in to Carnarvon a few times late at night and had my .222 on the dash full of crackers and unloaded while being stopped.Not a problem and you will find most police do not know the laws well and will call the station if in doubt.I would not do this in the Perth metro area as questions would be asked same as if I had a wrap of large knifes on the front seat.When your van is parked on a station knowing your stuff is in a locked box will give peace of mind
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Feb 2022, 1:21 pm

OP will need to be careful about bolting a safe in a van. Generally vans have only a small payload allowance. It's a catch 22.
Would an aluminium tool box comply? Got my doubts. Perhaps a 2 gun safe?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 15 Feb 2022, 10:28 pm

Oldbloke wrote:OP will need to be careful about bolting a safe in a van. Generally vans have only a small payload allowance. It's a catch 22.
Would an aluminium tool box comply? Got my doubts. Perhaps a 2 gun safe?

Aluminium box definitely wouldn't comply if you are ever leaving the van for a night out. I'd get a compliant gun safe and bolt it to solid structural members as per the regulations.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws