Genuine Need

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Genuine Need

Post by TigerPigeon » 22 Apr 2022, 8:44 pm

Hiya,

Recently submitted an original application in WA (Adler A110 & Tikka .223). Just got a letter stating that my Genuine Need ("Destruction if Vermin", as stated on my application) needs a more detailed explanation.

I was thinking of returning my application with "Destruction of pest animals at ranges greater than 100m(.223), and in numbers greater than two, when at close range(Adler)"

Just wanted to get some opinions from the initiated before I resubmit the application.

Transferring my dads guns as he's getting old and wants to get rid of them before he dies, we still own the farm where the firearms are used.
TigerPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Genuine Need

Post by Peter988 » 23 Apr 2022, 4:17 pm

Years back I had a similar thing in QLD. I had to specify what the vermin was and why it required a particular caliber eg a 223 would not be allowed if it was just rabbits.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Apr 2022, 4:57 pm

Funny how we've already been granted a licence based on genuine need, yet every time including the first time, we must ONCE AGAIN justify a genuine need. :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 23 Apr 2022, 5:22 pm

It’s not intended as humour, moreso to demonstrate unnecessary annoyance and animosity.
But yes, all you can do is laugh at the indignity.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 23 Apr 2022, 6:59 pm

'i haven't got one of those' is my genuine need most of the time.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 23 Apr 2022, 8:30 pm

Maybe saying a bit more than you want to shoot more than two at close range is needed.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Grumpy » 23 Apr 2022, 11:35 pm

From memory for my Dickinson I put something like “ Quick follow up shots for rabbits & feral cats on the fly”. They seem to want specific species & distances these days.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

UPDATE:

Post by TigerPigeon » 11 May 2022, 3:00 pm

FYI: this was accepted as clarification of my genuine need.

The following outlines the genuine need for the two firearms on the application.
• For the 223: Destruction of vermin/pest animals (foxes, feral cats & feral pigs) at ranges greater than 150 meters.
• For the Adler: Destruction of vermin/pest animals (foxes, rabbits, feral cats & feral pigs). In particular, for use on rabbits and pigs when encountered in large numbers.
TigerPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Peter988 » 12 May 2022, 8:14 am

Just proves they are just being arseholes making you explain the bloody obvious in such simple terms.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett » 18 May 2022, 11:34 am

speaking of arseholes, my mate applied for a 243 for some longer distance destruction of vermin and wapol asked him to explain why his 45 colt couldnt be used.
brett
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by cz515 » 18 May 2022, 9:17 pm

Are you allowed to shoot a hand gun for hunting/vermin control in WA.

Or after that letter could you use that letter to justify using a colt45 fir hunting
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 18 May 2022, 9:28 pm

cz515 wrote:Are you allowed to shoot a hand gun for hunting/vermin control in WA.

Or after that letter could you use that letter to justify using a colt45 fir hunting

No you are not. Handguns only for club use.
A bit like the Police looking for my .45 calibre when it was actually an old Daisy 4.5 mm air rifle.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by cz515 » 19 May 2022, 5:05 am

Lol.

So i would have replied, sorry WAPOL i didn't know i could use my colt45 to hunt. Thanks for clarity on the matter i shall now start to use the said colt for hunting purposes. Wonder how that go in court. :lol:
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Western Australia gun laws