Property letter questions

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Property letter questions

Post by oztorture » 25 Apr 2022, 9:03 pm

So do you need a property letter for every single property you plan to shoot on or just for getting your license? If you do - do you have to send it to WAPOL?

Just curious because if the chart is close to being right then you need 20a for a .22lr but I know plenty of people with 5a that have a .22lr?

So let's say you already have your gun and license for .22lr somewhere what is stopping you from shooting on a smaller property size e.g 5a?
oztorture
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Property letter questions

Post by bladeracer » 26 Apr 2022, 1:48 pm

oztorture wrote:So do you need a property letter for every single property you plan to shoot on or just for getting your license? If you do - do you have to send it to WAPOL?

Just curious because if the chart is close to being right then you need 20a for a .22lr but I know plenty of people with 5a that have a .22lr?

So let's say you already have your gun and license for .22lr somewhere what is stopping you from shooting on a smaller property size e.g 5a?

You need permission to shoot on any private property, I don't think you need to supply it to Police unless you are actually found on that property with a firearm.

You don't need any property letters to get a firearm, you can use clubs as your genuine reason but you can only shoot at clubs, you only need a property letter if you want to shoot on private property.

There is no minimum property size legislated for shooting in any state, property sizes are only for your licence application, or in WA for your permit to acquire a new firearm. Once you have your licence (or your new firearm in WA) you can shoot on any property you have permission for.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by oztorture » 26 Apr 2022, 2:42 pm

Thanks for your answer bladeracer!
oztorture
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Apr 2022, 3:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:You need permission to shoot on any private property, I don't think you need to supply it to Police unless you are actually found on that property with a firearm.

You don't need any property letters to get a firearm, you can use clubs as your genuine reason but you can only shoot at clubs, you only need a property letter if you want to shoot on private property.

There is no minimum property size legislated for shooting in any state, property sizes are only for your licence application, or in WA for your permit to acquire a new firearm. Once you have your licence (or your new firearm in WA) you can shoot on any property you have permission for.

Just to clarify my comment. If you use a club as your genuine reason for your firearm licence or to buy a firearm, you can NOT shoot on any private property even with a property letter. You must apply for your licence or your firearm with a property letter to be able to shoot on _any_ private property in WA.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Barbarian » 30 Apr 2022, 11:57 am

bladeracer wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Just to clarify my comment. If you use a club as your genuine reason for your firearm licence or to buy a firearm, you can NOT shoot on any private property even with a property letter. You must apply for your licence or your firearm with a property letter to be able to shoot on _any_ private property in WA.

Also further to Bladeracer's comment, that permission does not need to be written however it will help when dealing with the plod if it is. I've had no problems with a screenshot of a Text Message but I generally just carry a little red Elder's notebook with my shooting gear and write out a little note and get the property owner's signature, the date and sign it myself. Lives in my pocket in a zip lock bag to keep it dry.

If you are in any doubt about property sizes for your application, ask your LGS, they should be able to help.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws