Transfer of Ownership

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Transfer of Ownership

Post by Rider888 » 05 May 2022, 10:33 am

Is anyone familiar with the process of transferring my H Cat firearms in NSW to a new custodian who holds a H Cat in WA?

Trying to see what "paperwork" may be required for this to take place and also, do I need to deliver the firearms in person?

Thank you
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Transfer of Ownership

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 12:17 pm

Rider888 wrote:Is anyone familiar with the process of transferring my H Cat firearms in NSW to a new custodian who holds a H Cat in WA?

Trying to see what "paperwork" may be required for this to take place and also, do I need to deliver the firearms in person?

Thank you

Custodian?
A custodian is only holding them for you aren't they? All that should entail is notification of a change of storage address.

If you are actually transferring ownership to another person that would involve the normal Permit to Acquire process, and everything else that entails in WA. You would need to deliver the firearms to your dealer but I don't know if you would have to do it in person in WA, here in Vic we don't. I've bought at least half a dozen firearms that I delivered myself to my dealer with the owner's details and had them transferred to my own licence. Three were from deceased estates. I also bought a rifle from a guy that emigrated to Canada, his dad delivered his firearms to his dealer in Qld who then sent the rifle to me in Victoria.

Your dealer would be the place to ask, or just call Firearms direct.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 05 May 2022, 2:55 pm

We don't have any legislative capacity for "custodianship" here in WA. You need to elaborate more on what/why you are planning.

We also don't have a Permit To Acquire system at all, like bladeracer eluded to, any firearm requires its own "additional" licence application.

It sounds like you want a friend to look after your guns for you in WA. Really their two options are to licence them as a Cat H licence of their own, and all the club support/participation requirements that go with that, or have them licensed to your friend as a collector.

You might be better off looking for a dealer to store them for a while and seek a leave of absence from your club for participation. I dont think that what you're looking for is really plausible? It's not a car, you can't just transfer it into someone elses name. Especially a Cat H

EDIT: Furthermore you will be best off having this undertaken dealer to dealer, trying to deliver them in person to a WA dealer (they will have to go to a dealer for a serviceability certificate) will necessitate an interstate entry permit.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 3:05 pm

geoff wrote:We don't have any legislative capacity for "custodianship" here in WA. You need to elaborate more on what/why you are planning.

We also don't have a Permit To Acquire system at all, like bladeracer eluded to, any firearm requires its own "additional" licence application.

It sounds like you want a friend to look after your guns for you in WA. Really their two options are to licence them as a Cat H licence of their own, and all the club support/participation requirements that go with that, or have them licensed to your friend as a collector.

You might be better off looking for a dealer to store them for a while and seek a leave of absence from your club for participation. I dont think that what you're looking for is really plausible? It's not a car, you can't just transfer it into someone elses name. Especially a Cat H

EDIT: Furthermore you will be best off having this undertaken dealer to dealer, trying to deliver them in person to a WA dealer (they will have to go to a dealer for a serviceability certificate) will necessitate an interstate entry permit.

Good point, I missed that he is sending them from NSW so basically he is selling them interstate. Has to go from a NSW dealer to a WA dealer.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 05 May 2022, 3:12 pm

Yeah, whatever custodian means this is probably going to wind up in the too hard basket pretty quick going from NSW to WA.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Rider888 » 05 May 2022, 8:44 pm

Custodian at this stage could mean, giving away permanently
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 9:08 pm

Rider888 wrote:Custodian at this stage could mean, giving away permanently

Same as selling it then, so all the same rigmarole and expense unfortunately.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 06 May 2022, 6:54 am

bladeracer wrote:
Rider888 wrote:Custodian at this stage could mean, giving away permanently

Same as selling it then, so all the same rigmarole and expense unfortunately.

OK thank you. FAR NSW have now managed to entrap me so I need to provide a GP letter to support my ongoing licence
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 06 May 2022, 6:55 am

geoff wrote:Yeah, whatever custodian means this is probably going to wind up in the too hard basket pretty quick going from NSW to WA.

Just looking at temporarily/permamantly "gifting" my H-Cats to a family friend for safe keeping
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 06 May 2022, 8:15 am

WA has to be the worst place to send them due to the cost of not just shipping but the licensing of them.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2022, 8:42 am

Rider888 wrote:
geoff wrote:Yeah, whatever custodian means this is probably going to wind up in the too hard basket pretty quick going from NSW to WA.

Just looking at temporarily/permamantly "gifting" my H-Cats to a family friend for safe keeping

Talk to your dealer or your club about storing them for you.
Or sell them to somebody you trust to sell them back to you when you get sorted.
Unless your friend really wants them, transferring them to WA is just going to add needless expense and headache.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 06 May 2022, 9:12 am

bladeracer wrote:
Rider888 wrote:

Talk to your dealer or your club about storing them for you.
Or sell them to somebody you trust to sell them back to you when you get sorted.
Unless your friend really wants them, transferring them to WA is just going to add needless expense and headache.

Thats why I was looking at this option to send them to WA as my sister in law's brother is a WA COP and holds a H Cat licence so he could take them for me until I am ready to take them back
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2022, 11:45 am

Rider888 wrote:Thats why I was looking at this option to send them to WA as my sister in law's brother is a WA COP and holds a H Cat licence so he could take them for me until I am ready to take them back

He should be able to tell you exactly what's involved then. At your end you just need to deliver them to your dealer, nothing more. Your dealer transfers them off your licence onto theirs, then they send them to his dealer in WA. Then he can sort out the serviceability certs and licencing. You will be transferring ownership to him though, they won't remain yours.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 06 May 2022, 11:46 am

bladeracer wrote:
Rider888 wrote:Thats why I was looking at this option to send them to WA as my sister in law's brother is a WA COP and holds a H Cat licence so he could take them for me until I am ready to take them back

He should be able to tell you exactly what's involved then. At your end you just need to deliver them to your dealer, nothing more. Your dealer transfers them off your licence onto theirs, then they send them to his dealer in WA. Then he can sort out the serviceability certs and licencing.

Thank you for your advice.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lcpltac » 06 May 2022, 2:02 pm

I think you underestimate the embuggerance that WA Firearms licensing entails, police officer or not. He is going to need Club support for each Cat H firearm so he would need to be a member of a club that entertains the right disciplines. Cost can be managed by a bulk application. There is a temporary permit system available but that’s typically used to transport a firearm from dealer to dealer within WA, not issued long term. Dealer storage is likely the best option.
lcpltac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by geoff » 06 May 2022, 4:40 pm

Your club night consider doing you a solid and "buying" them off you as "club guns" if you work out a deal. I have heard of that happening in the past and then once whatever legal or medical or personal dramas are sorted the person then "buys" it back off the club and gets it back on their licence.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 06 May 2022, 5:11 pm

You might just want to inquire about what the cost of the transfer is in WA for each gun. Somebody here may be able to help you with that. I think you are in for a surprise. Its a lot more than the $9.20 in Vic.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2022, 5:30 pm

Larry wrote:You might just want to inquire about what the cost of the transfer is in WA for each gun. Somebody here may be able to help you with that. I think you are in for a surprise. Its a lot more than the $9.20 in Vic.

The cost to the owner is nothing though, and if the "buyer" is getting them for free, the fees probably aren't terrible in the big picture. When he "buys" the pistols back he'll be up for the $10 permits plus a transfer fee from his dealer in Victoria. But if the owner is paying for the lot just to have somebody in WA care for his pistols for a while, the cost is certainly going to add up.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 12 May 2022, 9:24 pm

Rider888 wrote:

Your friend will need local club support for each handgun and a genuine reason and genuine need for each gun. My club requires members to undergo a 12-13 week training course and six months membership before they will give a support letter. If your membership lapses you lose club support and must surrender the firearm or sell it.

Your friend will require a serviceability certificate for each gun from a dealer or club armourer - say $25 each. There will be a WAPOL application fee of $221.00 if your friend already has a license or $309.00 if it is a new license.

WA deliberately makes it difficult in order to discourage firearm ownership.
Last edited by Diamond Jim on 18 May 2022, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brett » 18 May 2022, 11:08 am

forget the idea of WA even if you have a cop with cat H here. it will cost a fortune if it is even possible. how many handguns and what calibres? you would be better working out your current issues in NSW and getting whatever medical required. If you are being unfairly screwed by licensing then talk to NSC as they might be able to help you get it sorted.
brett
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws