NSC opinion piece in The West Australian newspaper

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

NSC opinion piece in The West Australian newspaper

Post by westaussie » 05 May 2022, 11:32 am

Attachments
the-west-nsc.png
screenshot of the article
the-west-nsc.png (652.75 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
westaussie
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: NSC opinion piece in The West Australian newspaper

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 12:23 pm

westaussie wrote:NSC's opinion piece in The West;

https://nationalshooting.org.au/our-opi ... ustralian/

Nothing is "required under the NFA" as it never became law.

A good start would be getting the Police Union to apologise to all firearm owners and retract their statement that legal firearm owners are a workplace safety issue to its members. I don't believe they have ever ever said that criminals are a workplace safety issue, just legally-licenced firearm owners.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 05 May 2022, 12:59 pm

This sort of rhetoric about inefficiency and waste is going to be more effective than screaming for an apology.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 05 May 2022, 2:07 pm

Was the "permit to acquire" system that is used in other Sates a requirement of the NFA or was it a system that requires an application to acquire?
WA has always had a system where each firearm must be applied for and I cannot see that changing.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 3:23 pm

animalpest wrote:Was the "permit to acquire" system that is used in other Sates a requirement of the NFA or was it a system that requires an application to acquire?
WA has always had a system where each firearm must be applied for and I cannot see that changing.

Nothing is "required" by the NFA in any state. Some states agreed to change some regs to suit what was proposed in the NFA, nobody was required to do anything.

We don't need to apply to licence each firearm here in Vic (and most other states). We just need to apply for a permit that allows us to acquire each new firearm and add it to our existing licence. Costs $10 plus a dealer transfer fee if you buy it from elsewhere, when I buy directly from my dealer it's just $10 on top of the firearm cost. We do still need to state a genuine reason for CatB firearms, but not for CatA. CatC we can only own one rimfire rifle and one shotgun, but I think that's the same in all states - you must remove your current CatC firearm from your licence before you can add a new one.

Some states, like Qld, specify minimum property sizes but only when applying for a licence, not for firearms. Once you are licenced you can shoot on any property size, there is no legislated minimum in any state.

In WA you need minimum property sizes to apply for _each_ firearm, including CatA I believe, even though you are not required to actually shoot on those properties, you can shoot on any size property. Here in Victoria, property size never enters into it for CatA/B.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 05 May 2022, 7:33 pm

I think that article made its point fairly well.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tomotron » 05 May 2022, 9:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
animalpest wrote:Was the "permit to acquire" system that is used in other Sates a requirement of the NFA or was it a system that requires an application to acquire?

Nothing is "required" by the NFA in any state. Some states agreed to change some regs to suit what was proposed in the NFA, nobody was required to do anything.

We don't need to apply to licence each firearm here in Vic (and most other states). We just need to apply for a permit that allows us to acquire each new firearm and add it to our existing licence. Costs $10 plus a dealer transfer fee if you buy it from elsewhere, when I buy directly from my dealer it's just $10 on top of the firearm cost. We do still need to state a genuine reason for CatB firearms, but not for CatA. CatC we can only own one rimfire rifle and one shotgun, but I think that's the same in all states - you must remove your current CatC firearm from your licence before you can add a new one.

Some states, like Qld, specify minimum property sizes but only when applying for a licence, not for firearms. Once you are licenced you can shoot on any property size, there is no legislated minimum in any state.

In WA you need minimum property sizes to apply for _each_ firearm, including CatA I believe, even though you are not required to actually shoot on those properties, you can shoot on any size property. Here in Victoria, property size never enters into it for CatA/B.

Yep, the NFA is not legally binding, any state can leave the NFA without legal repercussions. However, there's the looming threat of the federal government cutting crucial funding to x state if x state does leave. The NFA is used as a form of emotional blackmail.
Tomotron
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 05 May 2022, 11:24 pm

We only NEED 4 gun laws .
Not a book 3/4 of an inch thick .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria