No mail order projectiles out of WA then?

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

No mail order projectiles out of WA then?

Post by mickb » 29 Jun 2022, 11:20 am

Called a WA store( Im in QLD) chasing a certain projectile. They told me mailing 'gun parts' not possible out of WA anymore. And clarified to me projectiles fall under this rule. True or false folks, and if so how long has this law been in?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: No mail order projectiles out of WA then?

Post by Boundry Rider » 29 Jun 2022, 12:11 pm

Yep projectiles are classified as ammunition, and now need to be shipped as DG with the live ammo by suppliers INTO Western Australia.
This isn't new, came about a while ago (maybe 10 years?) but nobody picked up on it. I had projectiles shipped from QLD a couple of years ago but not any more.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 29 Jun 2022, 12:12 pm

There's no projectiles here anyhow lol
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jun 2022, 1:17 pm

mickb wrote:Called a WA store( Im in QLD) chasing a certain projectile. They told me mailing 'gun parts' not possible out of WA anymore. And clarified to me projectiles fall under this rule. True or false folks, and if so how long has this law been in?

Yep, WA sucks. I don't recall the exact date but not very long ago. They made a clarification that brass was no longer classed as ammunition and that seemed to fire them up about ensuring bullets weren't being transported as inert pieces of metal and had to be transported as explosives instead.

Which bullet are you chasing as I can keep an eye out for them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 29 Jun 2022, 2:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickb wrote:Called a WA store( Im in QLD) chasing a certain projectile. They told me mailing 'gun parts' not possible out of WA anymore. And clarified to me projectiles fall under this rule. True or false folks, and if so how long has this law been in?

Yep, WA sucks. I don't recall the exact date but not very long ago. They made a clarification that brass was no longer classed as ammunition and that seemed to fire them up about ensuring bullets weren't being transported as inert pieces of metal and had to be transported as explosives instead.

And who, exactly, is designating projectiles as being "explosives".

Given that propellant powder usually comes under the umbrella of mining authorities wrt carriage and storage, it might be interesting to get a declaration from that entity, in whichever State, that inert swaged metallic objects are, in fact explosives, rather than being the inert pieces of metal which they surely are.
Could be some interesting answers :) Perhaps even a test case?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 29 Jun 2022, 3:16 pm

No1_49er wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Given that propellant powder usually comes under the umbrella of mining authorities wrt carriage and storage, it might be interesting to get a declaration from that entity, in whichever State, that inert swaged metallic objects are, in fact explosives, rather than being the inert pieces of metal which they surely are.
Could be some interesting answers :) Perhaps even a test case?

Not explosives, listed as ammunition in the act. Therefore transported as such.
Doesn't matter as the new amendments will render projectiles illegal manufacturing components soon anyway. Then there'll be no projectiles etc in WA once its proclaimed. Refer to the other thread for arguments regarding that debate.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 29 Jun 2022, 4:04 pm

No1_49er wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The Western Australian Gestapo who else
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 29 Jun 2022, 5:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Cheers blade 44 cal 200 grain gold dots. Just picked up a few more boxes from random stores in QLD.

Good to know at least the fella wasnt just giving me a bum steer or too lazy to post components
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Western Australia gun laws