Cat B

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Cat B

Post by LJS » 28 Jul 2022, 11:11 pm

Evening all,

I have some concerns about being granted a licence for multiple firearms in WA. I have recently been on a bit of a shopping spree, putting in an application for .38 rifle a couple of weeks back, and I have since bought a .177, and a .308 - though I haven’t put the licence in yet as one is coming from the eastern states.

I currently hold a licence for a shotgun, but recently are getting more into the sport and wanted to add some rifles to my safe for different shooting requirements. Initially the range, but eventually, pigs, foxes, and vermin.

Now I’ve purchased these I worried that I may have bought too many in a short period of time, and that the may have issue with the .38 and .308 - obviously one if for a greater distance.

Do you foresee any issues here and should for the first application to be approved before submitting the second (and third on the same application)?

Appreciate your time.
LJS
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Cat B

Post by JohnV » 07 Aug 2022, 12:47 pm

As long as you use a different reason for each type of gun it should be ok . Like a .22 is a rabbit rifle reason , a 243 is for medium game reason , varmint shooting reason etc. , a 308 is for larger game reasons . Tailor each reason for each gun so it covers a separate spectrum of hunting . You can also slip in modified excuses like I need a Lever 308 for fast humane follow up shots on pigs that my 308 bolt action is not so suitable for . That's what I do in NSW anyway . WA is like another country in some respects . My Brother lives in Mundaring .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by LJS » 08 Aug 2022, 5:40 pm

Thanks John, I appreciate your response. I actually posted this a week or two back but it’s only just been published. Pretty much did what you suggested anyhow - explained it detail why I need each one, which is the truth anyway so hopefully no issues.

And you are right, WA is out of control with its over compensated laws.
LJS
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 08 Aug 2022, 5:48 pm

Hope you have no problems .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by LJS » 08 Aug 2022, 8:39 pm

JohnV wrote:Hope you have no problems .

Thanks mate.
LJS
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by TigerPigeon » 15 Aug 2022, 5:08 pm

Met a guy at a gun shop that was picking up his second of a particular rifle. Licensing qureied the need for a duplicate and he explained that he would be using a thermal sight for the second rifle as he intended to use it at night. They then requested proof of purchase for the thermal sight, but he hadn't paid for it yet and the application was accepted on those grounds.

The pattern seems to be that they need to ask the question more than keep firearms from being sold. As long as you can provide reasonable explanation, they don't seem to follow up with much scuitiny.
TigerPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by LJS » 23 Aug 2022, 12:21 pm

Approved in 19 days! WA for the win.
LJS
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws