Chances of licensing a 22-250 whilst owning a 223

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Chances of licensing a 22-250 whilst owning a 223

Post by Amityville » 20 Sep 2022, 12:12 pm

Have my eyes on a nice looking Finnish 22-250,
Aim to use 22-250 for lighter bullets out to 400m on rabbits
Problem is, i'm in WA and own a 223.

223 use 55- 69g which is good for anything fox/goat/pig etc from 50-200m.

They are similar calibre so worried ill buy, pay deposit +$260 in fees, then get knocked back, any ideas on best way to apply for it?
Amityville
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Chances of licensing a 22-250 whilst owning a 223

Post by Barbarian » 21 Sep 2022, 12:16 pm

I don't know a bunch about the 22-250 but if you have another similar caliber on your license already, having optics on one and irons on the other with different barrel lengths often convinces WAPOL adequately - The shorter rifle with irons better used in thick brush on faster moving game for faster follow up shots over the Optical sights and longer barrel for longer range work.

However another course of action is to put forward that you will use the other rifle with Night Vision optics. I've had success with both.

If your in the metro area the folks over at Belmont Guns and Ammo (same building as the indoor range) can sort you out.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Boundry Rider » 21 Sep 2022, 3:23 pm

Amityville wrote:Have my eyes on a nice looking Finnish 22-250,
Aim to use 22-250 for lighter bullets out to 400m on rabbits
Problem is, i'm in WA and own a 223.

223 use 55- 69g which is good for anything fox/goat/pig etc from 50-200m.

They are similar calibre so worried ill buy, pay deposit +$260 in fees, then get knocked back, any ideas on best way to apply for it?

When I get home I’ll post up my letter to get a second 17HMR. You should be able to get some useful info from that.

And yes this is where we are at in WAlcatraz, WAPOL did rebut my application for a second rimfire immediately, however was accepted after I responded with an essay.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 21 Sep 2022, 8:08 pm

As discussed earlier, my response to an additional information request on the application which states one firearm having infrared optic sighting system and one normal glass optic sighting system.
1) Why infrared sighting is not removed for daylight use
2) Why infrared sighting is not used for daylight and night shooting

Please note, I wouldn't copy and paste anything these days, if you see info then extrapolate

"To whom it may concern,

In order to address the request for additional information I have received by mail on 30/08/2019, please refer to the following additional information:

For background reference:
• For the purpose of this caliber .17HMR rifle, the accuracy I require is .25-.75 MOA. Normal range is 45-125Yards. Vital target area for humane eradication is 1.0 MOA, this is not only vital for humane eradication but also for continuation of unaltered behavior of targeted species, as targets are often sniped from foraging groups which require accurate hits.
• Myself and my clients expect one shot per culled animal. This is considered best practice. Unnecessary firing and other unnecessary activity during fixed, stationary comprehensive covert advantage or mobile patrols is counterproductive, and educates/alters behavior of targeted species to the task of eradication, which is contrary to best practice.
• Culling/eradication is performed in portions of varying conditions, for example: sunup conditions on mobile patrol, twilight conditions on mobile patrol and sundown conditions on covert mobile patrol; or a combination of all three conditions whilst fixed, stationary and possibly camouflaged to provide comprehensive covert advantage.
• My rifles and optical aiming systems are fit for purpose, of high quality and value, and are bedded and tool fastened. Lesser variations of optical aiming systems and fastening devices will not provide .25-.75 MOA accuracy required and therefore are not best practice nor fit for purpose.
• Mobile patrol exercises are conducted either on foot or from a vehicle position, a fixed stationary position exercise is executed from either a hide, plain sight site or a vehicle position.
• Subjectively, I will describe the ‘additional’ .17HMR rifle as: Rifle B.

Reason for additional firearm in caliber .17HMR:
• One .17HMR rifle fitted with infra-red scope for sundown conditions: Rifle A.
• One .17HMR rifle fitted with conventional scope for sunup conditions: Rifle B.
• Rifle A has a benchrest style stock/frame used with electronic powered digital infra-red and glass magnification optical aiming system. This infra-red aiming system provides the covert advantage of a nil visible lighting base and is most efficient for eradication via either fixed or mobile covert patrols during twilight and sundown conditions. It requires battery power and can be occasioned with 12V powered ancillary devices requiring the attachment of up to three electrical cables. The ergonomic nature of the benchrest style stock/frame limits its capacity to be effectively used in field/carry denomination.
• Rifle B has a field/carry style stock/frame with a mechanical glass magnification optical aiming system. This is a traditional setup and very accurate during sunup conditions, however which requires a spotlight for use during sundown conditions. The ergonomic nature of the field/carry style stock/frame gives it capacity to be effectively used in field/carry and fixed/stationary/vehicle rest mounting denominations.

Why infrared sighting is not removed for daylight use:
• Most commonly night hunting with this caliber is from a fixed camouflaged advantage position or vehicle mounted position, either of which begins in sunup conditions and continues through twilight into sundown conditions. A simple rifle change from Rifle B to Rifle A is best practice for continuity of covert advantage during either (fixed or vehicle) position and does not require tooling of a firearm or resighting of a firearm.
• If optical aiming system components are uninstalled/installed in the field, continuity of .25-.75 MOA accuracy cannot be guaranteed without firing resighting shots at an initialized target, which is not possible from a covert camouflaged advantage point without spoiling the continuity of covert advantage, therefore is not best practice.
• Resighting firearms in the field during covert patrols causes unnecessary firing noise alerting and educates the species to the eradication task, therefore is counterproductive to the efficiency of the eradication purpose.
• To perform tooled modifications to firearms components without a clinical workspace is not a correct process, therefore not best practice in the field during covert patrols.
• It is not time efficient to be uninstalling/installing firearm components and resighting firearms in the field during covert patrols.

Why infrared sighting is not used for daylight and night shooting:
• The quality of the captured digital image is lessened by 15-40% during sunup conditions causing accuracy to deteriorate to +3MOA, therefore not using Rifle A during sunup patrols is best practice when Rifle B is capable of .25-.75 MOA accuracy in sunup conditions.
• The electronic powered digital infra-red aiming system is a one-piece scope consisting of a series of optical glass magnifiers, a camera and screen and again optical glass magnifiers with a hooded bell eyepiece. Extended time spent in close proximity of the magnified screen for the single eye of the operator using the sunup hooded bell (which limits daylight intrusion on the screen) is not ideal and is to be limited to a minimum for eye health reasons. The hood is not required during sundown conditions, therefore not using Rifle A during sunup conditions is best practice.
• The Rifle A infrared scope is bulky and sensitive to both inclement weather and rough dirty field conditions, such rigorous conditions are conducive to the purpose of a conventional riflescope such as fitted to Rifle B.
• The Rifle A benchrest style stock/frame is bulky and ungainly limiting its capacity to be effectively used in field/carry denomination conditions, such conditions are conducive to the rigorous purpose of a Rifle B, which is fitted with a field/carry style stock/frame."
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 21 Sep 2022, 9:03 pm

I think with using so much covert and best practice you got them :crazy:
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Boundry Rider » 21 Sep 2022, 9:24 pm

Lol that was the idea
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 21 Sep 2022, 9:24 pm

animalpest wrote:I think with using so much covert and best practice you got them :crazy:

Its better to just become a pro then you don't have to write such long winded letters.

Need rifle to kill pests for job.
The end.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Barbarian » 22 Sep 2022, 3:14 am

Boundry Rider wrote:As discussed earlier, my response to an additional information request...."

I didn't have to go into quite such a level of detail when going for my second .223 regarding NV optics, but more never hurts.

End of the day we've got to jump through these hoops, Till the Stazi start doing things like the east coast, we'll continue to have to do this.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 22 Sep 2022, 10:57 am

mchughcb wrote:
animalpest wrote:I think with using so much covert and best practice you got them :crazy:

Its better to just become a pro then you don't have to write such long winded letters.

Need rifle to kill pests for job.
The end.

Nope. Just like you I need to justify the firearm
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 23 Sep 2022, 9:27 am

I just fill out form that says reason- hunting.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 23 Sep 2022, 12:28 pm

The OP is applying in WAlcatraz
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland