Post Office Receipt

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Post Office Receipt

Post by StanChen233 » 02 Oct 2022, 2:40 am

Hello all,

Just wondering if the post office receipt is still necessary for the firearm license validity?

I lost my receipt at the very first day that I got it. I went back to the post office where I paid for the application fee a month later, the staff there told me that they are not able to reprint the original receipt. What they gave me is a statement (2 pieces of A4 paper) without any name and ID details on it because of the security reason. It just got date&time, application number and the amount I paid.

Many thanks if anyone can tell me will there be any problem with it?
StanChen233
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Post Office Receipt

Post by niteowl » 02 Oct 2022, 10:09 am

Can't comment on the validity of your papers but I believe it will be OK. Now a little hint, I was advised by the "people" that just writing the details on your licence is good to go, but ?? Due to the fact that they fade quickly I scan them and print it on the back of my licence and would challenge ANYONE in court that the licence is not valid !!!!
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 02 Oct 2022, 11:17 am

On the bottom of your licence is printed "This licence is not valid unless a receipt of payments is attached".

The paperwork from the post office may be ok, but not 100% sure if you don't have the actual receipt.

Check with Firearms Branch
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ob1 » 02 Oct 2022, 3:24 pm

When you do an addition in WA you receive a letter and a new licence, no receipt, no notation that the fee has been paid.
Some Auspost acknowledgement of payment of your annual licence fee is probably all that is required.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by b066y » 08 Nov 2022, 11:16 am

This requirement is the silliest. I wonder if some middle manager or the person creating the template thought it would be hilarious to add that line in. The application doesn't get processed until payment is made anyway. So why is it necessary for us to add a receipt to the licence.

The notion that we need to carry this licence around is also quite antiquated. Our details should all be linked to the firearms ID card and any officer ought to be able to access it via whatever device they own.
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by b066y » 08 Nov 2022, 11:18 am

Do the other states have this requirement?
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 10 Nov 2022, 10:00 am

b066y wrote:Do the other states have this requirement?

Qld has an online portal, pay with credit card etc. After you fill out the PTA application, it redirects you to a external payment portal.

ACT you had to go into the shop front and pay and the receipt was included in you PTA application which you had to do in person at the police station. That was a few years ago, not sure if its changed
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Larry » 10 Nov 2022, 11:03 am

Not in Vic just a plastic license just like your car license.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by b066y » 10 Nov 2022, 12:46 pm

Larry wrote:

Not in Vic just a plastic license just like your car license.

We've got to carry a firearms id card and carry the paper license. You're saying Vic only requires a card?

What is wrong with WA.
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Barbarian » 14 Nov 2022, 8:36 pm

In instances where I've lost or the auspost receipt has been damaged, I just print off a copy of my transaction details as noted in my banking app. Haven't had any grief.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 15 Nov 2022, 8:54 am

If you pay at the post office, it pays to take a copy of the receipt and staple it to your license. The reason being the printing on the receipt fades over time. You are able to pay the renewal online at the WAPOL website. If you do it that way, you can then print the receipt at home. If you add an additional firearm to your license, you should keep the receipt as it has the information you need to track the progress of it on the WAPOL website.

If you have misplaced the receipt, and are unable to provide proof of payment of the renewal, you are likely to have problems making any purchases of ammo etc.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws