WA License Renewal with Conditions Fine Print

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

WA License Renewal with Conditions Fine Print

Post by NorthWester » 18 Nov 2022, 5:00 pm

Hoping for some advice on this one...

I went into a local gun shop the other day and they noticed that I had a condition clause against each firearm which potentially could cause an issue if I was ever inspected whilst out and about with my firearms.

The clause is:

Condition: Other Use as Approved - FOR USE AS APPROVED ONLY

This is repeated below each firearm.

The guy at the shop has said they have noticed this more and more on newer licenses (although I've held mine for over 30 years...) and that I might have an issue with an overzealous cop at the side of the road when trying to justify I have an open license for recreational hunting.

They suggested I contact firearms branch and have them remove the condition. There is nothing further on my license to specified what is "approved".

But before I do, is this a common thing and has it been discussed previously? Is it really likely to become an issue.

Thank you
NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: WA License Renewal with Conditions Fine Print

Post by Boundry Rider » 19 Nov 2022, 11:54 am

This conditions listing has changed a few times over the years.

I've got some old copies of license where there's blanks against my early firearms and differing sets of descriptors against the the later ones on the same license copy. Seems there's a recurring brain fart at the upper levers of jurisdiction.

Doesn't matter, mine are all open rec hunt anyway. They can't change that until the new Firearms Act is written in 2023. Then beware all bets are off.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 19 Nov 2022, 5:33 pm

If your original application had hunting or shooting then that is your approved use.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2022, 6:12 pm

I would think it's a reminder that you can only use a firearm for the specific reasons you were allowed to own it. If you buy a rifle for target shooting you can't take it hunting for example.

NorthWester wrote:Hoping for some advice on this one...

I went into a local gun shop the other day and they noticed that I had a condition clause against each firearm which potentially could cause an issue if I was ever inspected whilst out and about with my firearms.

The clause is:

Condition: Other Use as Approved - FOR USE AS APPROVED ONLY

This is repeated below each firearm.

The guy at the shop has said they have noticed this more and more on newer licenses (although I've held mine for over 30 years...) and that I might have an issue with an overzealous cop at the side of the road when trying to justify I have an open license for recreational hunting.

They suggested I contact firearms branch and have them remove the condition. There is nothing further on my license to specified what is "approved".

But before I do, is this a common thing and has it been discussed previously? Is it really likely to become an issue.

Thank you
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 04 Mar 2023, 12:28 am

The "Approved Use" will be specified on the letter you received from Firearms Branch when the Firearm was added to your licence. As a first step, I'd contact Firearms Branch and ask for copies or clarification as to the "Approved Use" for each affected firearm. I intend to do this myself as some of mine have "No restriction", "Club use only" (self explanatory) or "Approved Use only" which have appeared in recent times.
It may turn out that you don't need to change anything.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 04 Mar 2023, 10:21 am

Diamond Jim wrote:The "Approved Use" will be specified on the letter you received from Firearms Branch when the Firearm was added to your licence. As a first step, I'd contact Firearms Branch and ask for copies or clarification as to the "Approved Use" for each affected firearm. I intend to do this myself as some of mine have "No restriction", "Club use only" (self explanatory) or "Approved Use only" which have appeared in recent times.

You don't get a letter. Just your updated firearms licence. The approved use is what you applied for the firearm to be used for.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 05 Dec 2023, 9:21 pm

animalpest wrote:
Diamond Jim wrote:The "Approved Use" will be specified on the letter you received from Firearms Branch when the Firearm was added to your licence. As a first step, I'd contact Firearms Branch and ask for copies or clarification as to the "Approved Use" for each affected firearm. I intend to do this myself as some of mine have "No restriction", "Club use only" (self explanatory) or "Approved Use only" which have appeared in recent times.

You don't get a letter. Just your updated firearms licence. The approved use is what you applied for the firearm to be used for.

My original FAL was issued in the 1970s and I don't recall if I had a letter back then but when any addition addition has been made in the last 20 years or so I have, in fact, received a letter from WAPOL stating that it is subject to the approved use - e.g. club use only etc.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws