Property Letter for .410 Shotgun

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Property Letter for .410 Shotgun

Post by NorthWester » 20 Dec 2022, 10:38 am

Hi everyone,

My son wants to get into shooting a shotgun, so has asked me to get a .410 single shot for him to use. Although I'd like to get a 12g and use the new mini shots that are equivalent in recoil to the .410 for more versatility...

We have access to a 10ac property nearby Perth, however speaking to the gun shop they believe that whilst 10ac is ok for a property letter if you are the owner, WAPOL typically want 20ac for non-owners.

We will probably only ever shoot it at that property or at one of the indoor gun ranges in Perth, such as Lone Rangers.

I don't want to go down the path of buying a property letter from Ella Vala station etc, as I feel that is just raising a red flag to the police given the current climate. Although the gun shop seems to think it's not an issue.,

I also found a property on gumtree in the Perth hills that advertised hiring the property for half day use, with the possibility of a property letter, but have not been able to find it again. That might have been a safer bet than Ella Vala or similar.

Are there any property owners out there that are receptive to helping someone like us out with a suitable letter for an application. I'm a mature long-time firearms owner (30+ years licensee), SSAA member etc. and was a long time semi pro shooter on a large property in the Pilbara, that due to it being sold off I no longer have access to.

Longer term I will join one of the local clubs and go through the whole club sponsored firearm process if needed, however do not want to be constrained to club shoots only and want to be able to use it for hunting if the opportunity arises. So would rather an open license. Plus the little bloke is impatient and struggling with the whole 6 month wait time via the club method.

If anyone know anyone who could help or could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you
NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Property Letter for .410 Shotgun

Post by ob1 » 20 Dec 2022, 5:23 pm

ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 20 Dec 2022, 8:31 pm

Everytime I go to lone star somebody seems to top themselves that month.

When I got my 0.177 air rifle in WA I had to prove that 7100 acres was enough. Was pretty onerous to be honest. They kept pushing me for 10,000 acres and I said I'm not sure I can get that much land in Fremantle. Eventually they gave in.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 20 Dec 2022, 11:45 pm

Pretty sure Ella Valla has been sold, and no more property letters from there. There is another one in Northampton, north of Geraldton try looking that up.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by NorthWester » 21 Dec 2022, 12:19 pm

ob1 wrote:https://www.westernhunting.com.au/hunting-properties/western-australia/koorda-1

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/york/ot ... 1255259419

Brilliant, thank you.
NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by NorthWester » 21 Dec 2022, 12:20 pm

Boundry Rider wrote:Pretty sure Ella Valla has been sold, and no more property letters from there. There is another one in Northampton, north of Geraldton try looking that up.

Thank you
NorthWester
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws