Obtaining another rifle of the same calibre

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Obtaining another rifle of the same calibre

Post by WAguy » 23 Jan 2023, 3:34 am

First time on here. New to Australia.

Because there are some new types of .223 rifle coming out that are apparently legal in WA, Taipan Light etc. I would like to upgrade from the bolt action I'll be getting once my licence is approved.

How would I go about this? Can I sell my rifle and apply for a new .223? Would I have to justify why I want a different rifle or just justify the calibre and type? And how likely is it that this will be approved?

Also, anyone have an idea about original licence processing time for Cat A and B? 28 days ended mid-January.
WAguy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Obtaining another rifle of the same calibre

Post by Barbarian » 30 Jan 2023, 3:15 am

Obtaining two of the same caliber is generally not an issue.

A longer barreled .223 with a telescopic sight is suitable for longer range shots on game while the second .223 (such as the Taipan or the WT-15) has a shorter barrel and will be fitted with a red dot for stalking in the dense brush where it's shorter overall length and ability for quick follow up shots will be more useful.

Another common genuine need is that you intend to setup one as a dedicated night vision platform.

If you are applying under a club support letter, you'll likely need to justify how the rifle will be configured differently for a different discipline you will be shooting.

After the 28 Day cooling off period, usually within a week you will get a letter with a form on the back requiring you state your intent to proceed and submit the form 22 storage statement.

You can also use the number on your receipt (also on the letter you recieve after the 28 day cooling off period I believe) to look up your application status on the WA police website.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws