Westralia, proving it can always get worse

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Westralia, proving it can always get worse

Post by Lazarus » 14 Feb 2023, 12:04 pm

Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Re: Westralia, proving it can always get worse

Post by pagun » 14 Feb 2023, 12:29 pm

Lazarus wrote:https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/gen-mcgowan-gun-ban-c-9750522

"Oh wow" - Karen
Tikka t3x superlite aspire 308 / pard ds35 70lrf night vision.
Sulun tac-12 12 guage / hawke reflexdot.
CZ455 stainless american 22lr / pard ds35 50lrf night vision.
Hikmicro LE10 Thermal handheld
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2023, 1:12 pm

They need to just admit that they're aiming to build a better North Korea and be done with it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 14 Feb 2023, 1:21 pm

Wish I could say I was speechless but it has been like a communist state for more than 30 years
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 14 Feb 2023, 1:32 pm

Clearly WA have given up on the strategy of taking political advantage of some unfortunate situation to make incremental restrictions, I guess that none ever happening was screwing their plans.

That media article is also pure propaganda that implies every law abiding firearms owner is just waiting for their chance to go on a murderous killing spree so their options need to be limited right now and only police can be trusted with guns.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2023, 1:38 pm

rc42 wrote:Clearly WA have given up on the strategy of taking political advantage of some unfortunate situation to make incremental restrictions, I guess that none ever happening was screwing their plans.

That media article is also pure propaganda that implies every law abiding firearms owner is just waiting for their chance to go on a murderous killing spree so their options need to be limited right now and only police can be trusted with guns.

I was waiting for them to mention that any of the firearms were illegal - did they? They mentioned the suppressor and body armour being illegal, and illegal ammunition, but were any of the firearms illegal? It would be hard to complain about people owning "dangerous" firearms if the Police allowed them to be owned in the first place. And why aren't these firearms "dangerous" in other states, something magical about WA that makes people nuts perhaps?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Toadstool » 14 Feb 2023, 1:50 pm

Not gonna lie. That bunker is bloody awesome!

They must have been all licensed firearms. They said he only got a $3000 fine?? And that's with a suppressor too. What's up with that? Is that just an initial fine and he'll be charged with more. Or is that it? Didn't know body armour was illegal here either. But yeah, they sure are taking away a lot of our gun rights lately.

Is there a correlation for countries with strict gun control and authoritarian government?
Toadstool
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2023, 2:15 pm

Toadstool wrote:Not gonna lie. That bunker is bloody awesome!

They must have been all licensed firearms. They said he only got a $3000 fine?? And that's with a suppressor too. What's up with that? Is that just an initial fine and he'll be charged with more. Or is that it? Didn't know body armour was illegal here either. But yeah, they sure are taking away a lot of our gun rights lately.

Is there a correlation for countries with strict gun control and authoritarian government?

They said all the firearms were destroyed, so that's a very hefty fine in itself.
The council are also upset that he dug a huge hole under his house without a permit, they could try to claim the building is undermined, unsafe and has to come down.

Hard to know with your last question, people living under those regimes seem hesitant to talk honestly and openly about their lives...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ederlezi » 14 Feb 2023, 2:16 pm

The fine is for having built the bunker without the council approval.

Lol. I very much believe that all these firearms were legally owned. It very much scares me. I admit, if the silencer is a real one, then he shouldn't have had it. But for the rest, he seems to have been a law abiding citizen. Very much a scape goat to change the laws. And it is so obvious that it makes me sad. The guy had his firearms legally, then WA say, what a dangerous criminal threatening the society. But, you gave me the right to have these firearms in the first place?
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ederlezi » 14 Feb 2023, 2:20 pm

Do we know what are the "56 different guns and 19 calibres of ammunition." that are going to be banned on the 1st of July?

ALso, “They need to be removed. They’re a threat. You don’t wait until the event happens, you don’t wait until the tragedy occurs to act,” Mr Papalia said.

Very much like minority report....
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2023, 2:23 pm

ederlezi wrote:Do we know what are the "56 different guns and 19 calibres of ammunition." that are going to be banned on the 1st of July?

ALso, “They need to be removed. They’re a threat. You don’t wait until the event happens, you don’t wait until the tragedy occurs to act,” Mr Papalia said.

Very much like minority report....

Yes, I got the email, but haven't had time to look through the list.
He's right though, they can't just wait until a tragedy occurs...since it probably never will.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pagun » 14 Feb 2023, 2:33 pm

First they take WA then the rest of the country..
Tikka t3x superlite aspire 308 / pard ds35 70lrf night vision.
Sulun tac-12 12 guage / hawke reflexdot.
CZ455 stainless american 22lr / pard ds35 50lrf night vision.
Hikmicro LE10 Thermal handheld
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 14 Feb 2023, 3:28 pm

Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 14 Feb 2023, 4:42 pm

Lazarus wrote:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-14/wa-gun-laws-rewrite-after-secret-bunker-pastoralists/101971338

"Unbelievably, the worst offence this individual has allegedly committed is failing to apply to the local council for approval to build the bunker and underground shooting range," Police Minister Paul Papalia said"

I'm confused guys, so he did nothing worse than build something without council approval?

WA is f***ed, I'm just worried you c*** cough and the rest of the joint might catch a cold.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 14 Feb 2023, 4:45 pm

Can any of our Westralian members shed some light on this growing dictatorship?

Is this just McGowan's mob?

Is this bipartisan bumfukkery?

Is there a growing vegan girlyman movement over there?

What the actual fark is driving this?
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2023, 5:19 pm

dnedative wrote:
Lazarus wrote:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-14/wa-gun-laws-rewrite-after-secret-bunker-pastoralists/101971338

"Unbelievably, the worst offence this individual has allegedly committed is failing to apply to the local council for approval to build the bunker and underground shooting range," Police Minister Paul Papalia said"

I'm confused guys, so he did nothing worse than build something without council approval?

WA is f***ed, I'm just worried you c*** cough and the rest of the joint might catch a cold.

So what grounds did they have for destroying all his firearms as stated in the original video...or was that a media lie as well?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Feb 2023, 5:27 pm

I guess Papalia will go to jail for the next for the next stabbing. Because that's what's happening LAFOs are paying for someone else breaking the law.

This is why we all need to get behind:
NSC
SFFP
Shooters Union.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Feb 2023, 5:38 pm

"For everyone to be safe in the city, they need public gun depositories, where you can put your gun in a central base where it is locked tight and secure," Mr Adams said"

That's dangerous talk.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2023, 6:11 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"For everyone to be safe in the city, they need public gun depositories, where you can put your gun in a central base where it is locked tight and secure," Mr Adams said"

That's dangerous talk.

If they want the cities to be safe they need more effective Policing to weed out those with ill intent toward others. Has nothing at all to do with firearm ownership.

I watched a Police dash-cam video last night of Senior Constable Brett Forte, he was killed by a scumbag with a full-auto rifle. Laws like these have _zero_ impact on criminals owning automatic weapons, or any other sort of weapons - they only effect those of us that have no ill intent against anybody else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdKXciVQzU
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 14 Feb 2023, 6:12 pm

Police received a tip off that he had a firearms licence ?
Exemplary detective work.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 14 Feb 2023, 7:35 pm

Whats stopping people from just getting anything on the list re-chambered into something else?
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2023, 7:54 pm

dnedative wrote:Whats stopping people from just getting anything on the list re-chambered into something else?

Maybe the Police will still decline to let you own it "just because".
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pendous » 14 Feb 2023, 8:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:So what grounds did they have for destroying all his firearms as stated in the original video...or was that a media lie as well?

Like most firearm related media, a selection of fiction, a dash of fantasy, a few outright lies and an unwillingness to note the facts.
Pendous
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Pendous » 14 Feb 2023, 8:05 pm

dnedative wrote:Whats stopping people from just getting anything on the list re-chambered into something else?

Here's a list published in an article on sportingshooter.com.au

The banned cartridges are:

.340 Weatherby Magnum
.28 Nosler
.330 Dakota
.338 Lapua
.300 Lapua Magnum
.338-404 Jeffery
.338 Norma Magnum
.338-378 Weatherby Magnum
338 Edge
.30-378 Weatherby Magnum
.300 Norma Magnum
.375 A-Square
.375 Gibbs
.460 Steyr
.375 CheyTac
.416 Barrett
.408 CheyTac
.50 BMG
.55 Boys

If it's 30 calibre or greater in a .378 Weatherby or greater case seems to be their criteria.
28 Nosler?
Pendous
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ederlezi » 14 Feb 2023, 10:07 pm

.50 BMG rifles are starting to be sold on usedguns. Pick up: WA...
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 14 Feb 2023, 11:00 pm

What I can't understand is why anyone would move to/remain in WA....
More and more like the gestapo by the day...
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Faedy » 14 Feb 2023, 11:56 pm

This safe room was actually inspected and approved by the police ages ago.
The footage shown was from.June last year and it was.deemed insignificant then.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lazarus » 15 Feb 2023, 1:32 am

One of the first things I noticed was that they were calling this basement a "bunker".

A basement is a nice innocent sounding room where you store stuff, but a bunker is where Hitler lived, so it must be all evil and scary.
Not to mention, highly emotive clickbait.

From all the furore, one would think they'd found something like this down there.

1676346340861_50.png
1676346340861_50.png (386.83 KiB) Viewed 9771 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 15 Feb 2023, 2:39 am

Like I have said many times, they want it all and will stop at nothing until they get it all.

Plenty of folk seem deluded if they keep giving up stuff they will be left alone.

Ultimately you have to get involved at the government and media level and fight for your rights and freedoms.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by womble » 15 Feb 2023, 3:49 am

Faedy wrote:This safe room was actually inspected and approved by the police ages ago.
The footage shown was from.June last year and it was.deemed insignificant then.

Apparently so and all firearms were granted at police approval. Given what a collection he had in WA he’d have to be squeaky clean. By all public accounts old mate was a well respected citizen and a very likeable bloke who was not at all inclined to mass murder.
You don’t find any boxing coaches who are not community minded and investing their time and energy in the youth of that community to better their lives.
But it seems for whatever reason, somebody took a dislike to him. And had the power to destroy his life and reputation.
The power to giveth and the power to take away. Your lords and masters wapol.
And the police ministers comments seem designed to intimidate and inflict fear. They don’t even need you to commit a crime. They can assert your intentions.
This is a statement to make their position very clear. It dose’nt mater if you are a hard working upstanding citizen of impeccable character. We can destroy you at a whim.
This is how democracies fall into fascism or totalitarian authoritarian. Once you grant this much power to an individual or group you cannot reign it in. They are a power unto themselves. They can destroy any political opposition. They just put them in jail.
Last edited by womble on 15 Feb 2023, 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Western Australia gun laws