What is considered a "range shoot" in WA?

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

What is considered a "range shoot" in WA?

Post by Cbaker » 04 May 2023, 7:52 am

Hi guys,
I'm looking to get into shooting at a range in WA. However I'm not particularly interested in doing any competitions.

I would like to shoot some targets by myself maybe once a month. The club I have been looking at says you need 6 shoots in 6 months before you can get your letter to apply for a licence. Does that mean I need to enter 6 competitions or me practising counts?
Cbaker
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: What is considered a "range shoot" in WA?

Post by animalpest » 04 May 2023, 10:56 am

Will you be using your own or their firearms?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2023, 12:41 pm

Cbaker wrote:Hi guys,
I'm looking to get into shooting at a range in WA. However I'm not particularly interested in doing any competitions.

I would like to shoot some targets by myself maybe once a month. The club I have been looking at says you need 6 shoots in 6 months before you can get your letter to apply for a licence. Does that mean I need to enter 6 competitions or me practising counts?

I'm assuming you are talking handguns as I'm not aware that you need to attend clubs to be able to get a CatA/B licence - is that a thing now in WA to own long guns?
I would think that will likely be down to the policy of the club, discuss with them whether they will your support your application if you haven't done any competitions.
Remember, if you are applying for a target licence you are being given the licence _because_ you wish to compete in competitions, not because you just want to own firearms. Firearms for target can _only_ be used at approved clubs, you can't go hunting with them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cbaker » 04 May 2023, 4:09 pm

animalpest wrote:Will you be using your own or their firearms?

Using there's until I can get purchase my own.
Cbaker
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Cbaker » 04 May 2023, 4:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I'm assuming you are talking handguns as I'm not aware that you need to attend clubs to be able to get a CatA/B licence - is that a thing now in WA to own long guns?
I would think that will likely be down to the policy of the club, discuss with them whether they will your support your application if you haven't done any competitions.
Remember, if you are applying for a target licence you are being given the licence _because_ you wish to compete in competitions, not because you just want to own firearms. Firearms for target can _only_ be used at approved clubs, you can't go hunting with them.

I'm talking a/b and h, I don't have access to any property so I was going to go through the club route to obtain my license.
Cbaker
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2023, 5:29 pm

Cbaker wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I'm talking a/b and h, I don't have access to any property so I was going to go through the club route to obtain my license.

Then you need to talk to your club as they will essentially be sponsoring your licence application.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 05 May 2023, 12:07 am

Cbaker wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Remember you can not use the firearm / s anywhere else if it is obtained for club use.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Cbaker » 05 May 2023, 6:21 pm

I found another range that will let me get my license from just practice shooting or attendance. I work away so it would be difficult for me to attend the require amount of competitions in the time frame set at majority of clubs.

Thanks for the help guys
Cbaker
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2023, 6:23 pm

Cbaker wrote:I found another range that will let me get my license from just practice shooting or attendance. I work away so it would be difficult for me to attend the require amount of competitions in the time frame set at majority of clubs.

Thanks for the help guys

When I was shooting IPSC we had to attend every eight weeks minimum. I was working on remote Aboriginal communities so I had to fly back to Perth or Darwin to do shoots. Clubs back then were able to do time extensions for genuine reasons, I don't know if Police do that now as it's probably easier to comply now.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Western Australia gun laws