Cancelling of WA Property Letters

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: Cancelling of WA Property Letters

Post by Fionn » 09 Jun 2023, 8:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Fionn wrote:Also given that fact that many? people in WA seem to have used property letters for properties they have never hunted on (or been allowed to), their is a very good case that these people should have their firearms seized and licences cancelled as they haven't demonstrated the reason to own the firearms.

One very significant issue is that simply to have Hunting on your licence in WA you require a property letter, even if you only ever intend to hunt in another state. As all Western Australians can freely visit Victoria anytime they wish to and hunt on public land, requiring no permission from anybody, should be sufficient reason that none of them should require property letters.

Actually they can't, its something that in Victoria we turn a bit of a blind eye to.

If you hold a firearm licence interstate you may possess, carry and use a firearm in Victoria for specific activities and purposes, provided that your licence allows you to do the same in your home state or territory.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/mutual-re ... terstate-0
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by geoff » 09 Jun 2023, 9:47 pm

The rational argument here is that WA would be better served adopting a similar licensing protocol as done in the majority of the rest of the country. We are the only ones that persist with this stupid property letter business, yet WA will continually project that they are the ones who have it all figured out and the other states are mad for not doing the same.

There is an absence of rationality on both sides of this debate.

The almost complete disregard for the 2016 law reform commission review of the Act is devoid of rationale.

We are not being overrun with firearms crime in WA - there have been a few notable incidents of late, but there's nothing to suggest that this new version of the Act would have categorically prevented those. The fact is WAPOL administer their current legislation very poorly, they are under resourced and make a lot of decisions on the fly.

All of this big hullabaloo about making the community safer and I haven't seen anything yet about committing to doing away with the big dumb A4 paper licence. That would make the community measurably safer: I have sold two guns in the last month and I've still got a big piece of paper that says, to the unassuming reader, that I can possess them. Worse still, buy ammunition for them. They aren't even particularly concerned about reissuing me a new copy that doesn't have them on there for crying out loud.

It's 2023, where is the rational argument for not having a digital database that dealers can access live, with a tap and go card in my wallet that will bring everything up in an instant?

Animalpest I've got a lot of time for you mate, I work for one of your clients, see the good work you lot do, and I really have a lot of respect for your good quality contributions on here, but why are the general shooting public the only ones required to be rational?

I completely understand a governments desire to put a final number on it. But why is 5 the number, what's the rationality behind that? Why is it not rational to prescribe something along the lines of corporate licences being limited to 5 firearms per nominated person? If 5 per person is the magic number for keeping the community safe, why is a business different?
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 09 Jun 2023, 10:13 pm

Property letters dont take into account the neighbors permissions which can be complete deal breakers and get you into trouble.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jun 2023, 11:54 pm

Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:One very significant issue is that simply to have Hunting on your licence in WA you require a property letter, even if you only ever intend to hunt in another state. As all Western Australians can freely visit Victoria anytime they wish to and hunt on public land, requiring no permission from anybody, should be sufficient reason that none of them should require property letters.

Actually they can't, its something that in Victoria we turn a bit of a blind eye to.

If you hold a firearm licence interstate you may possess, carry and use a firearm in Victoria for specific activities and purposes, provided that your licence allows you to do the same in your home state or territory.

That was my point, to be able to hunt here in Victoria they need to have Hunting on their licence in WA, for which they require a property letter. As long as they are allowed to hunt in WA they can hunt in all states.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Jun 2023, 4:14 am

Fionn wrote:
womble wrote:There’s no rational argument for it.
The implication is that a licensed law abiding citizen who currently owns 5 firearms will become a danger to society when he obtains a 6th is absurd.
It dose’nt even justify a response or counter argument because of it’s absurdity.
There’s no evidence to support it It’s just arbitrary baseless legislation for the sake flexing power over people.
A government bending democracy toward tyranny just because they can. No other reason. There’s no basis is in any of this recent legislation for the greater good.
How does banning rare and obscure calibers instead of commonly accessible ones have any effect in making the community safer.
It dose’nt. There’s no reality in that.
This government is simply exploiting fears and anxieties of their own creation. But they’re not real.

Respectfully Fionn, perhaps you can put forward your reasoning for your support.

I don't support it, but they is very little argument against it as the evidence to support it is pretty simple, its a reasonable and rational decision, given the laws and how firearm ownership works in Western Australia.

A lot of people don't seem to understand how firearm ownership operates in Australia, they seem to incorrectly believe its similar to America, its not, its a very different.

Australian system operates on a permissioning basis, where the government grants individuals permission to own firearms. Consequently, the government has the authority to establish rules and regulations to ensure public safety. The intention behind these regulations is to strike a balance between allowing responsible individuals to engage in legitimate recreational activities such as hunting while minimizing the risks associated with firearm misuse.

A 5 firearm limit for sole reason to use for hunting is reasonable and most people would agree, or more likely still think its too many for purpose of hunting.

Given you can only hunt on properties that have given you permission and in that permission, they have listed the calibers and vermin that can be hunted at the property a 5 firearm limit seems reasonable.

Also given that fact that many? people in WA seem to have used property letters for properties they have never hunted on (or been allowed to), their is a very good case that these people should have their firearms seized and licences cancelled as they haven't demonstrated the reason to own the firearms.

You’re right. Annoyingly. Is what it is. Sucks to be us.
But striking the balance I’m not confident that they really are.
Striking the balance would be Andrews in vic. You get half a duck season to hunt and cook up some yummy ducks.The greens get the other half to walk around cradling their dead ducks. That’s fair right.
I just don’t see the justification for WA to implement such significant changes. And the only justification they bother to put forward is targeting organised crime. Which is insulting.
I don’t see the public outrage crying out for tougher gun laws there. I only see the government and the media manufacturing hysteria. I see a police minister on the news associating state licenced individuals with criminals.
I see their end goal become ever more apparent and complete disregard for liberalism. And though we don’t have rights , that is our foundation.
I don’t see a balance. I see bias.
I do take some consolation in the Spanish mackerel winning their fight it the courts. I suppose that gives me some hope.
But today we bow before our royal majesty state premier in his magnificent glory.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wapiti » 10 Jun 2023, 7:41 am

I think this situation and how it's come about over time is appalling.
Also appalling is that there are firearm owners that seem to agree with this possible change.

A free society, run by true leaders, that are judged by their leadership through performance and results (just as we all are in business and industry, either for our personal success or others) would make criminal use of ANYTHING punishable by very harsh penalties, not come up with excuses, laws for all instead of the cowardly few, and tell others how and what they can own. It's pathetic.
More pathetic is how it got this way and how it was allowed to.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 10 Jun 2023, 10:03 am

I don't support the notion that there be a limit of 5 firearms for hunting. If you have a genuine need and reason then that should be enough.

I just wanted people to come up with rational arguments and you all have :clap:
The comments support the idea that the police argument is flawed
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 10 Jun 2023, 10:06 am

geoff wrote:The rational argument here is that WA would be better served adopting a similar licensing protocol as done in the majority of the rest of the country. We are the only ones that persist with this stupid property letter business, yet WA will continually project that they are the ones who have it all figured out and the other states are mad for not doing the same.

There is an absence of rationality on both sides of this debate.

The almost complete disregard for the 2016 law reform commission review of the Act is devoid of rationale.

We are not being overrun with firearms crime in WA - there have been a few notable incidents of late, but there's nothing to suggest that this new version of the Act would have categorically prevented those. The fact is WAPOL administer their current legislation very poorly, they are under resourced and make a lot of decisions on the fly.

All of this big hullabaloo about making the community safer and I haven't seen anything yet about committing to doing away with the big dumb A4 paper licence. That would make the community measurably safer: I have sold two guns in the last month and I've still got a big piece of paper that says, to the unassuming reader, that I can possess them. Worse still, buy ammunition for them. They aren't even particularly concerned about reissuing me a new copy that doesn't have them on there for crying out loud.

It's 2023, where is the rational argument for not having a digital database that dealers can access live, with a tap and go card in my wallet that will bring everything up in an instant?

Animalpest I've got a lot of time for you mate, I work for one of your clients, see the good work you lot do, and I really have a lot of respect for your good quality contributions on here, but why are the general shooting public the only ones required to be rational?

I completely understand a governments desire to put a final number on it. But why is 5 the number, what's the rationality behind that? Why is it not rational to prescribe something along the lines of corporate licences being limited to 5 firearms per nominated person? If 5 per person is the magic number for keeping the community safe, why is a business different?

Well said. A good solid argument
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by geoff » 10 Jun 2023, 11:19 am

I would much more readily accept that licensed firearm owners are recklessly endangering the community if WAPOL were backing that up with a skerrick of data.

The high profile incident at the Perth school recently was shocking for everyone and does a good job of making their case for them, but in all reality it is an outlier. They simply don't and can't do enough safe inspections to warrant making the claim that licensees are poorly storing their firearms. I want lots of safe inspections, because it will weed out irresponsible folk who shouldn't have guns but largely demonstrate that most of us are very good.

I would fully support extra funding for WAPOL licensing branch. Spend the money please. As a shooter I want them to be a modern, well equipped and efficient department. If people aren't fit for their firearms, I want those applications reviewed and denied in a timely manner so that those firearms can be either sold to someone else or shipped elsewhere instead of being stored as a loot cache at dealers, such as we saw at Claremonts et al. Sad. But that was made worse by the sheer volume of stock that dealers hold in application purgatory.

Maybe there is a lot of reform on the cards for our regulator.....but they're certainly not making it sound like it. I get the impression that all of these onerous requirements like mental health assessments and property letter refreshment are going to be expected to be filled by the current FTE load in Cannington? Madness

If I was a cynic I might suggest that this administrative clusterfuck is intentional.

Anyway I've got an additional in processing at the moment and if they think about it for half a second my post history will probably identify me so I should go easier. It's not about the people there it's about the system they are forced to work in. Hello anyone from licensing branch reading this (I'm sure someone does) - I'm actually on your side. It can't be fun working there at the moment.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 10 Jun 2023, 2:01 pm

geoff wrote:I would much more readily accept that licensed firearm owners are recklessly endangering the community if WAPOL were backing that up with a skerrick of data.

The high profile incident at the Perth school recently was shocking for everyone and does a good job of making their case for them, but in all reality it is an outlier. They simply don't and can't do enough safe inspections to warrant making the claim that licensees are poorly storing their firearms. I want lots of safe inspections, because it will weed out irresponsible folk who shouldn't have guns but largely demonstrate that most of us are very good.

I would fully support extra funding for WAPOL licensing branch. Spend the money please. As a shooter I want them to be a modern, well equipped and efficient department. If people aren't fit for their firearms, I want those applications reviewed and denied in a timely manner so that those firearms can be either sold to someone else or shipped elsewhere instead of being stored as a loot cache at dealers, such as we saw at Claremonts et al. Sad. But that was made worse by the sheer volume of stock that dealers hold in application purgatory.

Maybe there is a lot of reform on the cards for our regulator.....but they're certainly not making it sound like it. I get the impression that all of these onerous requirements like mental health assessments and property letter refreshment are going to be expected to be filled by the current FTE load in Cannington? Madness

If I was a cynic I might suggest that this administrative clusterfuck is intentional.

Anyway I've got an additional in processing at the moment and if they think about it for half a second my post history will probably identify me so I should go easier. It's not about the people there it's about the system they are forced to work in. Hello anyone from licensing branch reading this (I'm sure someone does) - I'm actually on your side. It can't be fun working there at the moment.

My mate called from WA yesterday. Said the kid fired the shots, called 000 and put the rifles back and sat down waiting for arrest.
Is this true?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by geoff » 10 Jun 2023, 2:33 pm

mchughcb wrote:
geoff wrote:I would much more readily accept that licensed firearm owners are recklessly endangering the community if WAPOL were backing that up with a skerrick of data.

My mate called from WA yesterday. Said the kid fired the shots, called 000 and put the rifles back and sat down waiting for arrest.
Is this true?

A random poster on an internet forum seems like a strange place to try and source info. It's one of the most publicised incidents in recent memory? I would suggest that your mate is probably just reading what has been published in the news media. Just like you and I could.

Anyone privvy to any particularly private details of such a high profile case wouldn't be chucking them around to mates willy nilly

I live 600km from Perth. What would I know?
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Fionn » 10 Jun 2023, 3:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:One very significant issue is that simply to have Hunting on your licence in WA you require a property letter, even if you only ever intend to hunt in another state. As all Western Australians can freely visit Victoria anytime they wish to and hunt on public land, requiring no permission from anybody, should be sufficient reason that none of them should require property letters.

That was my point, to be able to hunt here in Victoria they need to have Hunting on their licence in WA, for which they require a property letter. As long as they are allowed to hunt in WA they can hunt in all states.

Yeah I got your point, but you missed mine.

WA licence holders are not permitted by their licence to hunt on public land if thy used property letters as the reason for the licence, thus they are not permitted to do so in Victoria as their home state licence doesn't allow it.

Its a technically, that we in Victoria turn a blind eye to.

BTW and I could be wrong, but I don't think WA licences even have hunting as a category on the licence anyway.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jun 2023, 3:33 pm

Fionn wrote:Yeah I got your point, but you missed mine.

WA licence holders are not permitted by their licence to hunt on public land if thy used property letters as the reason for the licence, thus they are not permitted to do so in Victoria as their home state licence doesn't allow it.

Its a technically, that we in Victoria turn a blind eye to.

BTW and I could be wrong, but I don't think WA licences even have hunting as a category on the licence anyway.

I get you now, but other states (even some countries) don't allow hunting on public land either, and I know that Queenslanders hunt in NSW with R-Licences. I don't think the WA licence specifically prohibits hunting on public land, they just don't have any open to hunting.

Coincidentally, a guy on FB posted a pic of his WA licence a couple days ago - "Recreational/Hunt/Shoot".
Attachments
WA Licence Genuine Reasons.jpg
WA Licence Genuine Reasons.jpg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 17157 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 10 Jun 2023, 4:08 pm

Yep, my (personal) firearms say the same.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jun 2023, 7:49 pm

animalpest wrote:Yep, my (personal) firearms say the same.

And are you aware of any prohibition on hunting interstate on public land?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 10 Jun 2023, 8:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:

No. It is obvious from the licence condition that there is no additional condition limiting what type of land hunting can occur on. It's hunting.

So long as you didn't stipulate on your application that you were going to hunt on particular type of land then you are fine (eg hunting on farms)
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jun 2023, 9:56 pm

animalpest wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

No. It is obvious from the licence condition that there is no additional condition limiting what type of land hunting can occur on. It's hunting.

So long as you didn't stipulate on your application that you were going to hunt on particular type of land then you are fine (eg hunting on farms)

Yes, that's my take on it as well. As it doesn't prohibit you from hunting on public you can hunt on public in any state that allows it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 12 Jun 2023, 4:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
animalpest wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yes, that's my take on it as well. As it doesn't prohibit you from hunting on public you can hunt on public in any state that allows it.

I understand where you are coming from, the grey area I talk about is that a WA licence for recreational/hunt/shoot does not allow you to hunt on public land in WA.

Where as a Victorian licence does allow you to hunt on public land in Victoria.

Read that with the wording of
provided that your licence allows you to do the same in your home state or territory.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jun 2023, 5:09 pm

Fionn wrote:I understand where you are coming from, the grey area I talk about is that a WA licence for recreational/hunt/shoot does not allow you to hunt on public land in WA.

provided that your licence allows you to do the same in your home state or territory.

Unless the WA licence specifically prohibits you from hunting on public land, which I don't believe it does, then you can indeed hunt on public land, if for example they opened up a parcel tomorrow for hunting.

Not being able to hunt public land because there isn't any is a different matter.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 12 Jun 2023, 10:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Fionn wrote:I understand where you are coming from, the grey area I talk about is that a WA licence for recreational/hunt/shoot does not allow you to hunt on public land in WA.

Unless the WA licence specifically prohibits you from hunting on public land, which I don't believe it does, then you can indeed hunt on public land, if for example they opened up a parcel tomorrow for hunting.

Not being able to hunt public land because there isn't any is a different matter.

Im not a lawyer (but that hey that never stops us), though i don't think that interpretation is consistent with the legislation.

When making an extraordinary claim, the burden of proof lies with the claimant.

You should cite the Act here and explain how your position marries up with it. When you're issued a licence under a piece of legislation, it is for a reason. It is not for "you didn't tell me I couldn't". The WA firearms act makes it very clear where someone with a recreational licence can shoot.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by womble » 13 Jun 2023, 3:57 am

Also not a lawyer I would chyme in, it’s not illegal until it is.
Does the public land itself allow hunting.
The licence states recreational/hunt.
I also don’t think you will be arrested by wapol in nsw or vic. Plus you can hold more specific requirements in those states. R licence, game licence, that other one what’s it called from DELP for pest animals vermin on crown land.
Tbh it’s kinda awful that people travelling from wa to hunt in other states have that mental barrier stopping them because they live under an oppressive regime.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 13 Jun 2023, 12:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Licences don't prohibit you from anything, they are permissioning in that they give you permission. A WA licence doesn't give you permission to hunt on public land in WA, a Victorian Licence does give you permission to hunt on public land in Victoria.(assuming its allowed on that land)
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Jun 2023, 12:49 pm

It gives you permission to hunt unspecific.
You are allowed to hunt on public land in Victoria with an interstate licence you hold for hunting.
If you only hold the licence for target shooting you might be s**t out of luck. But who does that.
I win the internet
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2023, 2:03 pm

womble wrote:...that other one what’s it called from DELP for pest animals vermin on crown land.

That one is not a licence or permit of any kind, it is merely a supporting note that you are interested enough in hunting that you paid $20 or so for it to support your genuine reason when applying for a licence. You never have to renew it but you would need to buy another one when renewing your licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Jun 2023, 4:34 pm

True. Plus wouldn’t you still need a vic game licence to hunt deer on public land in vic. So i don’t know how that works for interstate license.

Then theres this
“Hunting
An interstate person who holds a category A or B firearm licence for the purpose of hunting can hunt in Victoria either on crown land in accordance with relevant law or on private property where permission to hunt has been obtained from the owner/occupier of the land.”
https://www.police.vic.gov.au/mutual-recognition-firearms-licences-interstate-0
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 13 Jun 2023, 5:43 pm

womble wrote:It gives you permission to hunt unspecific.

No it gives you permission to hunt on private property where you have been given permission.

womble wrote:You are allowed to hunt on public land in Victoria with an interstate licence you hold for hunting.
If you only hold the licence for target shooting you might be s**t out of luck. But who does that.

Its a bit like property letters in Victoria, if you lose permission you lose your licence. Again not really enforced unless needed.

womble wrote:I win the internet

Here you go

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 13 Jun 2023, 5:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:
womble wrote:...that other one what’s it called from DELP for pest animals vermin on crown land.

That one is not a licence or permit of any kind, it is merely a supporting note that you are interested enough in hunting that you paid $20 or so for it to support your genuine reason when applying for a licence. You never have to renew it but you would need to buy another one when renewing your licence.

Don't need another one unless you have misplaced the one you have.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2023, 6:06 pm

Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

That's interesting, a document with no expiry date :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 13 Jun 2023, 6:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

That's interesting, a document with no expiry date :-)

Yes and frankly the best to use for genuine reason for that very reason.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Jun 2023, 6:30 pm

It’s a tricky one. I just don’t see WA hunting laws being relevant in other states. Whereas the licence is accepted you’d have to abide by local laws.
But I am pleased with my prize. I worked hard for it
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia gun laws