Channel Nine's story about the new laws

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Channel Nine's story about the new laws

Post by bladeracer » 28 Sep 2023, 3:21 pm

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Channel Nine's story about the new laws

Post by womble » 28 Sep 2023, 4:19 pm

Oh yeah these new laws would have totally prevented those 3 murders.

What’s the whistleblower relevance ??
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 28 Sep 2023, 4:27 pm

Oh yeah now I get it.
If someone intends to go on a murder suicide rampage, a whistleblower law would be be a totally successful deterrent.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Sep 2023, 5:45 pm

womble wrote:Oh yeah now I get it.
If someone intends to go on a murder suicide rampage, a whistleblower law would be be a totally successful deterrent.

I shouldnt, but.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 29 Sep 2023, 4:23 am

Politicians and ministers looking for political brownie points with a ignorant general public is the driving factor behind these new laws. It won’t be too many years before these laws creep to eastern states. Another series of tragic events will see politicians championing WA’s draconian laws as being better public safety. Some of the “which five guns” hunting battery posts on the forum may have more serious relevance in coming years
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Sep 2023, 9:54 am

I don’t normally get involved in the political side of gun laws but this morning when I’m thinking about it. If pollies are under pressure from the public to improve public safety and if pollies are involved in making new laws , but remembering that outlaws don’t follow laws so that’s a waste of time . Perhaps regular amnesties to get guns off the street to lessen the chances of them falling into unstable hands ? Greater punishment for unregistered guns , advertising campaign offering a 50 dollar reward for dobbing in owners of unregistered guns resulting in a conviction ? I don’t know ? Just thinking out loud. It would be nice to see some new laws targeting the real problem individuals.. perhaps a re hash of the computer systems that link gun owners to violent crimes , or to drug activity , useing technology to catch people out , making sure less people slip thru the loop. That’s it for the moment. Someone else bound to come up with some possibilities
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 29 Sep 2023, 10:47 am

Crims will always get guns if they want them. Criminals aren’t known for following laws, It’s only licensed gun owners that adhere to the law. The politicians and media seem to overlook that fact
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Sep 2023, 11:55 am

Blr243 wrote:I don’t normally get involved in the political side of gun laws but this morning when I’m thinking about it. If pollies are under pressure from the public to improve public safety and if pollies are involved in making new laws , but remembering that outlaws don’t follow laws so that’s a waste of time . Perhaps regular amnesties to get guns off the street to lessen the chances of them falling into unstable hands ? Greater punishment for unregistered guns , advertising campaign offering a 50 dollar reward for dobbing in owners of unregistered guns resulting in a conviction ? I don’t know ? Just thinking out loud. It would be nice to see some new laws targeting the real problem individuals.. perhaps a re hash of the computer systems that link gun owners to violent crimes , or to drug activity , useing technology to catch people out , making sure less people slip thru the loop. That’s it for the moment. Someone else bound to come up with some possibilities

A mandatory twenty years inside for using a firearm to commit a criminal act would be a bloody good start at dissuading the common thug from carrying a firearm that he might then convince himself he has to use.

I could see a reward for dobbing in firearm owners being abused by the antis to have Police continually hassling licenced owners as well. I can't make myself believe unregistered firearms are a public safety issue, it's not that long ago that none of them were registered. It would make more sense to get rid of registration again.

The fact is they keep parroting "public safety" but it's been clear for decades that public safety has nothing to do with the laws that get pushed. We've had decades of more and more strict laws and we still have firearm violence, I would say a lot more firearm violence than I remember hearing about 45 years ago. The antis and media like to go on about "mass shootings", but the reality is more people are killed in non-mass-shootings, and even more in homicides with things other than firearms. If it were truly about public safety it would be aimed in very different directions than it is.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dess787 » 30 Sep 2023, 8:15 am

Hundreds and hundreds more die on the roads, let's ban cars or limit cars to 80kph.

Kids die in swimming pools, let's ban swimming pools

Alcohol, man how many deaths are directly or indirectly caused by alcohol ? Let's ban alcohol

So many double standards

The problem is if you ask 1000 people on the street, 990 would be in favour of banning guns completely but laws shouldn't be made just on majority opinions, all cohorts of people, however small deserve a fair go.

Otherwise i fear for some of the laws the majority would be in favour of against minority groups like muslims etc
Dess787
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Jackaroo » 30 Sep 2023, 3:03 pm

I regularly shoot with five guys in their 80's competing in Single Action and they can sometimes whip my arse and many others 20 years their junior. How bloody OUTRAGEOUS to make it mandatory that when someone reaches 80 years of age their guns are confiscated by the Govt and their licence cancelled......what is Australia suddenly worse than Nth Korea???????????
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dess787 » 30 Sep 2023, 3:56 pm

I thought it was when your 80 you need to check a medical check ?
Dess787
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by womble » 01 Oct 2023, 7:27 am

bladeracer wrote:
Blr243 wrote:I don’t normally get involved in the political side of gun laws but this morning when I’m thinking about it. If pollies are under pressure from the public to improve public safety and if pollies are involved in making new laws , but remembering that outlaws don’t follow laws so that’s a waste of time . Perhaps regular amnesties to get guns off the street to lessen the chances of them falling into unstable hands ? Greater punishment for unregistered guns , advertising campaign offering a 50 dollar reward for dobbing in owners of unregistered guns resulting in a conviction ? I don’t know ? Just thinking out loud. It would be nice to see some new laws targeting the real problem individuals.. perhaps a re hash of the computer systems that link gun owners to violent crimes , or to drug activity , useing technology to catch people out , making sure less people slip thru the loop. That’s it for the moment. Someone else bound to come up with some possibilities

A mandatory twenty years inside for using a firearm to commit a criminal act would be a bloody good start at dissuading the common thug from carrying a firearm that he might then convince himself he has to use.

I could see a reward for dobbing in firearm owners being abused by the antis to have Police continually hassling licenced owners as well. I can't make myself believe unregistered firearms are a public safety issue, it's not that long ago that none of them were registered. It would make more sense to get rid of registration again.

The fact is they keep parroting "public safety" but it's been clear for decades that public safety has nothing to do with the laws that get pushed. We've had decades of more and more strict laws and we still have firearm violence, I would say a lot more firearm violence than I remember hearing about 45 years ago. The antis and media like to go on about "mass shootings", but the reality is more people are killed in non-mass-shootings, and even more in homicides with things other than firearms. If it were truly about public safety it would be aimed in very different directions than it is.

The problem with the 20 year sentence is he’s gong to kill the witness, because he’s doing the time either way.
I used to think the same, harsher penalties. But they don’t work.
The only thing that can work is to stop them in the moment. And that will mean lethal force. That’s what works for the police and that’s why they utilise it.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2023, 8:51 am

womble wrote:The problem with the 20 year sentence is he’s gong to kill the witness, because he’s doing the time either way.
I used to think the same, harsher penalties. But they don’t work.
The only thing that can work is to stop them in the moment. And that will mean lethal force. That’s what works for the police and that’s why they utilise it.

Yes, being able to stop the threat yourself is the ideal, but our government would have a fit if we were able to defend ourselves and not have to rely on them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 01 Oct 2023, 10:09 am

Homicides in Australia are on the increase, 377 last year. Mostly at residential addresses. Sexual assaults increasing also. Armed home invasions of the charts.
We pay a high price sadly.
Nevertheless, any effective self defence is not an option for us. Only for the police.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Clem » 06 Oct 2023, 7:31 pm

Channel nine is government aligned media, they have that in China too.
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by womble » 07 Oct 2023, 1:18 am

I don’t know what drugs you’re on but I want some.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Oct 2023, 8:07 am

W.A. members should read this. Perhaps something can be done if shooters get off their arses.

https://politicsreloaded.com/2023/10/06 ... -gun-laws/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Western Australia gun laws