WA Firearm Law Reforms - Monday 16 October announcement

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: WA Firearm Law Reforms - Monday 16 October announcement

Post by Bazz » 21 Feb 2024, 4:08 pm

Bazz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by alexjones » 21 Feb 2024, 4:26 pm

so page 25 says 5 guns for hunting licence and 10 for competition licence.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gunderson » 21 Feb 2024, 4:32 pm

alexjones wrote:so page 25 says 5 guns for hunting licence and 10 for competition licence.

so for most people I know that would mean handing in at least 4 to 5 guns... wonderful
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by alexjones » 21 Feb 2024, 4:37 pm

gunderson wrote:
alexjones wrote:so page 25 says 5 guns for hunting licence and 10 for competition licence.

so for most people I know that would mean handing in at least 4 to 5 guns... wonderful

I flicked through a lot of the pages and there is a lot of reference to "refer to the prescribed regulation". So we will have to wait and see what the regulation says but yes pretty much for the average shooter having 5 to 10 guns is terrible. Will be a lot of guns getting sent to east coast dealers I would assume.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bazz » 21 Feb 2024, 5:12 pm

Section 39: Hunting permission:

The regulations may provide for the following in connection with hunting permissions —
(a) the period for which a hunting permission remains in force (unless sooner revoked);
(b) requiring a person who gives hunting permission for land to notify the Commissioner if the person ceases to be an authorised person for the land;
(c) the lapsing of a hunting permission in the event that the person who gave the permission ceases to be an authorised person for the land;
(d) the obligations of the licensee under a Hunting Licence in the event that a hunting permission for the licensee to engage in hunting on land expires, lapses or is revoked;
(e) the renewal of a hunting permission.

So the regulations don't cover the amount of people a property can support

Section 40 states the below:

Suitability of land for hunting using firearm. Land is suitable for hunting using a firearm under a Hunting Licence only if the Commissioner is satisfied as to its suitability for that purpose, having regard to the following:

(d) the number of hunting permissions in force for hunting on the land at a particular time;

Then does not elaborate on what this magical number of permissions will be.

So if it's not going to be covered by the regulations and it's not specified by the bill, I wonder where the hell we're supposed to get guidance on how many hunters are allowed to be granted permission by a land owner?
Bazz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2024, 5:15 pm

Bazz wrote:Section 39: Hunting permission:

The regulations may provide for the following in connection with hunting permissions —
(a) the period for which a hunting permission remains in force (unless sooner revoked);
(b) requiring a person who gives hunting permission for land to notify the Commissioner if the person ceases to be an authorised person for the land;
(c) the lapsing of a hunting permission in the event that the person who gave the permission ceases to be an authorised person for the land;
(d) the obligations of the licensee under a Hunting Licence in the event that a hunting permission for the licensee to engage in hunting on land expires, lapses or is revoked;
(e) the renewal of a hunting permission.

So the regulations don't cover the amount of people a property can support

Section 40 states the below:

Suitability of land for hunting using firearm. Land is suitable for hunting using a firearm under a Hunting Licence only if the Commissioner is satisfied as to its suitability for that purpose, having regard to the following:

(d) the number of hunting permissions in force for hunting on the land at a particular time;

Then does not elaborate on what this magical number of permissions will be.

So if it's not going to be covered by the regulations and it's not specified by the bill, I wonder where the hell we're supposed to get guidance on how many hunters are allowed to be granted permission by a land owner?

Don't Police want the right of allowing anybody to hunt on your property though so it is no longer up to the landowner? In which case it will be entirely up to them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Feb 2024, 5:30 pm

It's going to ba a bonanza for clubs.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Dess787 » 21 Feb 2024, 7:03 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:It's going to ba a bonanza for clubs.

Most clubs don't want or can handle a flood of members, most will close their doors.
Dess787
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by gunderson » 21 Feb 2024, 7:03 pm

Dess787 wrote:

Most clubs don't want or can handle a flood of members, most will close their doors.

Last I read many had already.
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Dess787 » 21 Feb 2024, 8:50 pm

gunderson wrote:
Dess787 wrote:

Yeah for sure. Most clubs are not commercial entities, they are non profit. Who wants another 30,40,50 members taking away limited and valuable range time from long time members
Dess787
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2024, 10:30 am

Unbelievable. Don't know if this info has been available in the past.

https://sportingshooter.com.au/gun-law/ ... ck-prices/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 22 Feb 2024, 1:41 pm

Watching the idiot box this morning in Perth and they are advertising about the new laws with a cut out of papalia with a cardboard jaw going up and down saying get another hobby.

It won't change anything but they sure are taking the piss out him. Infact I'd say it's comedy gold during prime time TV.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 22 Feb 2024, 1:45 pm

alexjones wrote:
gunderson wrote:

I flicked through a lot of the pages and there is a lot of reference to "refer to the prescribed regulation". So we will have to wait and see what the regulation says but yes pretty much for the average shooter having 5 to 10 guns is terrible. Will be a lot of guns getting sent to east coast dealers I would assume.

The last buyback of the bigger cals was to send them to Ukraine until the ADF said no. Shows you how retarded they are in WA. 338 lap means noting against a 155mm artillery shell and the Russians are firing tens of thousands per day.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Feb 2024, 5:20 pm

Dess787 wrote:
gunderson wrote:
Dess787 wrote:

Yeah for sure. Most clubs are not commercial entities, they are non profit. Who wants another 30,40,50 members taking away limited and valuable range time from long time members

What a problem to have "we can't cope with the increasing demand... let's close our doors" :lol:

That's what happens when hobbyists run clubs without a scrap of business brains amongst the club boards brain trust.
What a massive missed opportunity for them, however I'm sure new clubs will spring up to take their spots and make the most of the increasing demand.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2024, 6:01 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:What a problem to have "we can't cope with the increasing demand... let's close our doors" :lol:

That's what happens when hobbyists run clubs without a scrap of business brains amongst the club boards brain trust.
What a massive missed opportunity for them, however I'm sure new clubs will spring up to take their spots and make the most of the increasing demand.

I don't imagine too many people are lining up to invest time and money into clubs that can be wiped out overnight by the government like this. Same reason nobody wants to invest in primer manufacture here, you'd be mad to.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Feb 2024, 7:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:I don't imagine too many people are lining up to invest time and money into clubs that can be wiped out overnight by the government like this. Same reason nobody wants to invest in primer manufacture here, you'd be mad to.

We've had people invest heavily in SA recently, one new range and another two in the making that I know of, compare SA's economy to WA's ... there's bound to be a few firearms enthusiasts with deep pockets, large acreage ready to give it a go out west.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Dess787 » 22 Feb 2024, 8:28 pm

I would love to see more clubs and shooting ranges open in WA. with the current state of affairs, it would be unlikely
The hoops WAPOL will make you jump through to open a new club or range would be a stopper for most.
Dess787
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by alexjones » 23 Feb 2024, 6:22 am

The problem with new ranges is the amount of red tape. It is not like you can just have one running within a month. They can take years for approval.

I would take so called hobbyists over businessman running a gun club any day. Because the hobbyist is more likely to be a patriot. This is the reason SSAA are so gay, because they are only in it for the money and not for giving people their freedoms back.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Feb 2024, 10:15 am

That's where the SSAA still actually do something.
https://www.ssaawa.org.au/faq/i-have-a- ... we-do-this
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by alexjones » 23 Feb 2024, 1:58 pm

Home made guns found in Perth. Funny how these articles come out when ever the new laws are mentioned. Like that "underground bunker" last year and the "raid" on the gunshop.

"Police urged people to proactively contact them and arrange for the safe destruction of any firearms they may have manufactured."

So a criminal goes out and illegally makes guns but because the police urge him to hand them in he will out of the goodness of his heart hand them in. Gosh the police and politicians are delusional!

https://www.9news.com.au/national/3d-pr ... 37e0552673
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2024, 4:12 pm

alexjones wrote:Home made guns found in Perth. Funny how these articles come out when ever the new laws are mentioned. Like that "underground bunker" last year and the "raid" on the gunshop.

"Police urged people to proactively contact them and arrange for the safe destruction of any firearms they may have manufactured."

So a criminal goes out and illegally makes guns but because the police urge him to hand them in he will out of the goodness of his heart hand them in. Gosh the police and politicians are delusional!

WA Police.

"Next month when these new laws are passed all the criminals will hand in all of their illegal firearms"

Bong.jpg
Bong.jpg (118.7 KiB) Viewed 13352 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 23 Feb 2024, 4:18 pm

Dropped into a WA gun store to buy some ADI brass. Was given the big sermon I needed to go to a police station and get a temporary permit to buy the brass. I said yeah nah mate. And left.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2024, 4:37 pm

mchughcb wrote:Dropped into a WA gun store to buy some ADI brass. Was given the big sermon I needed to go to a police station and get a temporary permit to buy the brass. I said yeah nah mate. And left.

FMD

Q. How retarded is that?

A. Very.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 23 Feb 2024, 4:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
alexjones wrote:Home made guns found in Perth. Funny how these articles come out when ever the new laws are mentioned. Like that "underground bunker" last year and the "raid" on the gunshop.

WA Police.

"Next month when these new laws are passed all the criminals will hand in all of their illegal firearms"

Bong.jpg

Hahaha mate exactly. If only they knew that the only way to stop crime is to make it illegal. Criminals always follow the law right?
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2024, 7:39 pm

mchughcb wrote:Dropped into a WA gun store to buy some ADI brass. Was given the big sermon I needed to go to a police station and get a temporary permit to buy the brass. I said yeah nah mate. And left.

Brass does not require a permit in WA. They clarified it just a couple years ago because so many people believed it was restricted, including myself.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 23 Feb 2024, 10:07 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Brass does not require a permit in WA. They clarified it just a couple years ago because so many people believed it was restricted, including myself.

I had a sermon at Claremont firearms and all three of them behind the counter chimed in. To be honest I can buy cheaper in Vic but was trying to throw them some business. Their loss, Victoria's gain.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 24 Feb 2024, 5:18 pm

mchughcb wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I had a sermon at Claremont firearms and all three of them behind the counter chimed in. To be honest I can buy cheaper in Vic but was trying to throw them some business. Their loss, Victoria's gain.

What did they give as an excuse to not supply the brass?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 25 Feb 2024, 8:50 am

No valid WA licence. Needed a WA permit.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 25 Feb 2024, 9:29 am

mchughcb wrote:No valid WA licence. Needed a WA permit.

Yes WA does not recognise non WA firearm licences. If you have a licence outside of WA you need a temporary permit.

I drove my car over there on a QLD licence and it was legal so why should a gun be any different? WA really is the worst state in the Commonwealth.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2024, 9:40 am

alexjones wrote:
mchughcb wrote:No valid WA licence. Needed a WA permit.

Yes WA does not recognise non WA firearm licences. If you have a licence outside of WA you need a temporary permit.

I drove my car over there on a QLD licence and it was legal so why should a gun be any different? WA really is the worst state in the Commonwealth.

WA does recognise other licences, they don't recognise other registrations (they don't really have registration, they issue an additional firearm licence for each firearm, with it's own conditions applying only to that firearm), and to buy or possess ammunition you require a licence for a firearm specifically in that chambering. But you don't need any licence at all to buy or possess empty brass.

Yep, worst place to be if you exhibit any interest in firearms.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia gun laws