WA Firearm Law Reforms - Monday 16 October announcement

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: WA Firearm Law Reforms - Monday 16 October announcement

Post by Dess787 » 26 Feb 2024, 1:16 pm

Interesting the story about an intruder (naked one) being shot when breaking into a home, a home with kids has been covered by WAtoday and Perthnow but now theWest
Dess787
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Dbk » 26 Feb 2024, 1:31 pm

in our perverted justice system, the man who shot the would be child rapist would be charged with a crime and/or have his licence revoked.
Dbk
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 26 Feb 2024, 2:18 pm

Why was he naked?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by gunderson » 26 Feb 2024, 2:44 pm

sounds messed up
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by alexjones » 26 Feb 2024, 4:03 pm

mchughcb wrote:Why was he naked?

I believe the correct terminology is "attire challenged". We need to be inclusive.....

I am sure we all remember the home defence shooting in the NT a few years ago. He lost the case not because he shot and killed the man but how he shot and killed him. The bloke was inside the house then left down the driveway and old mate fired his 308 into the dark down his driveway at a noise he heard so he was deemed not to be in immediate danger.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-11/ ... /101521834

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/nor ... /fbe9turpu
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Toadstool » 28 Feb 2024, 6:22 pm

Has the new firearms act come in yet? I'm reading the current FIREARMS ACT 1973

Section 11 (3)

The Commissioner has a sufficient ground for forming an opinion that a person is not a fit and proper person to hold an approval, permit or licence under this Act if the Commissioner —

(a) is satisfied that at any time within the period of 5 years before the person applies for the approval, permit or licence —

(i) the person was convicted of an offence involving assault with a weapon; or

(ii) the person was convicted of an offence involving violence; or

(iii) the person was convicted of any offence against this Act; or

(iv) a violence restraining order was made against the person,

If police are refusing to return firearms on a VRO thats ending and quote Section 11 3a iv as a reason not to return, isn't that not valid?

Part (a) states: is satisfied that at any time within the period of 5 years before the person applies for the approval, permit or licence —

So this reason should only acceptable if a person had a VRO BEFORE getting their license correct? Not a VRO years after?
Toadstool
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Bazz » 29 Feb 2024, 10:46 am

Toadstool wrote:Has the new firearms act come in yet? I'm reading the current FIREARMS ACT 1973

Section 11 (3)

The Commissioner has a sufficient ground for forming an opinion that a person is not a fit and proper person to hold an approval, permit or licence under this Act if the Commissioner —

(a) is satisfied that at any time within the period of 5 years before the person applies for the approval, permit or licence —

If police are refusing to return firearms on a VRO thats ending and quote Section 11 3a iv as a reason not to return, isn't that not valid?

Part (a) states: is satisfied that at any time within the period of 5 years before the person applies for the approval, permit or licence —

So this reason should only acceptable if a person had a VRO BEFORE getting their license correct? Not a VRO years after?

It certainly appears that way unless this particular scenario is captured in another area of the act or regs? I'd suggest you touch base with a lawyer conversant in firearms laws to give yourself the best chance of success (if of course you feel whatever caused the VRO is managed now).
Bazz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 29 Feb 2024, 3:16 pm

Toadstool wrote:Has the new firearms act come in yet? I'm reading the current FIREARMS ACT 1973

Section 11 (3)

The problem as I see it is that you are applying a renewal ever year. So that new licence is subject to being within the 5 years.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Toadstool » 29 Feb 2024, 4:34 pm

animalpest wrote:The problem as I see it is that you are applying a renewal ever year. So that new licence is subject to being within the 5 years.

haha, this is probably 100% it. I'm guessing the act was written without that being the intention, but here we are today :P

Everything is sorted out now though, relieved and quite the learning experience
Toadstool
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Mar 2024, 6:58 pm

Well, the Bill has been tabled.

So, can now be down load from the WA parliament site.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gunderson » 01 Mar 2024, 7:11 pm

I'm convinced the state of this nation is set on an inevitable course toward a crude authoritarian state, well beyond the bureaucratic garbage they already peddle
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by alexjones » 04 Mar 2024, 8:17 am

gunderson wrote:I'm convinced the state of this nation is set on an inevitable course toward a crude authoritarian state, well beyond the bureaucratic garbage they already peddle

Just give us your self loading long arms and register everything else. That's all we want. It will end there we promise.........

Anyone who believed this nonsense in 1996 is a proper fool.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Toadstool » 12 Mar 2024, 11:33 am

Was wondering, with the cancellation of all property letters how exactly will it all work?

Will the police cancel all those licences and tell owners to bring guns to police stations?

Will they force owners who used property lettters to re-apply? If so do they have to pay the application fee again? Do they keep the firearms in the meantime or taken away? I mean if the'yre taken away during the application and it's rejected we lose them and cant even sell i suppose?

I'm half and half invested. my shotguns and 1 air rifle are registerd to my property. However i used a property letter to get my 22lr/22wmr/ and another air rifle (i just happened to buy another air rifle at time of getting these guns). I only used a property letter to be safe as my farm is 16 acres. Im hoping going forwrad the 22's would get approved on my current property due to its location (only a couple of neighbours on equal sized properties, and the entire other side a large commerical sheep farm with no houses). I'm just not confident they check stuff that closely and not just go off arbitary minimum size requirements.
Toadstool
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by alexjones » 12 Mar 2024, 1:49 pm

I am not sure how it would work but seeing as licences in WA only last for one year I am assuming based on zero evidence they would not have to cancel anything and just not approve licence renewals. I feel a lot of people are not going to be able to satisfy the "genuine reason" and police will rock up to their front door to steal their property.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 12 Mar 2024, 9:49 pm

I think that when you get your renewal you will probably need to have property letters renewed. But this hasn't been spelt out in the regulations which are still in the pipeline.
Given that licences can be 1 or 5 year renewals I am not sure how that will work.

A "farm" of of 16 acres must be intensive farming?
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Toadstool » 13 Mar 2024, 11:09 am

animalpest wrote:A "farm" of of 16 acres must be intensive farming?

Nope, just some animals and various crops. Dunno why you put farm in quotations. If you don't agree with the use of the word, take it up with the dictionary :thumbsup:
Toadstool
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 13 Mar 2024, 12:53 pm

Nope, all good Toadstool. I was just wondering if it's a commercial farm or hobby farm, but doesn't really make any difference to the discussion on the law changes.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Barbarian » 13 Mar 2024, 11:33 pm

animalpest wrote:Nope, all good Toadstool. I was just wondering if it's a commercial farm or hobby farm, but doesn't really make any difference to the discussion on the law changes.

The governor just signed off on the appropriations for the drawing up of a new act. Assuming that the draft will be published eventually. That’ll hopefully show more insight into what’s going forward rather than the super vague bill that was proposed.

While the limits and new property letters (a subject that has been done to death) are the highlight, not many folks are talking about:

Triggers, Magazines, stocks, chassis, stock blanks requiring an application to minister to obtain. All s**t that we can at present walk on and buy without a license.

The complete removal of the “Target Shooting” license that was proposed in the Consultation paper, clearly because they realised it meant for most people, they had the same limits as farmers and competition shooters.

Just two of my personal observations from reading the bill as introduced.

I did hear some discussion that the number and presence of hunting authority granted to other shooters on a primary producer’s property will have an effect on the primary producer’s own ability to secure a primary producer’s firearms license.

Seems a bit ridiculous as Target shooting is perfectly legal and has no bearing on wether or not a farmer needs their guns for pests.
Attachments
IMG_6098.jpeg
IMG_6098.jpeg (271.41 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by gunderson » 14 Mar 2024, 12:12 am

its not about sense, its not about fairness, its not about safety, its not about concern or care or public interest, its 1000% about forced control and authoritarian rule via monopoly violence and mass disarming of innocent, law abiding people, the labor party are complete and utter C-Un-Ts and there is no other word for them, they are the antithesis of all that is good and they are nothing short of egomaniacs and totalitarians. The moves they pulled when they changed the electoral boundaries are proof of that in its entirety.
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by mchughcb » 14 Mar 2024, 8:39 am

This is going the same way as the cultural heritage laws
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2024, 6:37 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 15 Mar 2024, 6:47 pm

animalpest wrote:I think that when you get your renewal you will probably need to have property letters renewed. But this hasn't been spelt out in the regulations which are still in the pipeline.
Given that licences can be 1 or 5 year renewals I am not sure how that will work.

A "farm" of of 16 acres must be intensive farming?

The bill states that once the act has been assented, a license under the 1973 act will remain valid until that license renewal is due. After that, the renewal is subject to the 2024 act.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gunderson » 15 Mar 2024, 7:04 pm

basically wa can eat knobs
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by 5-0 » 04 Apr 2024, 9:15 pm

The WA police are getting new gear to enforce the new laws, you won't be able to get away now.

WA police version of jackboots: lol:

https://youtu.be/7XhDT8Rqglo?si=ndCBc1f6o53MDNdY
5-0
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by alexjones » 05 Apr 2024, 5:54 am

5-0 wrote:The WA police are getting new gear to enforce the new laws, you won't be able to get away now.

Tax payer money used to make this? Police earning the hate yet again I see.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gumnut » 05 Apr 2024, 5:16 pm

Does anyone know if there's been any further clarification on the removal of the 'recreational shooting' purpose for the individual license category in the tabled bill? It's strange how this detail was seemingly omitted in the proposal document. This exclusion will effectively prevent recreational shooters from applying for individual licenses will it not? Not everyone in this category shoots for competition related activities.

Is this is a not so subtle push to force recreational shooters into clubs that are already capped with memberships and ultimately give up on the hobby?

I'm also frustrated by the lack of communication and agency by SSAA for WA related matters, I'm a fully paid member so I feel entitled to my 2 cents; where is the lobbying? Are they doing anything? My last 3 emails from SSAA were all advertising and a reminder to pay up for my next year. :|
gumnut
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Apr 2024, 7:06 pm

5-0 wrote:The WA police are getting new gear to enforce the new laws, you won't be able to get away now.

Great to see the boys and girls in blue using their time constructively and focusing on their actual jobs.
Hopefully they get sacked.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Barbarian » 08 Apr 2024, 5:36 pm

gumnut wrote:Does anyone know if there's been any further clarification on the removal of the 'recreational shooting' purpose for the individual license category in the tabled bill? It's strange how this detail was seemingly omitted in the proposal document. This exclusion will effectively prevent recreational shooters from applying for individual licenses will it not? Not everyone in this category shoots for competition related activities.

Is this is a not so subtle push to force recreational shooters into clubs that are already capped with memberships and ultimately give up on the hobby?

I'm also frustrated by the lack of communication and agency by SSAA for WA related matters, I'm a fully paid member so I feel entitled to my 2 cents; where is the lobbying? Are they doing anything? My last 3 emails from SSAA were all advertising and a reminder to pay up for my next year. :|

Nothing subtle about it Gummut,

They want to reduce the number of firearms licensed in the state. Removal of a genuine reason for an individual license will make it harder for some shooters to obtain a renewal and the number of permissions being capped by internal policy, affecting the ability of primary producers to obtain their license or reduce the number of firearms they are able to license on it will make landowners more hesitant to simply help a friend or family member out with a hunting permission.

You can still site in and who knows, that might take 50-100 rounds if you’re not happy with your zero yet.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Apr 2024, 6:49 pm

We just need a huge chain saw and remove WA. Prevailing currents should do the rest. :clap:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gumnut » 09 Apr 2024, 9:50 am

Oldbloke wrote:We just need a huge chain saw and remove WA. Prevailing currents should do the rest. :clap:

If they can do it in WA, don't be surprised if your state is next mate.
gumnut
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia gun laws