Which 5 firearms to choose

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Which 5 firearms to choose

Post by 17Dave » 22 Oct 2023, 11:23 am

I am hoping I can get a limit of 10 for hunting with the new laws but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not as bad off as others as I'll only loose 1 at this stage. I also hope I can use my firearms licenced for hunting at a range, but the details are so sketchy it's hard to know.
It also appears I have to write a property letter for myself to shoot on my own land. FFS !

I'm on 50 acres and although I run sheep I don't think I'll be classified as a primary producer. It's sounding like they will determine what rifles I can use on 50 acres and smaller lots.

I hunt pest birds to buffalo on small properties to large to interstate.

Out of these choices, what would you choose for your hunting 5.

22l, 17 hmr, 22H , 17 rem, 223 rem, 260 rem, 308 win, 375 HH, 410 o/u, 12GA o/u, 310 cadet.

Hoping the other 5 I can licence for the range with 1 to go to the dogs.

Cheers. Davo.
17Dave
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Re: Which 5 firearms to choose

Post by bladeracer » 22 Oct 2023, 12:36 pm

17Dave wrote:I am hoping I can get a limit of 10 for hunting with the new laws but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not as bad off as others as I'll only loose 1 at this stage. I also hope I can use my firearms licenced for hunting at a range, but the details are so sketchy it's hard to know.
It also appears I have to write a property letter for myself to shoot on my own land. FFS !

I'm on 50 acres and although I run sheep I don't think I'll be classified as a primary producer. It's sounding like they will determine what rifles I can use on 50 acres and smaller lots.

22l, 17 hmr, 22H , 17 rem, 223 rem, 260 rem, 308 win, 375 HH, 410 o/u, 12GA o/u, 310 cadet.

Cheers. Davo.

If they maintain their ridiculous property size requirements, on 50 acres you'll be limited to .22LR and shotguns. You need 2000 acres to licence a .308, 1000 acres to licence a .223, and 100 acres to licence a .22WMR.
Attachments
firearmrangeswapol.jpg
firearmrangeswapol.jpg (77.77 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Last edited by bladeracer on 22 Oct 2023, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Oct 2023, 12:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:
17Dave wrote:I am hoping I can get a limit of 10 for hunting with the new laws but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not as bad off as others as I'll only loose 1 at this stage. I also hope I can use my firearms licenced for hunting at a range, but the details are so sketchy it's hard to know.

Cheers. Davo.

If they maintain their ridiculous property size requirements, on 50 acres you'll be limited to .22LR and shotguns. You need 2000 acres to licence a .308, 1000 acres to licence a .223, and 100 acres to licence a .22WMR.

FFS ! Political stupidity at it’s best :crazy:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 Oct 2023, 2:29 pm

375hh
12g
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tassiebloke » 23 Oct 2023, 7:38 am

what a mate of mine did is buy a Blaser R8 and a shotgun. the R8 covers everything from 22lr to 500 Jeffery. add the shotgun and you can still add 3 more rifles of more sentimental/fun value and still have all the calibres that you need covered. not cheap but it might be the way forward these days.
Tassiebloke
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Bazz » 23 Oct 2023, 11:08 am

17Dave wrote: I also hope I can use my firearms licenced for hunting at a range, but the details are so sketchy it's hard to know.

This! It would be great to find out what their intentions are regarding using our open licence at the range. I enjoy the odd range visit between camping trips but my interpretation from the consultation paper is this will be a thing of the past as well.
Bazz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Oct 2023, 1:06 pm

Tassiebloke wrote:what a mate of mine did is buy a Blaser R8 and a shotgun. the R8 covers everything from 22lr to 500 Jeffery. add the shotgun and you can still add 3 more rifles of more sentimental/fun value and still have all the calibres that you need covered. not cheap but it might be the way forward these days.

In WA you have to licence barrels, so the Blaser would count as several firearms I'm sure.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 23 Oct 2023, 4:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tassiebloke wrote:what a mate of mine did is buy a Blaser R8 and a shotgun. the R8 covers everything from 22lr to 500 Jeffery. add the shotgun and you can still add 3 more rifles of more sentimental/fun value and still have all the calibres that you need covered. not cheap but it might be the way forward these days.

In WA you have to licence barrels, so the Blaser would count as several firearms I'm sure.

In Queensland we have to licence barrels as well, but they don’t count as a firearm. Only the receiver/action is counted as a firearm.
Not saying you’re wrong, as WA laws sound very strict and their is a very good chance you are correct.

But, if I lived in WA I would be confirming that little fact before doing anything. :thumbsup:
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Oct 2023, 4:42 pm

bigpete wrote:22
375hh
12g

Good choices but my list would be:
22lr
12g
Muzzle loader
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 23 Oct 2023, 5:04 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:22
375hh
12g

Good choices but my list would be:
22lr
12g
Muzzle loader

I was choosing ones out of his list
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 17Dave » 23 Oct 2023, 10:48 pm

Thanks all. I'm sure each barrel will be counted as a firearm for their BS purposes but if reducing numbers of firearms it actually serves their purposes well. I don't believe they are smart enough to figure that out.
Oldbloke, big Pete is correct. I don't own a 308 long.
And that's pretty much how I am currently thinking big Pete. I am tossing up between 12ga and hmr for shooting on the smaller blocks while still having some range to reach out. It's a tough choice. 22H would be better for those purposes but it's a cadet and while it has similar accuracy, it sometimes doesn't extract. The hornet will likely be the one that goes. I'm sure I'll change my mind hundreds of times over the next 12 months or so.
17Dave
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Oct 2023, 5:31 am

17Dave wrote:Thanks all. I'm sure each barrel will be counted as a firearm for their BS purposes but if reducing numbers of firearms it actually serves their purposes well. I don't believe they are smart enough to figure that out.
Oldbloke, big Pete is correct. I own a 30.06 short
And that's pretty much how I am currently thinking big Pete. I am tossing up between 12ga and hmr for shooting on the smaller blocks while still having some range to reach out. It's a tough choice. 22H would be better for those purposes but it's a cadet and while it has similar accuracy, it sometimes doesn't extract. The hornet will likely be the one that goes. I'm sure I'll change my mind hundreds of times over the next 12 months or so.

I corrected it for you. :D

Sorry, didnt read the OP :unknown:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 24 Oct 2023, 7:15 am

22lr, 223, 308, 12G.
mchughcb