Transferring from ACT to WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Transferring from ACT to WA

Post by Anthony » 10 Apr 2024, 10:44 am

Hi all I’m extremely new here, I’m moving to WA at the end of the year I currently have 4 guns in my name which are a taipan light in .223, howa 1500 in a SCSA Chassis in 6.5 creedmoor, marlin 1895 dark in 45/70 and a stoeger M3000 12 gauge now my question is are any of those guns currently banned in WA and if not what’s the process of getting a licence transferred over? I’m a SSAA member and that’s my genuine reason here in the ACT
Anthony
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Transferring from ACT to WA

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2024, 10:13 am

Anthony wrote:Hi all I’m extremely new here, I’m moving to WA at the end of the year I currently have 4 guns in my name which are a taipan light in .223, howa 1500 in a SCSA Chassis in 6.5 creedmoor, marlin 1895 dark in 45/70 and a stoeger M3000 12 gauge now my question is are any of those guns currently banned in WA and if not what’s the process of getting a licence transferred over? I’m a SSAA member and that’s my genuine reason here in the ACT

No such thing as transferring a licence, you make a new application upon becoming resident in another state.
WA doesn't licence like all other states, they essentially give you a firearm licence for each individual firearm. All other states licence you as a shooter and you buy firearms based on you being licenced to own them.

You would have to email WA Firearms and get confirmation on whether your firearms are legal there in their current configuration. I had a quick look at Cleaver and they don't mention the Taipan being prohibited in any state - but confirm with Police.

No public land hunting in WA so if you want to be able to hunt with them (in any state) you will need property letters for them. Otherwise just join a club and licence them for club use only.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 16 Apr 2024, 10:30 am

One year licensing over there and new limits on the amount of guns you can own. Australia is already gay for gun owners but WA is next level queer.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Apr 2024, 10:39 am

I'm sure someone will correct me.

You might be better off selling them and start from scratch in WA.

WA is a head spin.

A bonus will be there will be plenty at bargain prices over there soon enough.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 22 Apr 2024, 8:42 pm

My advice - stay in the ACT or move anywhere but WA. The current government and police are seriously anti-gun over here.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Apr 2024, 8:58 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:My advice - stay in the ACT or move anywhere but WA. The current government and police are seriously anti-gun over here.

I rank ACT immediately below WA for the worst firearm laws in Australia, but WA is a long way ahead in their hatred of shooters.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Apr 2024, 9:57 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:My advice - stay in the ACT or move anywhere but WA. The current government and police are seriously anti-gun over here.

I agree.

And welcome back DJ
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Western Australia gun laws