We can now remove Roo's shot under damage licenses, WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

We can now remove Roo's shot under damage licenses, WA

Post by MeccaOz » 18 Jul 2014, 6:02 am

The removing of carcasses shot under damage licenses for non-commercial purposes is now legal - a great win for hunters in Western Australia and common sense. In other words, Heads up Roo Tail Stew is nearly ready !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzbjps1olel6jdq/Dpaw%20Approval%20Non%20Comm%20Tags%20140716.pdf
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: We can now remove Roo's shot under damage licenses, WA

Post by wrenchman » 18 Jul 2014, 7:09 am

When we kill deer under crop damage they prefer that it is eaten or donated to feed the poor.there are programs in most states called hunters feed in the hungry.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MeccaOz » 18 Jul 2014, 7:27 am

wrenchman wrote:When we kill deer under crop damage they prefer that it is eaten or donated to feed the poor.there are programs in most states called hunters feed in the hungry.

Well until now mate, we had to leave them where they fell, I guess since they are on our coat of arms etc etc. But what your suggesting makes a lot more sense :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Fozzy » 18 Jul 2014, 10:33 am

Still only legal if you have tags.. To get tags you need to be a primary producer in an open shire or a shire that will issue damage permits..

For teh average hunter/shooter this really means squat. Unless you know of a primary producer thats willing to give you his tags
Fozzy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 18 Jul 2014, 10:37 am

lol I guess it's a perk of living in the bush Fozzy .. Neither are a worry.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Fozzy » 18 Jul 2014, 10:41 am

Ive already lined mine up once they come across the guys desk.. But im just saying it wont help a lot of people..

A dog/cat bounty on the other hand..
Fozzy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 18 Jul 2014, 10:55 am

Fozzy wrote:Ive already lined mine up once they come across the guys desk.. But im just saying it wont help a lot of people..

A dog/cat bounty on the other hand..

Well there is a dog bounty .. Of sorts I know two blokes who make a living as doggers.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Supporter » 19 Jul 2014, 1:11 pm

wrenchman wrote:When we kill deer under crop damage they prefer that it is eaten or donated to feed the poor.there are programs in most states called hunters feed in the hungry.

As they should.

I can't even begin to guess what reason some pencil pusher came up with to justify leaving an animal to rot instead of putting it to good use.

They're so caught up in stopping you from doing anything here they're pissing away resources and opportunities left, right and centre.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by AusC » 19 Jul 2014, 1:12 pm

Roo meat is tasty too.

It's not like it's a borderline acceptable food they're debating whether people should have.

To not be putting the meat to use after a culling is wasteful, pure and simple.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by howtow » 19 Jul 2014, 1:13 pm

MeccaOz wrote:The removing of carcasses shot under damage licenses for non-commercial purposes is now legal

You weren't even allowed to use them for dog meat or anything?
howtow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Arth » 19 Jul 2014, 1:14 pm

Supporter wrote:I can't even begin to guess what reason some pencil pusher came up with to justify leaving an animal to rot instead of putting it to good use.

I guess that it hasn't gone through the same requirements as a butcher. Whatever laws go around selling meat etc.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 19 Jul 2014, 1:16 pm

If you wanted to sell it that's fair enough. I'm not a butcher so don't know what they are, but fair enough there are some basic safeguards in place for selling meat to others.

If you want to eat it yourself or feed the dogs etc. then IMO there's no reason not to.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 19 Jul 2014, 1:23 pm

howtow wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:The removing of carcasses shot under damage licenses for non-commercial purposes is now legal

You weren't even allowed to use them for dog meat or anything?

Nope, the only thing you could do with the carcass was tag it, and leave it where it fell mate.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mausermate » 20 Jul 2014, 12:33 pm

MeccaOz wrote:The removing of carcasses shot under damage licenses for non-commercial purposes is now legal - a great win for hunters in Western Australia and common sense. In other words, Heads up Roo Tail Stew is nearly ready !

that's really interesting. Not the case in NSW yet I believe. I am pretty sure it is still "shoot and lie" I have never understood the reason for the waste and doubt if any sensible people reside in the NSW NPWS.
We have received a really stupid condition with our license recently whereby you have to nominate the shooters and only two persons can be listed on a license. We have three generations of family living on our farm plus a number of employee's. 9km of our boundary is against State Forest and Crown Land. You can imagine the roo population. Under this condition only 2 of us are permitted to shoot. How ridiculous!
It is all just typical of the bureaucratic bullsh*t these days. Only the ones that actually want to abide by the law will be penalized by stuff like this, there is no real way of policing. I guess it's just another piece of crappy legislation created to shut someone up and make it look good on the outside but have no real effect. Brainless people drive me nuts!
Sorry for the rant!
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by howtow » 20 Jul 2014, 9:37 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Nope, the only thing you could do with the carcass was tag it, and leave it where it fell mate.

Well that's useless :|
howtow
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by nords » 20 Jul 2014, 9:37 pm

Like so much of our legislation...
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 21 Jul 2014, 7:12 am

mausermate wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:The removing of carcasses shot under damage licenses for non-commercial purposes is now legal - a great win for hunters in Western Australia and common sense. In other words, Heads up Roo Tail Stew is nearly ready !

that's really interesting. Not the case in NSW yet I believe. I am pretty sure it is still "shoot and lie" I have never understood the reason for the waste and doubt if any sensible people reside in the NSW NPWS.
We have received a really stupid condition with our license recently whereby you have to nominate the shooters and only two persons can be listed on a license. We have three generations of family living on our farm plus a number of employee's. 9km of our boundary is against State Forest and Crown Land. You can imagine the roo population. Under this condition only 2 of us are permitted to shoot. How ridiculous!
It is all just typical of the bureaucratic bullsh*t these days. Only the ones that actually want to abide by the law will be penalized by stuff like this, there is no real way of policing. I guess it's just another piece of crappy legislation created to shut someone up and make it look good on the outside but have no real effect. Brainless people drive me nuts!
Sorry for the rant!

I know.. It drives me nuts. All this s**ty red tape, and if we step on the lines we are a dogs dinner :(
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by dorpel » 22 Jul 2014, 10:13 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Nope, the only thing you could do with the carcass was tag it, and leave it where it fell mate.

Tag it and then what?

Someone collects it or you're just tagging it to show you were allowed to shoot it?
dorpel
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Return to Western Australia gun laws