If you could change one gun law

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Mar 2021, 5:29 pm

Shootermick wrote:One strange part of the license categories is that you can have a pump action centrefire rifle on cat b, but need cat c for a pump action shotgun. Is one really any more dangerous than the other???
A long range 308 for example vs a short range but wide pattern 12 gauge.??
In Victoria anyway, I’m not sure about the other states.


Yeh, that and appearance laws. Both idiotic.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6925
Victoria

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by boingk » 19 Mar 2021, 9:15 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Shootermick wrote:One strange part of the license categories is that you can have a pump action centrefire rifle on cat b, but need cat c for a pump action shotgun. Is one really any more dangerous than the other???


Yeh, that and appearance laws. Both idiotic.


Yup, very silly. Also the "hi cal" restrictions on pistols.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 335
Other

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by DaveZ » 20 Mar 2021, 6:27 am

Oldbloke wrote:Yeh, that and appearance laws. Both idiotic.


I find the current PTA system a joke as well. We already jump through all the hoops the government demands of us, background checks etc, and gain permission to own and use firearms when we get our licence, then we have to ask for permission to purchase a firearm, again. Seems to be a very unnecessary waste of everyones time and our money.

I'm all for licencing, registration etc, but if I have government authorisation to own and use a certain category of firearm then I should be able to freely purchase those firearms at will.

Appearance laws are ridiculous and should be thrown out. Imagine the outrage from the car enthusiasts if all of a sudden they had to have their cars crushed because they looked a little too much like race cars, and of course racing cars on public streets is dangerous.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
User avatar
DaveZ
Private
Private
 
Posts: 52
Queensland

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by womble » 20 Mar 2021, 10:28 am

Agreed PTA’s are a joke. The registry itself is a complete fiasco and should be scrapped. Expensive exercise that serves no purpose.

Are there no scissors in your house son..
Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have.
User avatar
womble
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 542
Victoria

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Ziege » 20 Mar 2021, 11:34 am

DaveZ wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Yeh, that and appearance laws. Both idiotic.


I find the current PTA system a joke as well. We already jump through all the hoops the government demands of us, background checks etc, and gain permission to own and use firearms when we get our licence, then we have to ask for permission to purchase a firearm, again. Seems to be a very unnecessary waste of everyones time and our money.

I'm all for licencing, registration etc, but if I have government authorisation to own and use a certain category of firearm then I should be able to freely purchase those firearms at will.

Appearance laws are ridiculous and should be thrown out. Imagine the outrage from the car enthusiasts if all of a sudden they had to have their cars crushed because they looked a little too much like race cars, and of course racing cars on public streets is dangerous.



nah f*** registration and the likes, if someone is vetted, licensed and law abiding it is literally no one else's business what they buy or do.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 965
Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Ziege » 20 Mar 2021, 11:38 am

Farmerpete wrote:I personally would like to see the scrapping of the classification system.
It seems entirely contradictory to say ok we believe your not going to go on a killing spree so we'll let you own a gun but in the interest of public safety you can only own certain guns.
I cant understand how denial of certain types of firearms from fit and proper persons improves public safety



thats because it doesnt, there is no genuine advantage to anyone anywhere by instituting such restrictions apart from the oligarch and control freak/socialist types. only reason to control semi autos and pump and other cat c/d firearms is to control armed opposition to their corruption.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 965
Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Mar 2021, 5:57 pm

Ziege wrote:
Farmerpete wrote:I personally would like to see the scrapping of the classification system.
It seems entirely contradictory to say ok we believe your not going to go on a killing spree so we'll let you own a gun but in the interest of public safety you can only own certain guns.
I cant understand how denial of certain types of firearms from fit and proper persons improves public safety



thats because it doesnt, there is no genuine advantage to anyone anywhere by instituting such restrictions apart from the oligarch and control freak/socialist types. only reason to control semi autos and pump and other cat c/d firearms is to control armed opposition to their corruption.


Typical emotional out burst with no proof that its about controlling armed opposition.

Australia is not communist or a dictatorship.

Its about perceived risk. Semi's fire faster than BO or bolt actions. Therefore some believe they could result in more deaths in the event of a massacre. And there us some truth in this.

I'm not saying the settings are right but please don't make these statements as if you know it as fact.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6925
Victoria

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Mar 2021, 6:19 pm

Ziege wrote: there is no genuine advantage to anyone anywhere by instituting such restrictions apart from the oligarch and control freak/socialist types. only reason to control semi autos and pump and other cat c/d firearms is to control armed opposition to their corruption.


"The only reason" :lol:
yet another class A statement, I think that tinfoil hat has obstructed blood flow to your brain... :lol:

Seriously? A coup uprising by a handful of civilians with semi-automatics against an entire nation's military, its trained soldiers and all its war toys ... I doubt it would ever enter the equation for determining the risk of private ownership.
Today's STAR Force squads would probably stomp that out in short time.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 20 Mar 2021, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2257
South Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Ziege » 20 Mar 2021, 6:22 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Ziege wrote: there is no genuine advantage to anyone anywhere by instituting such restrictions apart from the oligarch and control freak/socialist types. only reason to control semi autos and pump and other cat c/d firearms is to control armed opposition to their corruption.


"The only reason" :lol:
yet another class A statement, I think that tinfoil hat has obstructed blood flow to your brain... :lol:

Seriously? A coup uprising by a handful of civilians with semi-automatics against an entire nation's military, its trained soldiers and all its war toys ... I doubt it would ever enter the equation for determining the risk of private ownership.



The idea is it wouldnt be a handful, but dont let simple semantics get in the way of your drivel, way to try and strawman.... clap clap for the handicap
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 965
Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Ziege » 20 Mar 2021, 6:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Ziege wrote:
Farmerpete wrote:I personally would like to see the scrapping of the classification system.
It seems entirely contradictory to say ok we believe your not going to go on a killing spree so we'll let you own a gun but in the interest of public safety you can only own certain guns.
I cant understand how denial of certain types of firearms from fit and proper persons improves public safety



thats because it doesnt, there is no genuine advantage to anyone anywhere by instituting such restrictions apart from the oligarch and control freak/socialist types. only reason to control semi autos and pump and other cat c/d firearms is to control armed opposition to their corruption.


Typical emotional out burst with no proof that its about controlling armed opposition.

Australia is not communist or a dictatorship.

Its about perceived risk. Semi's fire faster than BO or bolt actions. Therefore some believe they could result in more deaths in the event of a massacre. And there us some truth in this.

I'm not saying the settings are right but please don't make these statements as if you know it as fact.


no but it is increasingly a socialist state, and we all know how they end up, unless of course youre completely ignorant.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 965
Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Mar 2021, 6:24 pm

:lol:
20210320_185639.jpg
They can take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!!!!!
20210320_185639.jpg (99.05 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2257
South Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Mar 2021, 7:16 pm

Ziege wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
Ziege wrote:
Farmerpete wrote:I personally would like to see the scrapping of the classification system.
It seems entirely contradictory to say ok we believe your not going to go on a killing spree so we'll let you own a gun but in the interest of public safety you can only own certain guns.
I cant understand how denial of certain types of firearms from fit and proper persons improves public safety



thats because it doesnt, there is no genuine advantage to anyone anywhere by instituting such restrictions apart from the oligarch and control freak/socialist types. only reason to control semi autos and pump and other cat c/d firearms is to control armed opposition to their corruption.


Typical emotional out burst with no proof that its about controlling armed opposition.

Australia is not communist or a dictatorship.

Its about perceived risk. Semi's fire faster than BO or bolt actions. Therefore some believe they could result in more deaths in the event of a massacre. And there us some truth in this.

I'm not saying the settings are right but please don't make these statements as if you know it as fact.


no but it is increasingly a socialist state, and we all know how they end up, unless of course youre completely ignorant.


My God what a load of BS.
You seem to have forgotten three important facts.

1. It was little Johny Howard, a (capitalist) LNP government that introduced the new laws in 96. Doh
2. Its the LNP in charge currently. Just like JH was. If they are a so f,,kn good why haven't they reversed the laws? Doh.
3. LNP has had plenty of opportunities to reverse the current laws since 96.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6925
Victoria

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Ziege » 20 Mar 2021, 7:22 pm

Oldbloke wrote:You seem to have forgotten three important facts.

1. It was little Johny Howard, a (capitalist) LNP government that introduced the new laws in 96. Doh
2. Its the LNP in charge currently. Just like JH was. If they are a so f,,kn good why haven't they reversed the laws? Doh.
3. LNP has had plenty of opportunities to reverse the current laws since 96.



ooooh I seee you refer to the past and no longer current issues and events to dictate the future, how defeatist. Australians acting like "those days are gone" is pathetic, ask any country that has its arms back in civilian hands, as there are many, and they will tell you that's just pure cowardice in play, perhaps you have allowed yourself to be indoctrinated or trained to do so, but none the less its not a thing of the past, imperialist politicians and their control freak mates and cronies most definitely should however.

further more who are all you people voting for major parties like caged mice? they have NEVER done anything for you and NEVER will, wakey wakey.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 965
Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Mar 2021, 8:42 pm

Ziege wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:You seem to have forgotten three important facts.

1. It was little Johny Howard, a (capitalist) LNP government that introduced the new laws in 96. Doh
2. Its the LNP in charge currently. Just like JH was. If they are a so f,,kn good why haven't they reversed the laws? Doh.
3. LNP has had plenty of opportunities to reverse the current laws since 96.



ooooh I seee you refer to the past and no longer current issues and events to dictate the future, how defeatist. Australians acting like "those days are gone" is pathetic, ask any country that has its arms back in civilian hands, as there are many, and they will tell you that's just pure cowardice in play, perhaps you have allowed yourself to be indoctrinated or trained to do so, but none the less its not a thing of the past, imperialist politicians and their control freak mates and cronies most definitely should however.

further more who are all you people voting for major parties like caged mice? they have NEVER done anything for you and NEVER will, wakey wakey.


Zeige, please tell me your not an official of the SFFP. I have not voted for any of the majors for at least 15 years.

Bet you vote for LNP every election like a lemming. Because your right wing DH. When you do that you endorse what little johny did in 96...looser. :allegedly: :D
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6925
Victoria

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Ziege » 20 Mar 2021, 11:31 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Ziege wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:You seem to have forgotten three important facts.

1. It was little Johny Howard, a (capitalist) LNP government that introduced the new laws in 96. Doh
2. Its the LNP in charge currently. Just like JH was. If they are a so f,,kn good why haven't they reversed the laws? Doh.
3. LNP has had plenty of opportunities to reverse the current laws since 96.



ooooh I seee you refer to the past and no longer current issues and events to dictate the future, how defeatist. Australians acting like "those days are gone" is pathetic, ask any country that has its arms back in civilian hands, as there are many, and they will tell you that's just pure cowardice in play, perhaps you have allowed yourself to be indoctrinated or trained to do so, but none the less its not a thing of the past, imperialist politicians and their control freak mates and cronies most definitely should however.

further more who are all you people voting for major parties like caged mice? they have NEVER done anything for you and NEVER will, wakey wakey.


Zeige, please tell me your not an official of the SFFP. I have not voted for any of the majors for at least 15 years.

Bet you vote for LNP every election like a lemming. Because your right wing DH. When you do that you endorse what little johny did in 96...looser. :allegedly: :D


still stroking your ego I see, I have never endorsed the major parties. cheers.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 965
Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Diamond Jim » 22 Mar 2021, 12:22 am

The PTA system seems vastly preferable to the current regime in WA. We are the poor cousins when it comes to firearms legislation.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint. Why supply a DNA sample?
User avatar
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 254
Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Ziege » 22 Mar 2021, 11:18 am

Diamond Jim wrote:The PTA system seems vastly preferable to the current regime in WA. We are the poor cousins when it comes to firearms legislation.



why have PTA at all? if you are vetted once, you are vetted, a fit and proper person should only have to prove it once, then whatever they purchase after is between them and the firearm dealer. this bulls**t we have in this country is a joke.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 965
Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Larry » 22 Mar 2021, 11:42 am

The registry idea is not a complete fubar idea. It is useful to keep a track of just how many guns a person does acquire. It is not that far fetched idea that a person could become obsessed with firearms and go a little bit overboard or completely wacko. It is a system that would give some warning for a check up if someone quickly acquired 50 guns. Is there a good reason for this or has the person gone full retard rambo or are they a member of a far right wing group or a outlaw bike club and supplying firearms for all members? This is able to be flagged and then a officer can do a inspection have a little chat and determine if the person is stable or not.
Yes they were checked out once but we all know that many things can happen that change a persons mental health and outlook on life.
Larry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 207
-

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by linkoln » 22 Mar 2021, 12:13 pm

Larry wrote:are they a member of a far right wing group or a outlaw bike club

Why did you single out those two groups for profiling in particular?
What about lone wolf Islamic extremists, or radical left wing climate change lunatics. You sound like a bit of a nark Officer Larry.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 116
-

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Mar 2021, 12:50 pm

Larry wrote:
Yes they were checked out once but we all know that many things can happen that change a persons mental health and outlook on life.


Yeh, getting checked out at 20yrs old and ok doesn't mean you will be mentally stable all your life.

But I'm not sure how applying for a PTA confirms your mental state? Just a "hand brake" on gun numbers in the safe. And a check if licence matches firearm classification.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6925
Victoria

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Bugman » 22 Mar 2021, 3:49 pm

I remember approximately 40 years ago I was able to purchase a Parker Hale rifle in 243 and at the same time, a Breda semi auto 12 gauge from a well known and respected department store in Sydneys north shore area, with no fuss, no pta etc. The coppers knew who bought it as it was recorded in the stores bill of sale register.
I must agree, the pta system is a long winded, bureaucratic, stuff up. Why can't you just purchase your firearm of choice, by producing your licence for such item, the shop uses their fancy computer to liaise with the relevant authorites, all at the one time, and unless you are naughty person, you walk out of the store with your purchase.
As it has been said, you have been vetted, scrutinised, probed etc when applying and granted said licence, so what is the problem?
Yes I know........."tell him he's dreaming"
User avatar
Bugman
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 523
New South Wales

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Mar 2021, 6:37 pm

Bugman wrote:I must agree, the pta system is a long winded, bureaucratic, stuff up. Why can't you just purchase your firearm of choice, by producing your licence for such item, the shop uses their fancy computer to liaise with the relevant authorites, all at the one time,

A. That would be too simple and would not sloooow you down.


and unless you are naughty person, you walk out of the store with your purchase.

A. Well actually if they do check when you buy a new firearm, what's the point?
You already have firearms!!!!

Should be checking perhaps annually.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 6925
Victoria

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by deye243 » 23 Mar 2021, 3:04 am

All you blokes have forgotten what these gun laws are all about it has absolutely nothing to do with public safety or any of that crap is his whats known as hassle Factor you're supposed to say f*** it and give up .
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1127
Victoria

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Ziege » 23 Mar 2021, 9:27 am

deye243 wrote:All you blokes have forgotten what these gun laws are all about it has absolutely nothing to do with public safety or any of that crap is his whats known as hassle Factor you're supposed to say f*** it and give up .




these laws are socialist thinking at its very essence, aka what applies to one applies to all. so one moron *(allegedly) kills dozens, so then the rest have to be treated with the contempt that should have been reserved for that one person only, its no different to any other s**t like affirmative action and white guilt and the marxist ideology of detesting the bourgeoisie, its all tied up in control, power, control and more control. they are control freaks, narcissist and tyrants. the guise of "protecting people" is merely that, a guise, completely and utterly, as anyone with a single ounce of intelligence knows that punitive measures/restrictions against law abiding people achieves absolutely nothing.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 965
Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by deye243 » 23 Mar 2021, 1:14 pm

I still find it funny that the moronic public are willing to accept hundreds of deaths due to the road toll every year .
Yet go batshit crazy when someone uses a firearm to kill one two or more people .
From what I have seen over the last 40 years a Bingle in a car is rarely an accident , lack of skill and stupidity major causes of deaths on the road even alcohol is rarely a factor .
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1127
Victoria

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by Ziege » 23 Mar 2021, 1:31 pm

deye243 wrote:I still find it funny that the moronic public are willing to accept hundreds of deaths due to the road toll every year .
Yet go batshit crazy when someone uses a firearm to kill one two or more people .
From what I have seen over the last 40 years a Bingle in a car is rarely an accident , lack of skill and stupidity major causes of deaths on the road even alcohol is rarely a factor .



yeah I don't see the "fit and proper person" test being applies to the purchase of swimming pools.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 965
Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by DaveZ » 23 Mar 2021, 6:27 pm

Ziege wrote:yeah I don't see the "fit and proper person" test being applies to the purchase of swimming pools.


It's not applied to anything except firearms I think. There are so many things that can, and do, kill people every day, yet most of society just accepts that those deaths are par for the course in our world and are happy enough to have a bit of a cry about the latest road tragedy and then get over it. Child drownings are another, as you alluded to, but there is no wholesale banning of swimming pools. How many people die per year directly or indirectly from alcohol use/abuse? Tobacco? I'm sure there is more. Yet none of these attract quite the same reaction as we got from one shooting. Says a lot I think.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
User avatar
DaveZ
Private
Private
 
Posts: 52
Queensland

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Mar 2021, 8:53 pm

Boxes of matches are completely unrestricted despite arson being responsible for several of Australia's biggest massacres of modern times.
Kitchen knives remain unsecured
House bricks lay around the place without a single thought to public safety.
Spotting stores are happy to sell baseball bats to anyone.
Bunnings sell an arsenal of deadly weapons, no licence required ... but at least they keep that evil spray paint behind locked cages. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2257
South Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by ChrisPer » 24 Mar 2021, 2:24 pm

Man I feel old reading this stuff.
ChrisPer
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 12
Western Australia

Re: If you could change one gun law

Post by ChrisPer » 24 Mar 2021, 5:34 pm

ChrisPer wrote:Man I feel old reading this stuff.


For instance, I started that Libertarianish 'We should be able to own what we want, we are not the problem!!1!' but history beat the s**t out of my views.

I had the 'Match Control Australia' thing going on long ago. It didn't resonate.

I and a few others founded a group we called CLASS to come up with activist ideas but a few of us were politically autistic and did not get anywhere at all but some bigger boys were very scared we would make some big mis-steps.

Now I look at the ****** between SFFP and whoever that other lot are over losing the Upper House seat, and think a few of us need to grow the heck up. :roll:
ChrisPer
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 12
Western Australia

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Western Australia gun laws