WA Licence

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

WA Licence

Post by mar6874 » 04 Aug 2017, 9:54 pm

Hi guys,

So I finally received my first licence through the post today in WA!!!
In the envelope there was only the licence for the two rifles I have at the shop, on the back of the licence it mentions that an extract of licence card must be produced. Can anyone she some light on the extract of licence card for me? Am I missing this? Will it prevent me from picking up my rifles tomorrow?

Thanks in advance.
mar6874
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: WA Licence

Post by Gun-nut » 05 Aug 2017, 12:10 am

I have no idea what an extract of licence card is (I haven't heard of it until now) but browning the FAQs on WAPOL's sight, I found this (page 4 has what you're looking for):

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/~/media/FA ... .pdf?la=en

It appears to me that a separate card will be sent to you in a couple weeks which must be presented when buying ammo or a firearm. If this is the case, WA is the only state I'm aware of that requires this.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1886 » 05 Aug 2017, 10:35 pm

The "extract" is a firearms ID card used to verify you are the dude who owns the firearms listed on your licence etc. I assume you had you pic taken when you applied for the firearms so it will be received in due course.

It's the size of a bank card with you name, address and photo and used to show dealers who may not know you in the first instance.

It is NOT a licence just a Firearms ID card for use as required.

Also if you lost your actual licence or if your wallet is stolen without showing this ID for verification nobody can buy ammo or parts for any of the firearms listed on your licence.

You will be able to collect your firearms as the dealer will now obviously know you :D
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Aug 2017, 1:34 pm

Just to piss off you poor buggers over there.
My lic renewal arrived on the 12 July. I sent the form back following day.
Paid by Bpay, photo at Victoria roads. My new licence arrived this morning 10 Aug in the post.

I've had a lic for 42 years and never been inspected. Must be my good looks. :wtf: Not that I'm worried.
You blokes have gotta move to Victoria.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dexer » 10 Aug 2017, 2:12 pm

Hey Oldbloke did your new Vic license not have your address on it? Apparently they were going to bring in that change, not sure when...
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Aug 2017, 3:48 pm

:clap: Your a scallywag Dexter. We all know it's my rugged good looks and groovy, or is that smoothy hair cut. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Aug 2017, 4:33 pm

That's a bit cruel, laughing at them. :violin:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dexer » 10 Aug 2017, 5:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote::clap: Your a scallywag Dexter. We all know it's my rugged good looks and groovy, or is that smoothy hair cut. :thumbsup:

:lol: hehe no seriously, they are going to remove addresses from licenses in vic, I think it's a safety precaution if you lose it so whoever finds it doesn't show up to help themselves to your collection. :lol:
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Aug 2017, 7:26 pm

Dexer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote::clap: Your a scallywag Dexter. We all know it's my rugged good looks and groovy, or is that smoothy hair cut. :thumbsup:

:lol: hehe no seriously, they are going to remove addresses from licenses in vic, I think it's a safety precaution if you lose it so whoever finds it doesn't show up to help themselves to your collection. :lol:

What happened there, some common sense. No way it was a politician that suggested they do that.
Next they will return the 12g pump action they stole from me in 96.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 1886 » 10 Aug 2017, 11:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Just to piss off you poor buggers over there.
My lic renewal arrived on the 12 July. I sent the form back following day.
Paid by Bpay, photo at Victoria roads. My new licence arrived this morning 10 Aug in the post.

Surely you are kidding. A month to get just a renewal. Got mine in 8 days including postage.
Oldbloke wrote:You blokes have gotta move to Victoria.

Never happen. Too much of a nanny State for my liking :thumbsdown:
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Aug 2017, 6:24 pm

"Surely you are kidding. A month to get just a renewal. Got mine in 8 days including postage".

How did you manage that 1886?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 1886 » 12 Aug 2017, 10:37 pm

Just to confirm we're only talking about a renewal, which is what you indicated not a first licence as per OP.

It's actually even quicker than the 8 days as I was including the total time which included the time it took for me to receive my renewal by Australia Post versus when it was actually posted by Police which was 7 days. But that doesn't really count as renewals are sent a month before your current licence expires.

So in reality to renew a WA licence is only determined by how long it takes you to get off you arse and pay the fee after receipt of the renewal.

You take the licence renewal received from the Police to a post office and pay the fee, attach the receipt to your licence and its done. Could be all done in 10 minutes if you get it out of the mailbox and then go straight down to post office and pay :D

So why do you guys have to wait a freaking month for a renewal ?????

Every 5 years we have to get the "licence extract" ID card renewed with a new photo but no real difference as it's just a case of going to a post office, pay the fee, get photo taken, attach receipt to licence which is now renewed and watch the mailbox for new ID card in due course.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Aug 2017, 11:33 pm

My lic renewal arrived on the 12 or 13 July.
I sent the form back following day. After attaching a copy of my deer licence and check the registration details.
About two weeks later the bill arrived and I paid it by bpay.
Few days later take receipt to Vicroads for a new mug shot.
About ten days later new licence arrived..
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 12 Aug 2017, 11:44 pm

Sounds about right.Over here deer are vermin so no hunting licence required and as we are all on private property if you see anything introduced its fair to shoot.There is a bit of a population of Red deer around the Harvey hills and a few deer farms have wild stock roaring on the outside of the fence.I have met the Ranger who gets called to waste them and he uses a 308.A big Fallow buck was taken on the hill block at Roelands just before I started working at the farm.I like the little roe deer in England.The suckers can just about be hand fed and they are a problem for traffic in some areas,Bit like dodging roos up north
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by 1886 » 13 Aug 2017, 12:11 pm

Oldbloke wrote:My lic renewal arrived on the 12 or 13 July.
I sent the form back following day. After attaching a copy of my deer licence and check the registration details.
About two weeks later the bill arrived and I paid it by bpay.
Few days later take receipt to Vicroads for a new mug shot.
About ten days later new licence arrived..
Wow, seems a lot of stuffing around just to renew your licence. Sorry can't resist :D
Oldbloke wrote:Just to piss off you poor buggers over there.................... .
Versus in WA where we just take the renewal to the nearest post office and pay the fee and its renewed must piss you off and also we don't need no licence to hunt deer or even camels. You got camels in Vic :D.

Duncan61.

Mate, there are also deer in a lot of places that would surprise you other than the Harvey area. I have a pic of reds roaming on what is known as a fairly remote "station" if you get the drift.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 13 Aug 2017, 12:53 pm

The swamps around Jandakot had Fallow but its a bit developed now.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Aug 2017, 5:54 pm

Yep should be to post office to pay and mug shot. But that's not the case.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 17 Feb 2020, 2:05 am

The "extract of Licence" card is intended to make firearm ownership as inconvenient as possible.
In WA you must produce your paper licence which lists every firearm owned along with the renewal receipt attached for any transaction involving firearms or related items - buying ammunition, dropping a firearm in for service, buying reloading components - primers, powder, projectiles etc.
In addition, you must produce your "Extract of Licence" card which is almost exactly the same as the plastic Driver's Licence card that nearly everyone carries anyway AND since the WA FAL had exactly the same number as the WA MDL you could, in theory, just have shown your WA Driver's licence with photo to prove your ID BUT a couple of years ago WAPOL realised this so they added a zero to the front of the FAL number to justify the inconvenience and have a reason to charge you an extra slug every five years to have a new photo card issued. My WA MDL is 300xxxx my WA FAL is 0300xxxx. I can see the merit for anyone without photo ID but very few are in that situation today.
It is completely unnecessary and is purely designed to make owning a firearm so much of a hassle people eventually decide it's not worth the trouble.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 18 Feb 2020, 12:07 am

Man the more I read about WA firearm laws the more glad I am to just work there and take my money back to QLD every few weeks with me.

I just put in 2 PTAs in QLD that you can't even posess in WA because apparently they look scary.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Green » 02 Dec 2022, 6:22 am

So is it right to say if you are a new license holder you require the Photo ID Extract to pick up new rifle/ammo?

Also how long after receiving gun license does it take to receive the Extract?
Green
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 02 Dec 2022, 3:48 pm

As you are required to carry your extract of FAL with you when you are in possession of your firearm or ammo, it's easier to do so when it's a bit of plastic with you photo on it. It's a ID card. You cannot purchase ammo with the extract.

The paper licence is needed to purchase ammo or components as it shows the firearm serial number and calibre, which must be recorded in the dealers book.

Simples
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Return to Western Australia gun laws