Spent brass in WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Spent brass in WA

Post by Thom318 » 14 Mar 2018, 8:35 pm

Hi guys,

Just a tag on from YoungBuck's thread, though I'd start a new one rather than hi-Jack his. What does everyone do with their spent brass in WA, in particular rimfire or shotgun shells?
I'm guessing you can't just throw it in the recycling or rubbish?
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Spent brass in WA

Post by Gwion » 14 Mar 2018, 9:52 pm

Good question.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 14 Mar 2018, 11:53 pm

According to Google ammunition should be handed into the wa police for disposal as spent cartridges are still considered "ammunition" over there that's probably ya best option :huh: :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by knowsnothin » 15 Mar 2018, 7:31 am

I drop mine in with the brass being recycled at the local range. they get a few $$ for it.

there are hundreds of thousands of dangerous spent casings lying around at every range / farm i have been to.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Mar 2018, 7:39 am

It's brass for christ sake, throw it in the bin if it's stuffed.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2018, 9:46 am

bigfellascott wrote:It's brass for christ sake, throw it in the bin if it's stuffed.

Yeah but WA apparently considers all ammo components the same are live ammo; inert or not!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Mar 2018, 10:59 am

I'm awfully glad I live in Qld.
In my office I have lots of nice pictures and photos of various firearms.
Sounds like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It won't be too long before they too would have to be wall mounted in a firearms safe,,,, if I lived in the "Wait Awhile" state.

Geez,,,,, :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Mar 2018, 3:46 pm

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:It's brass for christ sake, throw it in the bin if it's stuffed.

Yeah but WA apparently considers all ammo components the same are live ammo; inert or not!

In that case roll up daily weekly to the local cop shop and annoy the s**t out of them hopefully they will then get the s**ts and change this retarded law.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 15 Mar 2018, 3:54 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:

In that case roll up daily weekly to the local cop shop and annoy the s**t out of them hopefully they will then get the s**ts and change this retarded law.

That would be the go...every firearm owner take one or two cases to their local every single day...lol...bludy d1ckheads...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2018, 4:22 pm

"In that case roll up daily weekly to the local cop shop and annoy the s**t out of them hopefully they will then get the s**ts and change this retarded law"

Read my mind. They will soon tire of the paperwork. :thumbsup:

Same with boat flares in Vic. But when you drop them off they look at you stupid. Only about 5% if that get handed in.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 15 Mar 2018, 4:31 pm

What about 22 shells are they the same? Every one needs to be handed in. What are they trying to do make money in the scrap metal trade?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2018, 7:18 pm

Hard to believe, isn't it!!! :unknown:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stix » 16 Mar 2018, 9:21 am

So is this "law" actually true...?
& if so is anyone doing anything about this "law"...?

If this is legit, surely we as lafo's can't just 'let this happen'...even if its in another state...its beyond ridiculous--lock up empty brass, please...
Whats next--have to have paper plates in the house so i dont hurt people if i throw one at them...please...

What can be done so it doesnt spread east...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 16 Mar 2018, 9:39 am

Yeah stix its legit
Just another example of stupidity to be found in wa firearms legislation/regulations. :crazy: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Mar 2018, 11:16 am

Well i think its pretty scary that a government in this country can just make a law like that...

We are being walked over-& i dont just mean shooters--& we do nothing about it...

To those in WA--do you all just put up with this...?
Are you doing anything proactively to rid your existance of this utter fukwitism...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 16 Mar 2018, 5:11 pm

Stix wrote:To those in WA--do you all just put up with this...?
Are you doing anything proactively to rid your existance of this utter fukwitism...?

I'm sure there are those that don't like it and try to fight it but even on this forum there are west aussies that tell ya there's nothing wrong with their laws and consider themselves "lucky" to be able to own a firearm. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 16 Mar 2018, 7:04 pm

Its hard to imagine haveing a few plinking shots off the table on the back veranda, then collecting the shells and either locking them up or making a trip to the police station. I pick most of them up most of the time (just to be neat and tidy) and put them in the bin.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Mar 2018, 9:41 pm

bentaz wrote:Yup drop one 22 case in each day on you're way home from work and request a recipit if every one of you comrades did this I'm guessing they'd get around to unf@#king that law. :drinks:

Thumbs-up .jpg
Thumbs-up .jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 10842 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Mar 2018, 10:22 pm

I always pick them up so as not to rubbish the bush. The safe I put them in cost me a small fortune. :lol:

Jokes aside, what do they do at the ranges over there?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 16 Mar 2018, 10:26 pm

I am a plumber and regularly scrap copper and brass and it goes in the brass bucket and gets melted down.Never had a problem in 30 years.I doubt anyone has ever "handed it in"
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 16 Mar 2018, 10:32 pm

Its probably in the fine print about what to do with unwanted ammo.Some explosives and detonaters were found in the bush near a remote roadhouse I worked at and we called the police and they came out and collected it no problems
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by sungazer » 17 Mar 2018, 8:35 am

Dont worry OB they all get picked up the misses has cleaning OCD. if in the bush I would pick them up not only a mess but a bad look on shooters. Not sure if I like the grief she gives me, perhaps I do and just leave one or two to get a reaction. :D
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by duncan61 » 17 Mar 2018, 12:34 pm

I have a Winchester 5 shot .22LR that I obtained for my mates grand children its not uncommon for them to go through 500-700 rds when we go to the farm for 2 days and when I reload a 100x .222 there is always 2-3 split neck cases does not seem to happen with .243 and 7mm Rem Mag.It goes to the scrap dealer with old brass traps and tapware when I do renovations.Where is this lock up brass rule I have a display starting at cat shot and ending in 416 Rigby on the shelf with projectiles in.You all worry to much.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 17 Mar 2018, 1:42 pm

duncan61 wrote:I have a Winchester 5 shot .22LR that I obtained for my mates grand children its not uncommon for them to go through 500-700 rds when we go to the farm for 2 days and when I reload a 100x .222 there is always 2-3 split neck cases does not seem to happen with .243 and 7mm Rem Mag.It goes to the scrap dealer with old brass traps and tapware when I do renovations.Where is this lock up brass rule I have a display starting at cat shot and ending in 416 Rigby on the shelf with projectiles in.You all worry to much.

Schedule 4 : ammunition includes anything manufactured as component of ammunition designed for discharge from a firearm.

This is wa legislation.
Maybe you should sit down and read the current legislation for your state. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Grumpy » 17 Mar 2018, 8:48 pm

Possessing casings for calibres not on your licence can have the potential to bring you unstuck big time if you’re not careful.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 18 Mar 2018, 9:17 am

Grumpy wrote:Possessing casings for calibres not on your licence can have the potential to bring you unstuck big time if you’re not careful.

Yep and even if ya have a ammo collectors license the collection must be stored the same as live ammunition :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Mar 2018, 12:42 pm

Daddybang wrote:Yep and even if ya have a ammo collectors license the collection must be stored the same as live ammunition :drinks:

Laugh.jpeg
Laugh.jpeg (19.71 KiB) Viewed 10704 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by holden4th » 18 Mar 2018, 5:01 pm

You do not have to lock away your spent brass in WA if it is deprimed or the primer has been set off. All you have to do is make sure it is securely stored. For example, if you put your brass in nondescript containers in a locked premises then it's securely stored. My brother has brass all over the place but his home/garage is alarmed and monitored. However, just locking up the property is enough. The same goes for projectiles.

Common opinion seems to be that you must lock your brass/projies away but nobody has produced any documentation from the firearms act to back up these statements and that is because you don't have to. Once that brass leaves your property, the law changes.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 18 Mar 2018, 6:00 pm

holden4th wrote:You do not have to lock away your spent brass in WA if it is deprimed or the primer has been set off. All you have to do is make sure it is securely stored. For example, if you put your brass in nondescript containers in a locked premises then it's securely stored. My brother has brass all over the place but his home/garage is alarmed and monitored. However, just locking up the property is enough. The same goes for projectiles.

Common opinion seems to be that you must lock your brass/projies away but nobody has produced any documentation from the firearms act to back up these statements and that is because you don't have to. Once that brass leaves your property, the law changes.

Check out schedule four as I posted above.
"Ammunition includes ANYTHING manufactured as a component of ammunition designed for discharge from a firearm. "
Then read the faqs on the wapol website that state that the storage laws for ammunition are generic and are also applicable to ammunition held on a collectors license.
Schedule four also describes the storage reqs for firearms and ammunition. I haven't been able to find any exceptions for spent or deprimed brass anywhere. :unknown:
:drinks:

Sorry I can't provide the direct links as im computer dyslexic :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Mar 2018, 6:12 pm

I agree. IMO Schedule 4 includes all parts that make up ammunition. In practice a cop may not care but a if your stiff a judge could see it differently and hit you with a conviction if not stored as legislated.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Western Australia gun laws