Australia to ban 338 Lapua

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Australia to ban 338 Lapua

Post by fawksel » 04 Mar 2014, 9:15 am

G'day,

I don't know if this is just the rumour mill working overtime, but does anyone know if it's right that Australia is going to ban 338 Lapua?

I know the .338 is a bit on the nose for our Gov, but it's not yet treated like 50 cal.

I thought it was still ok to get though if you're doing target shooting, any official word if that's going to change?
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Australia to ban 338 Lapua

Post by Gregg » 04 Mar 2014, 10:21 am

As I understand it they're not allowed at many ranges, but that's due to the zoning or distance or whatever not being large/long enough for the calibre.

They're not "banned" per se, rather just unable to be shot at these ranges.

That's my understanding anyway.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm

watch out, they'll ban nerf guns in fiddy cal soon
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 04 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm

Just the usual from the anti-gun brigade.

Trying to take away our guns 1 calibre at a time.

Nothing (at this stage) about completely banning it though, just restricted as to where you can shoot it.

Having said that though, it can effectively be the same thing :(
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Releb » 05 Mar 2014, 12:23 pm

There was talk of the SSAA banning it at their ranges a while ago, but if I remember right this was actually due to one individual who was agro over them for some personal reason.

I believe the quote was "if they can afford to shoot .338 Lapua they can afford to shoot it somewhere else".

Some personal crap from one bloke, not the associations policy.
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Prios » 05 Mar 2014, 12:57 pm

Pffft, tosser.

Way to stand up for your sport... try and ban something because your jealous someone else has nicer toys.
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by John » 08 Apr 2020, 8:20 am

I haven’t heard of them banning them but there are some at ranges that don’t appreciate the finer things in life you’ve worked hard to get.
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 08 Apr 2020, 9:59 am

WA is one place where you will have a better chance of getting a 50cal than a 338 at the moment, some "leading pollies* were "enlightened" by dimwitted peon that if you watch American Sniper you will see a bloke shoot a guy in the eye from 2km away with a 300winmag and 338 lapua. So now trying to get anything that has decent muzzle energy is pointless, you will have to take it to the SAT.

Basically from what I was told, any firearm that has the same or similar energy at 500m as a 300winmag has at the muzzle is not going to be approved.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by scoot » 08 Apr 2020, 10:57 am

Nigh impossible to get a pta for 338 lap in SA
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 08 Apr 2020, 3:34 pm

Given the size and weight of my 338 lap, it's the last gun I would recommend for nutters to go postal with.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Apr 2020, 9:38 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Given the size and weight of my 338 lap, it's the last gun I would recommend for nutters to go postal with.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RedSky7 » 17 Apr 2020, 2:46 am

Releb wrote:There was talk of the SSAA banning it at their ranges a while ago, but if I remember right this was actually due to one individual who was agro over them for some personal reason.

I believe the quote was "if they can afford to shoot .338 Lapua they can afford to shoot it somewhere else".

Some personal crap from one bloke, not the associations policy.

Nothing worse than shooters trying to suppress other shooters and putting up extra red tape needlessly- I see it all the time! the SSAA needs a change of guard. Sydney SSAA seem to want change
Glock 17
Beretta 92fs
Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 (savage)
Mauser K98k
Adler B220
RedSky7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Grandadbushy » 17 Apr 2020, 4:58 am

Given half a chance they'll take everything gun related
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gary » 21 Apr 2020, 12:06 am

I have a 338 win mag that's more than enough. No range in WA will allow you to shoot a 338 lapis or 50bmg. The police will give you a licence to shoot one on a large enough farm or station. As they have told me in person, " If you can supply a good enough reason, we will give you a licence, no problem"
Gary
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by AussieCapitalist » 21 Apr 2020, 4:44 pm

Australia as in the commonwealth can not "ban" anything firearm related as the states dictate firearm laws.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 21 Apr 2020, 5:27 pm

Gary wrote:I have a 338 win mag that's more than enough. No range in WA will allow you to shoot a 338 lapis or 50bmg. The police will give you a licence to shoot one on a large enough farm or station. As they have told me in person, " If you can supply a good enough reason, we will give you a licence, no problem"

Ella valla and southern districts do, seen it first hand
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 21 Apr 2020, 5:28 pm

I'm more than happy to run a suppressor on my lap mag at the range, if one were available to me.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Green » 06 Nov 2022, 11:11 am

Ziege wrote:
Gary wrote:I have a 338 win mag that's more than enough. No range in WA will allow you to shoot a 338 lapis or 50bmg. The police will give you a licence to shoot one on a large enough farm or station. As they have told me in person, " If you can supply a good enough reason, we will give you a licence, no problem"

Pretty sure Ella is the longest non military range in Australia approximately 2.7km, would love to get up there one day.
Green
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Faedy » 06 Nov 2022, 12:46 pm

Green wrote:
Ziege wrote:

Ella Valla is no longer. Station has been sold.to Twiggy Forest.
Thar range had govt issues for quite a while

Pretty sure Ella is the longest non military range in Australia approximately 2.7km, would love to get up there one day.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by straightshooter » 07 Nov 2022, 7:14 am

All publicly used ranges are licenced by firearms registries.
An officer once called an "inspector of ranges" sets the the maximum caliber and maximum muzzle energy according to the range's available safety template, range safety discipline and the kind of shooting taking place.
Casual shooters can grumble as much as they like about restrictions but the range operator has only one choice comply or lose the range licence.
I believe Silverdale has come close to being shut down a number of times due to the actions of shooters doing their own thing.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 10 Nov 2022, 6:09 pm

Just write to Politicians and ask them to please supply the statistics of how many people were murdered with a 338 Lapua in what ever state . They will be stumped .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Larry » 10 Nov 2022, 6:24 pm

I dont believe it. It would be a very slippery slope if you start banning certain calibers. I am sure that's what they would be hoping for anyway. Whats next or should come first the 50 BMG or the 375 Chetac.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws