Travel from QLD to VIC through NSW

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Travel from QLD to VIC through NSW

Post by MtnMan » 01 Jun 2023, 7:37 pm

Hi, I have a trip planned from my home in QLD through NSW to VIC. Don't think I'll have to pass through the ACT.

Will be travelling with my Cat B centerfire bolt action. Win Mod70 in .270Win.

Anything special I need to know? Is it ok for the gun to be in a padded case on the floor in front of the back seat of my dual cab? bolt out, ammo in cab?
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Travel from QLD to VIC through NSW

Post by Gamerancher » 01 Jun 2023, 9:25 pm

Provided you don't leave the vehicle unattended. Otherwise you will need to secure it a bit better.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by MtnMan » 01 Jun 2023, 10:01 pm

How? There is no boot to lock it in.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by S O K A R » 01 Jun 2023, 11:18 pm

MtnMan wrote:How? There is no boot to lock it in.

From my understanding just cart it as you usually would in a bag/case, trigger lock, throw a rug over top of it to disguise it etc.
Try not to leave it unattended anymore then is absolutely necessary and always lock the car even if paying for fuel etc.
That would be my take on it.

All licence holders in NSW are subject to the general requirement for safe storage of firearms - section 39 of the
Firearms Act 1996 (Act). Any person in possession of a firearm must take all reasonable precautions to ensure the
firearm is kept safely, is not lost or stolen and does not come into the possession of an unauthorised person.

Travelling through NSW (Category A, B or H)
An interstate resident who holds the equivalent of a category A, B, or H firearms licence issued in their State or
Territory of residence, may lawfully possess a firearm (possess only, not use) of a kind to which a corresponding
category A, B or H licence issued in this State applies, but only while:
• Travelling through NSW, or
• After acquiring the firearm from a licensed NSW firearms dealer, or
• Taking it to a licensed NSW firearms dealer for the purposes of sale, repair, servicing or modification.
Note: Possession only, not use.

So as long as you make an effort to do just that, I don't see you having an issue.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/131184/Transportation_Fact_Sheet.pdf

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/182281/FACT_SHEET_Interstate_Recognition.pdf
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by womble » 02 Jun 2023, 4:37 am

Just get in and out of nsw as quick as you can. And take a wide birth around Sydney. Do not attempt to drive through Sydney under no circumstances.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 02 Jun 2023, 6:30 am

Why no Sydney? Do they stop every single car and check for guns? I'll be picking up my mate in Buxton on the way down.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Larry » 02 Jun 2023, 7:58 am

I would invest in a bike lock and put it through the action and if there is anything you can also attach it to, do it. That is the way I have been instructed by NSW coppers and NSW NRA.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 02 Jun 2023, 8:27 am

It all comes down to the "all reasonable precautions" part of the requirements.
The problem is when you leave your vehicle, the following applies.

NOTE: At no time should a firearm be left stored unattended in a motor
vehicle unless the firearms are stored in accordance with the
requirements of category C, D & H firearms
and no other alternative safe
storage is available.

What are the legislative requirements in relation to
transportation of category C, D & H firearms?

Category C, D & H firearms must be conveyed unloaded, with the
ammunition kept in a locked container separate from the firearms.
The firearm must be rendered temporarily incapable of being fired (e.g.
by removal of the bolt/firing mechanism or the use of trigger locks) or
must be kept in a locked container that is properly secured to, or is within
the vehicle.

A firearm in a bag sitting on the floor is not very secure. The suggestion to use a steel cable run through the seat frame and then though the action and locked is a good one. It adds a good extra step that you have taken. At least then a "smash and grab" isn't going to work for a would be thief.

No, you will not get pulled over just to check for firearms.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jun 2023, 10:31 am

For Victoria. I use a trigger lock and small cash box for ammo if just a day outing. Removal of the bolt and hide it or lock it up is another option.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/firearm-storage

Resized_Screenshot_20230602-102736_Samsung_Internet.jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20230602-102736_Samsung_Internet.jpeg (227.97 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 02 Jun 2023, 8:08 pm

Personally I use a hard case which is both padlocked and cable locked to a hardpoint in the car (the seat adjuster or child seat attachment point in the back) with the ammo in a separate locked box inside along with the bolt out of the rifle and in the hard case. All gets covered with a blanket along with any blaze orange or other hunting gear. I also always make sure my wallet is on me so I don't have to go pulling gear out in the event of ever needing it (forgot fuel, pulled over etc.).

Don't be like a mate of mine who was transporting a few firearms loose on the back seat even though he was only driving 20min. He lost a wheel and the first car along who stopped to help him was the local copper :allegedly:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws