Importing an Anschutz 22lr target rifle from NZ

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Importing an Anschutz 22lr target rifle from NZ

Post by OxxAndBert » 10 Jun 2024, 7:34 pm

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section - please move it if there's somewhere more appropriate.

I'm wanting to import a an old Anschutz 54 match from NZ and struggling to get info on how to go about it.
The rifle belongs to my elderly father-in-law and isn't anything super special, mostly sentimental value and would be great to have in a few years when the grandsons get old enough to get them into shooting.

I've got a VIC firearms license and was initially hoping to set up all the paperwork and just bring it back with me as checked luggage when I next visit NZ.
Understand I need a B709 permit to import, have to surrender it to border security on entry and need a dealer at this end to handle the import, but I'm not having much joy with the requirements at the NZ end.
I've made a few phone calls to the likes of customs in NZ to find out if there's anything special I have to do to permanently take it out of the country, but just got bounced around a few different departments with the "sorry - we don't handle that, I'll forward you to XYZ dept".
I'm also aware of the issue of needing some sort of temporary approval/permit from NZ police to physically possess it between the FIL's place and the airport. The permit process is spelt out clearly if you're taking you're own rifle across to NZ temporarily for hunting or competing, but nothing about a temporary possession permit. I haven't bothered to call NZ police yet as its a bit pointless unless I can sort out the export side.

I've pretty much resigned myself to having to do the more "normal" process of getting it sent from NZ by someone who knows the hoops, and find a dealer to handle this end.

Anyone been through the process that could shed some light on the easiest way to do it or pitfalls to avoid.
If you can recommend a dealer in Melbourne that handles this sort of import would be great.

Steve
OxxAndBert
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Importing an Anschutz 22lr target rifle from NZ

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2024, 2:08 pm

OxxAndBert wrote:Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section - please move it if there's somewhere more appropriate.

I'm wanting to import a an old Anschutz 54 match from NZ and struggling to get info on how to go about it.
The rifle belongs to my elderly father-in-law and isn't anything super special, mostly sentimental value and would be great to have in a few years when the grandsons get old enough to get them into shooting.

I've got a VIC firearms license and was initially hoping to set up all the paperwork and just bring it back with me as checked luggage when I next visit NZ.
Understand I need a B709 permit to import, have to surrender it to border security on entry and need a dealer at this end to handle the import, but I'm not having much joy with the requirements at the NZ end.
I've made a few phone calls to the likes of customs in NZ to find out if there's anything special I have to do to permanently take it out of the country, but just got bounced around a few different departments with the "sorry - we don't handle that, I'll forward you to XYZ dept".
I'm also aware of the issue of needing some sort of temporary approval/permit from NZ police to physically possess it between the FIL's place and the airport. The permit process is spelt out clearly if you're taking you're own rifle across to NZ temporarily for hunting or competing, but nothing about a temporary possession permit. I haven't bothered to call NZ police yet as its a bit pointless unless I can sort out the export side.

I've pretty much resigned myself to having to do the more "normal" process of getting it sent from NZ by someone who knows the hoops, and find a dealer to handle this end.

Anyone been through the process that could shed some light on the easiest way to do it or pitfalls to avoid.
If you can recommend a dealer in Melbourne that handles this sort of import would be great.

Steve

I have no idea about the NZ end but surely anybody with a licence for that class of firearm is allowed to transport it to the airport or to a dealer?
I would just have a local dealer there sort it and not get tied up in the paperwork.
You'll need a B709 at this end, and a dealer's licence acting for you. The firearm arrives here at BF and your dealer (the one you listed on the B709) has to take the original B709 to BF to physically collect it. Once it is on the Dealer's licence then you only need a Permit to Acquire for him to transfer it to your licence.
Any dealer should be able to do an import, my dealer down here sorted two rifles I imported with zero issues. He didn't even charge me for his two-hour trips up to BF.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jun 2024, 4:48 pm

Perhaps try John at:
Centreway firearms
65 Wyong St, Keilor East 3033

Not far from Tullamarine, so he may deal with that type of thing.
Great LGS.

PM sent
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
A bit more bang is better.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Jun 2024, 6:04 pm

G'day OxxAndBert,
Contact Gun City, they have exported here to Oz before, another option is private citizens can export up to 5 firearms, but you need an Export Permit, go to MFAT.govt.nz for more info if you wish to do it yourself, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by OxxAndBert » 13 Jun 2024, 8:12 pm

Thanks guys - appreciate the info and suggestions.
I'll make some phone calls tomorrow.
OxxAndBert
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by OxxAndBert » 14 Jun 2024, 11:32 am

Good progress today.
Centreway Firearms can handle the pickup from customs once its cleared (they don't get involved in the import paperwork), B709A application submitted and have spoken to the guys at Gun City in NZ.
FWIW I checked on how long a B709 is valid for once issued - its 6 months but you can request to have that extended with a good reason.
Looks like its all coming together :)
OxxAndBert
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws